Furler woes

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
islander 34-2 lake michigan
Hi! I am looking for advice on some furler issues. I haven an old harken mk1 furler that has started jamming up going both directions. Sometimes I can only get my sail half way out, but it will then furl back up. Sometimes the whole sail comes out, but then won’t furl all the way. It’s like the drum just won’t turn half way through the process.. I have also noticed that the halyard it getting chewed up just past the eye, not sure if that’s related.

I do have a ratchet block on the far end and the last couple times was pretty diligent about letting the line furl slowly. Also, I have tried new line and have changed the first block angle. With no sail on, drum moves freely.

Any ideas what I should be looking for? Is it time for a new furler system?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It’s like the drum just won’t turn half way through the process.. I have also noticed that the halyard it getting chewed up just past the eye, not sure if that’s related.
Sounds like the symptoms of halyard wrap - the halyard gets wrapped around the forestay and top of the furling mechanism, jamming everything. This could be caused by too much or too little halyard tension, a bad entry angle from the halyard to the furler swivel, or sticky bearings in the swivel.

Since you say this is a new problem I’d assume the halyard angle is ok. I’d start by cleaning the swivel and making sure it moves freely, and playing with the halyard tension.

In the worst case scenario the halyard can begin to unwind the forestay wire and weaken it, so it’s best not to ignore the problem or try to power through it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
How old and crusty is your furling line?

When I replaced my line, I was amazed at how much easier the furler worked.

Greg

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
Could be you have too much tension on the jib halyard. Do you have any photos you can share?
I don’t have photos handy… but I did try with different tensions on the halyard to no success

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
The furler line is old and generating too much friction idea is worth exploring. Instead of replacing outright, you could test first by putting some Vaseline or car paste wax on it. If that helps a lot, you will know it is worth replacing once the Vaseline wears off which it will. If the "V" does nothing, look elsewhere.

I also just reminded myself that my furler was performing with a lot of resistance and it turned out that 2 of the 3 snatch blocks for the furler line were seized and not turning. Replaced them and all is smooth as silk now.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Is it time for a new furler system?
While repairing your old furler may be a fun challenge, and interesting, if you value your sailing time very much a new Harken will be less expensive. I presume you have tried it with the headstay full-on with minimal sag?
I replaced our old Mk 2, with a new Mk 4, several years ago. It started jamming up too often. It was past time for a new headstay, too, of course.

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
While repairing your old furler may be a fun challenge, and interesting, if you value your sailing time very much a new Harken will be less expensive. I presume you have tried it with the headstay full-on with minimal sag?
I replaced our old Mk 2, with a new Mk 4, several years ago. It started jamming up too often. It was past time for a new headstay, too, of course.
When upgrading, I assume that new foils are needed as well?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Bob, As @FastOlson and @Davidasailor26 have suggested, the furler is a whole system. All the parts need to work together to make the system run smoothly.

When clearing out debris that may be hindering the drum rotation, a simple yet effective method is to flush the drum with a small amount of liquid dish soap and a generous amount of water. This method has proven to be successful in many cases. The winding partway and then reversing could be a halyard wrap or a winding of the forestay by the furler extrusion.

Rather than guessing, I would start by inspecting all of the furler parts from the masthead on down.
  • Are they still serviceable?
  • Are there any issues with the swivel at the top of the furler between the mast and the halyard?
  • Are all of the extrusion parts connected?
Work your way down to the drum and then the furler line.

As was suggested, your Mk1 may have reached the end of its natural life. It's better to have this happen at the start of the season than in the middle.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Halyard wrap is a common problem arising from incorrect installation. Test by disconnecting the tack of the jib and raising the jib such that there is no more than 6" of halyard visible on the head. Then make a temporary pendant between the furler and the tack of the jib, pull down as much as possible. Now try to furle and unfurl at the dock. If successfull then go for a sail and try it out.

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
Halyard wrap is a common problem arising from incorrect installation. Test by disconnecting the tack of the jib and raising the jib such that there is no more than 6" of halyard visible on the head. Then make a temporary pendant between the furler and the tack of the jib, pull down as much as possible. Now try to furle and unfurl at the dock. If successfull then go for a sail and try it out.
gotcha… this is perfect! Thanks! Now if it works, do I just leave the pendant?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A pendant is a way of shortening the length of halyard between the top of the furler and the mast. The install manual for Harkin recommends.

This is what"Headwrap" looks like.

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 11.03.13.png

By lengthing the bottom of the sail with a pendant you place the top swivel up where it is supposed to be eliminating head wrap.
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 11.06.16.png

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Bob, yes, leave the pendant at the bottom installed. Remember that my solution is only to test if you need a pendant. If it solves the problem, then have a pendant made out of steel cable made of the same length.

bob45

Nov 14, 2023
Thanks for all the help… definitely experiencing halyard wrap, temporary pendant has made a difference. Thanks again to those that commented!