Is my foresail too big?

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
I recently bought a hunter 26.5 with pretty new sails. The foresail is a genoa with a luff length of 30'-2". The "I" length for this boat is 29'-5". The "j" length is 9'-5". When I do the math, the usable forestay length is about 30'-10". So this means the sail is taking up about 98% of the forestay.

It's hitting the life line a bit more than I'd like which is why I ask. Is there an ideal luff length with my dimensions or am I OK with this sail and just need to skirt it?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Can’t you just leave a few turns on the furler?
The extra sail area might be nice on a run.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It’s pretty typical for a genoa to lay on the lifelines and need to be skirted. That’s just a compromise for the performance it provides. Going to a smaller sail gives less power, and having the sail higher on the forestay leaves the center of effort up higher which is its own compromise.

Can’t you just leave a few turns on the furler?
The extra sail area might be nice on a run.
I never found a partially furled sail to be very efficient or good for pointing. A foam luff can help but still a pretty substantial drop off from the designed performance.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Your boat is a fractional rig. You do not need a genoa, because fractional rigs rely on their mainsail to provide most of the driving power. The headsail's primary job is to improve air flow over the main....and provide balance of course. If you think your headsail is too big, or you find it more difficult to handle than you like, by all means, make it smaller. The reduced size will have minimal effect on performance. My advice is to find a sailmaker who will re cut your sail to fit your style. I would definitely get the sail off the deck, it'll be easier to handle with less lifeline interference and even better, it will be easier to see forward. At this point, your forestay is restricting hoisting the sail any higher, so some kind of adjustment to the sail is needed... that's why consulting a sailmaker can help. Once you've shortened the sail's luff, you use a wire pendant to extend the tack connection.
No lofts in your are? I'm sure there are many folks on this forum who can recommend someone. good luck

Mar 7, 2024
Hunter 26.5 Deale
Thank you, I may get a sailmaker to alter it. I live near Annapolis so shouldn't have issue finding one

Your boat is a fractional rig. You do not need a genoa, because fractional rigs rely on their mainsail to provide most of the driving power. The headsail's primary job is to improve air flow over the main....and provide balance of course. If you think your headsail is too big, or you find it more difficult to handle than you like, by all means, make it smaller. The reduced size will have minimal effect on performance. My advice is to find a sailmaker who will re cut your sail to fit your style. I would definitely get the sail off the deck, it'll be easier to handle with less lifeline interference and even better, it will be easier to see forward. At this point, your forestay is restricting hoisting the sail any higher, so some kind of adjustment to the sail is needed... that's why consulting a sailmaker can help. Once you've shortened the sail's luff, you use a wire pendant to extend the tack connection.
No lofts in your are? I'm sure there are many folks on this forum who can recommend someone. good luck

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I don't know if you've done anything with your genoa yet, but IMO a genoa works nicely on a fractional rig. The 26.5 came equipped with a 110% jib, but with tracks installed the inboard shrouds are designed to accommodate a larger genoa. It takes a little more attention to manage the slot upwind and not get a luff bubble on the main, but it can really help performance on all points. The large round hole at the forestay deck connection was designed to install the furler lower to have a deck sweeping genoa for performance. Here is a photo I found online of someone's 26.5 with a nicely set probably 135% genoa. There is a Facebook group dedicated to Hunter 26.5's, although it doesn't get a lot of posts. And I'm still trying to get rolling on my project 26.5, but been too busy sailing my other Hunter. Good luck with yours.
IMG_0661.JPG

Sep 2, 2024
Hunter Hunter 23 Buffalo
You could add a short pendant on the bottom between the tack fitting and the tack. This will allow the sail to shift up the forestay more helping it to clear the lifeline. Try a short piece of line and if you like the results you could have a stainless cable made at the correct length.
Good Sailing
Dale

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
What is the foot length? If it's 150%, you might consider keeping it as your light air sail and pick up a smaller 110% jib for windy days. With no furler, it's no chore to chose which sail best meets the conditions.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I would say that the sail is too long on the luff if you cannot put full halyard tension on without jamming the halyard on the halyard sheave. Or if class association rules specify a certain luff length.
A 135% on a fractional rig? Nothing wrong with it if you can place the jib leads in a suitable position. Of course the sail has to be outside the shrouds which would compromise upwind shape as compared to a 98% jibe which could be trimmed to a more flat shape inside the shrouds.
Masthead rigs of the 70's and 80's. took advantage of the IOR rule which didn't penalize boats for a larger jib. The rig wasn't necessarily better than fractional rigs which were popular in yachting prior to IOR. If you don't believe a racing rule could influence a whole generation of boatbuilding you need to look at the history.
Bigger isn't necessarily faster. If the boat sail plan wasn't designed for the bigger jib it may be overpowered sooner. Since it can't be reefed and changing headsails isn't viable for around buoys racing or day sailing, the only option is to reef the main. That is again messing with the design.
Will the boat dig its shoulder in and go faster? Or will the driver need to use more rudder and slow the boat?
What I liked about my Mark 35, with a spindly fractional rig, is that you could take power off by simply cranking on some backstay. It was very effective.
Circling back, I would see if the sailmaker will come to the boat rather than taking the sail to the sailmaker. They generally know a lot about many boats and rigs and sail plans.