Interior stain color for 1994 Hunter 40.5

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
1994 Hunter Legend 40.5

I've had to remove some screw hole bungs to do some work and have teak bungs to replace them.

I know there have been discussions on interior finishes but can't find a definitive answer. It looks like it has a "cherry" color of some sort and I think I recall some marketing info saying something like it having a "warm cherry finish." I tried Sea Fin on the back side of one of the solid teak trim pieces and it is just too brown. I also "think" I recall that Hunter used Mohawk stains and finishes but most of the info that I can find on that is for the Hunters in the mid to late 2000s.

Do any 1990s Legend series Hunter owners know what stain would be closest. Of course I can try "mixing" until I get near the right color but call me lazy but before I start that I thought I'd call on the collective knowledge of this forum.

Thanks in advance

IMG_20240525_115245_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I wish I could offer a color in a can solution. The challenge is two fold. Your boat has been exposed to UV light and ambient air conditions. The original color blend has aged. The original color will be too dark and will not match the surrounding material. Further complexity, to get your bungs to fit smooth in their homes, you will need to cut and sand the surface exposing fresh wood and modifying (buffing) the surface surrounding the bung hole. Now we have 3 colors plus varnish.

I am afraid to get a near perfect match you will need to sharpen your artistic color matching and painting skills.:banghead:
Best wishes...
John

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I've had to remove some screw hole bungs to do some work and have teak bungs to replace them.
We have the same issue.

Take a picture of the Teak color you want to match and go to Sherwin William Store to match it.
But...

My Admiral just told me "Teak Oil" we have on our boat is Stain/Oil combination.
She said that should work.

Jim...

PS: Look what we need to do :facepalm:
BungsTeak.jpeg

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Better than taking a picture. I have one of the trim pieces. We have a Sherwin Williams commercial paint store about 3 miles from our house so I'll whip by there this afternoon. Great idea. Why didn't I think of that? :facepalm: Thanks

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My business has a World Wide Sherwin Williams Account !

Funny how Landlubber Business get discounts.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 11.51.50 AM.png

Jim...

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Well, it turns out that Sherwin Williams can use the color comparator to match paint colors but does not do the same for "custom stain" colors. They have stock mixes with associated sample cards and they can start from one of those and then mix stains based on trial and error, but I can do the same thing. In fact, the Minwax "Gunstock" is very very close to the correct color match and with a little tweaking I think I can zero in on a match.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
In the FWIW department, we coincidentally have a wood refinished guy doing some work on a piece of furniture so I asked his opinion. “Sometimes it easier to re-stain the whole area than to try to match a color”.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
In the FWIW department, we coincidentally have a wood refinished guy doing some work on a piece of furniture so I asked his opinion. “Sometimes it easier to re-stain the whole area than to try to match a color”.
......and the "simple project" snowballs. Maybe it's easier to just get a new boat. Just sayin'......

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Rich...I like the cut of your jib.:biggrin:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::beer:

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Smokey, you might also consider a bit of Fruitwood in the mix. Also leave a bit of room for the varnish to add color.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
OK, @smokey73 , AKA Dan, I looked into my archives of random and often useless h40.5 notes, and I have found the products that I was told were used on my 1997 model. For your 1994, YMMV.
For the Floor: Dalys Profin Oil
For the walls and cabinets: Dalys Seafin Teak Oil
Both are available on Amazon
Or you could just get a different sailboat.......

• Ha
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks @Rich Stidger and @JamesG161 I used the Dalys Profin for the Cabin Sole and it came out great! I also used the Dalys Seafin to refresh the Cabin and that looks great too. However, the Seafin on the bare or sanded wood where the plugs will be installed is just a little too brown. I am experimenting with some stains and right now it looks like the Minwax Gunstock is very very close. Now I have to put several coats of the Seafin and see what the finished product looks like. I can adjust the color with a drop at a time of fruitwood or cherry stain if necessary. When I'm done I'll post results.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I have a fruitwood /gunstock blend on the interior window trim of my home. I works blended a drop at a time.