Downsizing to a 260

rbyham

May 28, 2012
Oday 23 Lanier
Is the 260 a good downsize move for me? Have owned numerous sailboats over the years and currently enjoy a Catalina 36. Turning 70 this year and moving into the fixed income years, I am contemplating either a Hunter 260 or (dare I say it here) a Catalina 250. I currently day sail 3-4 times a week in Charleston (SC) harbor. We go overnight (usually 3-4 nights) to barrier islands 5-6 times a year. Would plan to keep the boat in water at my marina but haul for maintenance. I have a 2016 Tundra so could get excited to see more of the east coast and south Florida at 70mph. Would love to hear from anyone who has similarly downsized or otherwise has an opinion about moving from a big sailboat to a 260/250. Thanks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm a little older than you and have a 36' boat like you. Downsizing will be less expensive and easier to maintain. It will also take less effort to sail as sails are smaller and forces less. The downside of downsizing is more cramped quarters and fewer creature comforts.

At my age, creature comforts are important, refrigeration, shower on board, a real head not a port-a-pottie, standing headroom, a stove, etc. We manage the extra effort with brains not brawn and bought an eWincher to manage the winch loads.

If we downsize in a few years, we'll be looking at a 30' boat to keep some of the creature comforts, while reducing the physical requirements.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
If you are getting a trailerable sailboat, you must lower and raise the mast. If you can do that, you must be in good shape to manage a 36 foot sailboat. I have a c36 and I am in your dacade. I used to have H25.5 15 years ago.
A small boat limits your sailing waters, but you can take it to a lake.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I’ll add my vote for the creature comforts. Sailing in your region, do you have AC? If I had it, I’d want to keep it! My wife and I learned of sail in our 50s, and our first boat was a Beneteau First 285. We moved up to our 34 because we were going out for cruises of more than 2 weeks at a time in areas where the lighter boat got knocked around too much. It also lacked our current refrigerator with freezer, and heater (our version of air conditioning).

Where we will struggle is with our conventional rig, with the time and effort (and reach for a couple of small people) to raise and stow the mainsail. If a furling main was as easy to use as our jib then I think, even now, that there would be more sailing segments on our cruises. We are not actively thinking of downsizing at this point, but if we need to… I might look at something at 30 feet, or a little smaller, with a furling main and all of the equipment that makes those long weekends comfortable.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This is where a Stack pack is worth every penny. We struggled with flaking our new heavy stiff mainsail for one season and ordered a Mack Pack. Now when we drop the sail most of it flakes right into the cover. As the sail ages and develops some flaking memory it will get easier.

We also added a Tides Track and an eWincher. Between the 3 additions dealing with the main is very easy.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Both the Hunter 260 and Catalina 250.had mast raise systems that were standard Although I was a dealer now retired sailboat dealer, I was involved in the design of both plus introduced both. Send me a private message through this forum.
Crazy Dave

Sep 29, 2008
hunter 240 Dewey beach, De
I have owned a H240 since 1998. and have sailed on H260 and my best friend had a Catalina 25 bought from Crazy Dave btw. I'll be 77 next month and it is getting tough to raise the mast when I put in. Major concern to me would be your limit of sailing. If is water ballast they are very tender and could limit where you go and when (even with reef, too much wind). Maybe the newer versions of the small Hunters and Catalinas are more stable??? Welcome to the over 70 club.

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
Is the 260 a good downsize move for me? Have owned numerous sailboats over the years and currently enjoy a Catalina 36. Turning 70 this year and moving into the fixed income years, I am contemplating either a Hunter 260 or (dare I say it here) a Catalina 250. I currently day sail 3-4 times a week in Charleston (SC) harbor. We go overnight (usually 3-4 nights) to barrier islands 5-6 times a year. Would plan to keep the boat in water at my marina but haul for maintenance. I have a 2016 Tundra so could get excited to see more of the east coast and south Florida at 70mph. Would love to hear from anyone who has similarly downsized or otherwise has an opinion about moving from a big sailboat to a 260/250. Thanks.

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
I am 82 and still enjoying my Hunter 26. The only thing I have modified for my age is adding a bar under my boom that I can hang onto when going forward.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
This is where a Stack pack is worth every penny. We struggled with flaking our new heavy stiff mainsail for one season and ordered a Mack Pack. Now when we drop the sail most of it flakes right into the cover. As the sail ages and develops some flaking memory it will get easier.

We also added a Tides Track and an eWincher. Between the 3 additions dealing with the main is very easy.
Back in winter of 2022-2023 we took a realistic look at what prevented us from sailing the previous season and what we needed to do if we wanted to continue sailing another 10 years. (I'm 70) A big issue was furling system for the Genoa was older and getting harder to work.
We ended up doing much the same:
New Schaffer Furler
New main sail with full battens
Strong Track
Right angle drill with Winch Bit
Stack Pack - Built my own

Big investment but it will help us to be able to continue handling our boat as we get older. The stack pack is a big part of that.