1996 440 Oceanis Choke Cable Replacement

Mar 8, 2024
Beneteau 440 Corpus Christi, Tx
Does anyone know the part number for the engine choke cable for this model Beneteau and a source? She has a Perkins 78hp BB30143 engine.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can’t help but in the absence of any specific response, all you need do is remove the cable and size the appropriate replacement. Morse cables are commonly found in any boat store differing only in length.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
A diesel will not have a choke cable, so I think you mean the fuel cutoff or "kill" cable.
Also, if you think the cable is broken because you can’t start the engine when the cable is pulled, the cable might not be broken at all. Pulling the cable will stop all fuel, making it impossible to start, rather than choking the engine and making it easier to start a gas engine.

Mar 8, 2024
Been there, done that! :beer:
Yes, the issue that I am having is that when the cable is pushed back down after the engine stops. It is not going all the way back to the ready to start position. The cable sleeve is moving with the cable which has begun to fray at the end point.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
The cable sleeve is moving with the cable which has begun to fray at the end point.
Definitely sounds like a cable replacement is in your future. Any chance a cable clamp (to add a little friction between the sleeve and the cable) could temporarily resolve the issue?

Mar 8, 2024
Definitely sounds like a cable replacement is in your future. Any chance a cable clamp (to add a little friction between the sleeve and the cable) could temporarily resolve the issue?
Working on that now to see if it will work.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I replaced the cable on my 1988 boat about 20 years ago which had the same problem you describe. It has worked perfectly ever since. I always make sure to push it back down as soon as the engine quits so that the sleeve is not exposed to weather and the top seal is more protected by the handle. Do not know if it makes a huge difference but the original cable lasted less than 15-years and became inoperable. The new cable is at least 20-years old and still works perfectly.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I would be surprised if there was an actual part that was manufactured for the specific length of the cable in your installation. Most of those sheath/cables come in fixed lengths like 6/9/12 feet. Just pull the original one out and buy one that is close but longer, then cut it down to the right size. Also, and obviously, pull the inner cable out enough when cutting the sheath, then cut the cable to length.