TotalBoat Lust vs. Cetol

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Any direct experience on these products regarding longevity?

I like the idea of TotalBoat Lust since it can be recoated in 1 hour, vs. 24 hours for Cetol.

Thanks,

jv

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I have Cetol on my teak for over 5 years (3 coats), put a new coat on every 2 years, still looks great. The 24 hour - 2 week interval is a pain when doing multiple coats but no complaints on longevity.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
I applied Lust to my stern seats. They’ve only been on for 1.5 years now, but they still look great. My dock neighbor’s boat is loaded with brightwork and he asked what i used. I mean, only 1.5 years but hey, it’s a data point.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I applied Lust to my stern seats. They’ve only been on for 1.5 years now, but they still look great. My dock neighbor’s boat is loaded with brightwork and he asked what i used. I mean, only 1.5 years but hey, it’s a data point.
Nice. How many coats?

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
Nice. How many coats?
My memory is somewhat fuzzy here. I had brought the seats home and it ended up being my covid project. Either 5 or 6 coats. Application is dead simple with the short recoat time. I only sanded the layer prior to the final layer. I was going to post a picture, but there's no way I'm following Ralph's artwork.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Five coats of System 3 epoxy and three coats of varnish.
I have often considered that method. Any reason for using system 3 ? I have a bunch of west system but I figure that the clear hardener would be the one to use.

I always understood that the varnish layers would need occasional recoat.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I have often considered that method. Any reason for using system 3 ?
Use any brand of clear epoxy as they're all the same. The System 3 instruction manual is excellent.

I always understood that the varnish layers would need occasional recoat.
According to the bible, the varnish does a much better job over epoxy rather than wood as epoxy supplies a rock hard base. Seems to work in my case.

Remember this one phrase "hermetically sealed" and you're guaranteed success.

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Oh, well, I was hoping to hear from folks regarding Cetol vs. Lust.

Completely different products, one is a varnish, one is coating.
Yes, I know. I was hoping to hear comments regarding longevity, as I said in the original post.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Too many factors to give a definitive answer, really depends on the application and the application of the product.

In general Cetol does a better job than most finishes on toe rails because it breathes, until it is covered with gloss.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Too many factors to give a definitive answer, really depends on the application and the application of the product.

In general Cetol does a better job than most finishes on toe rails because it breathes, until it is covered with gloss.
Ah, please elaborate! I was thinking of a bunch of coats of Cetol natural followed by a couple of gloss.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm also curious about the differences between Lust and Gleem. I've used Gleem and like it, but not for enough years to talk it up.

Jan 11, 2014
I'm also curious about the differences between Lust and Gleem. I've used Gleem and like it, but not for enough years to talk it up.
I've used Lust, Gleam, and Halcyon. I really like Halcyon and used it extensively on interior woodwork. It's easy to work with, dries quickly, low VOC, and has a finish I like and comes close to matching the factory finish.

Four years ago I used Gleam on some exertion teak, most of it has held up well.

Bob Emser on The Art of Boatbuilding uses Lust thinned to 50%. I tried that on some exterior woodwork this year, it goes on easily, flows nicely, dries quickly. It takes some skill to keep the varnish on the brush between the tray and the work piece, the 50/50 mix tends to flow off the brush quickly.

Jan 11, 2014
Ah, please elaborate! I was thinking of a bunch of coats of Cetol natural followed by a couple of gloss.
Cetol is permeable to water vapor, this helps it to adhere to wood that gets wet. The vapor can escape instead of lifting the finish off the wood. In applications such as toe rails which are often immersed, this is an advantage.

Carol gloss is not vapor permeable. The main benefit of Cetol is lost.

Cetol also uses pigments which tend to hide the wood's beauty.