Trident propane sensor fail

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
I have the Trident gas sensor on the boat

In the propane locker is the remote sensor 1300-7720
It failed and after searching discovered that they do not last very long

Been phoning everywhere and nobody has them in stock

Anyone have a source for them that has stock?

Should i be thinking about carrying a spare?

Thks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The sensors are sensitive to moisture. I've had one fail when it got wet otherwise I've had no difficulty. For critical items like this I do carry a spare.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fisheries Supply in Seattle will ship parts.
they are Out of Stock on the sensor, but do have a kit. Twice the money.

Trident lists these online retailers

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Try this at your own risk. The Trident solenoid control requires connected sensors to have a negative reading. The control I have can accept 3 sensors and they provide 2 by pass connectors, this forces you to have at least one sensor connected. These connectors trick the control in believing there is a sensor connected and it is negative, i.e., no organic vapors. It is easy to build your own.

The connectors have 4 positions, using the supplied dummy connectors identify which 2 terminals need to be connected. Cut off the lead from the failed connector and connect the 2 wires to form a shunt. Plug it into the cable leading to the controller. This will let the controller "believe" it has a working sensor and will allow the solenoid to open.

Modern propane systems have multiple safety devices built in. The pigtails have blow out protection, if the pigtail is breached the connector to the will close limiting the amount of propane that can escape. The other hose components have similar connectors. This makes the system pretty safe to operate without the sensors. The sensors are important in the case of a slow leak, where the gas escapes at below blow pressures. It is also sensitive to various organic vapors, like diesel, alcohol, and others.

While this hack works, it is not ABYC compliant or even close to it and should be used only as a temporary fix, use at your own risk.

Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
Funny. I just bought one of these a few weeks ago and found them widely available. But, sure enough, I'm not finding them now. I wonder why.

Apr 25, 2024
Fuji 32 Bellingham
As for the sensors being sensitive to moisture and such, we had one installed near the bilge in the engine compartment. We had our engine overheat (a completely different story <sigh>) causing the coolant to boil over and fill the engine compartment with steam. This triggered the propane detector, which just added a sense of panic to an already crappy situation. Now we know about this sensitivity, so no big deal, but it was a moment of urgent dread.

On a related note, I'm not sure about the usefulness of putting a detector in the propane locker itself - assuming that is where the solenoid is located. Of course, it is not wrong, and it does serve a purpose. But, if I were to disable a sensor temporarily (as Dave describes), that would be the first one I disabled. This is because, if there is a leak in the locker, it is almost certainly upwind of the solenoid. So, closing the solenoid will not help. Obviously, the alarm itself is useful information. So, having the detector is certainly better than not.

Yet, if the locker is properly vented, you could have a leak in the locker that never triggered the detector.

I am super cautious about propane, so we shut the cylinder off when not in use. The remote solenoid switch (in the galley) is really just a backup for us. The cylinder gets turned on before using the stove and turned off when dinner is served. And, the propane locker stays open when the cylinder is open. So, we don't have a sensor in the locker.

I realize that's a tangent to the original question. But, I do think that disabling that sensor with a jumper is completely acceptable, particularly as a temporary measure, since you can easily mitigate any danger by simply closing the cylinder when not in use.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
dlochner
thks for the reply
you do have skills

will phone trident on monday