DC breaker/switch panel questions

Seadoc

Aug 4, 2016
Macgregor 25 Virginia
I'm doing a rewire of my '85 Mac 25. Would like your thoughts on how many circuits I'll need so I can get the correct DC panel. Here's what I want to include:
(1) NIGHTTIME LIGHTS: Bow, Masthead, Stern, Knot meter light, depth sounder light, compass light. (2) ANCHOR LIGHT. (3) HOUSE LIGHTS (LEDs). (4) VHF. (5) CHART PLOTTER. (6) TILLER AUTO PILOT. (7) DEPTH SOUNDER (instrument itself, not the light). (BILGE PUMP. (9) RADIO (music). (10) 12 volt PLUG/USB OUTLET. (11) SPARE.
Recommendations and sources on panel brands will also be helpful.
Thanks.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Conventional wisdom is to run the bilge pump direct to the battery bank with a dedicated on/off/ manual breaker switch. The rest is largely personal preference considering spreading loads.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You should not run your deck level navigation lights (bow and stern) with a masthead tri-color - you can run either but not both at once so you'll need another switch or two, otherwise looks good. Blue Seas is an excellent brand.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've taken a liking to the idea of the red & green nav lights on the spreaders when under power. I think the tricolor is an unsafe system. Seeing a disembodied light scribing silly circles in the night sky does not make it easy to determine how far away that boat is, or how big. Deck or even better, pulpit mounted running lights, shine on the water and a bit on the headsail, which makes it easier to determine distance and the stern light gives an idea of length.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I've taken a liking to the idea of the red & green nav lights on the spreaders when under power. I think the tricolor is an unsafe system.
Not supposed to use the tricolor when under power.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've taken a liking to the idea of the red & green nav lights on the spreaders when under power. I think the tricolor is an unsafe system. Seeing a disembodied light scribing silly circles in the night sky does not make it easy to determine how far away that boat is, or how big. Deck or even better, pulpit mounted running lights, shine on the water and a bit on the headsail, which makes it easier to determine distance and the stern light gives an idea of length.
The tricolor is really designed for offshore sailing where being seen by fast moving ships is important. The tricolor will appear on the horizon long before deck lights will appear. Nav lights at the spreader level are not at the level most boaters will be looking, it is the same issue with masthead anchor lights, who is looking for lights 20-50' above the water. If there is any seaway, deck mounted lights will disappear and reappear, where as a tricolor will always be visible. The seaway will also disrupt any reflection from the water.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
I'd separate your breakers into your use of the boat as we normally use them as on/off switches.
Cabin - All cabin lights, fans, DC outlets, AM FM Radio. (Cabin Lights, Fans, etc have device mounted switches.)
Instruments - Chart Plotter, Depth Sounder, Auto Pilot
Night Sailing - Running lights
Night Motoring - Steaming Light
Anchoring - Anchor Light

As already said the bilge should be direct wired to the battery with a fuse at the battery. You can still install a momentary on / constant on toggle switch on the panel in place of a breaker to control the bilge pump.
For your VHF, best practice is to do the same. Wire direct to the battery, with correct fusing. I did this and put another toggle switch in the breaker panel to turn the VHF on or off.

So I'd probably go with a 8 breaker panel from Blue Sea Systems. That will give you one spare.

I did this on my boat and took it a little further. My panel has two columns of DC breakers. One column has the all the breakers used when away from the dock. The other has all of the breakers used when at the dock.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The tricolor is really designed for offshore sailing where being seen by fast moving ships is important. The tricolor will appear on the horizon long before deck lights will appear. Nav lights at the spreader level are not at the level most boaters will be looking, it is the same issue with masthead anchor lights, who is looking for lights 20-50' above the water. If there is any seaway, deck mounted lights will disappear and reappear, where as a tricolor will always be visible. The seaway will also disrupt any reflection from the water.
I can tell you from personal experience that the tricolor masthead light is extremely dangerous. One night going south through the Anegada Passage, on my way to the Orinoco River, I saw a red or green light (I don't remember which) ahead of the freighter I was operating.
It appeared to be quite a way off in the distance (I didn't think tricolor as they were fairly new) and I put down my binoculars and walked over to the radar to check it out. Before I'd even gotten to the radar, I saw the nav light slide past the port side bridge wing, at my eye level. I don't know if he'd been sailing dark before he saw me, and even though I was wide awake and keeping a good watch (I'd sailed that area for years before I took over the freighter and knew that there would be sailboats around), I didn't see the light early enough to have avoided the boat. I was roughly 50' off the water, so the tricolor, being around that high, appeared to be a deck level light some distance off.
Don't kid yourself, from 50' off the water, or more, that disembodied light is not as easy to see as you might imagine. It was much easier to see the bow or pulpit mounted leeward nav light shining off the water and spray, even as I was approaching the other side.