Could use some help!

Jun 21, 2024
coronado 25 wilson point
Me and the wife just purchased our first sail boat a dream come true! It is a Coronado 25’! The boat is in good shape.could use a good clean from sitting. A fresh paint job! The boat has all the sails. I am unable to get my halyard lines to pull what could be my problem?!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Congratulations! Welcome to the forum and to the world of boat ownership. :beer:

Do you mean that the halyards won’t move at all, even when not secured to a sail? Or are they just difficult to move? The halyards generally go around a sheave at the top of the mast. If that sheave is worn, seized, or broken there could be lots of extra friction, but it should still be possible to move the halyards. If the halyards are run inside the mast it’s also possible they’re routed the wrong way and have fouled on each other or something else in the mast.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is it hard to drop the mast on this boat? It's just me, but I would change out the sheaves, convert or replace the anchor light with LED, and maybe run new wiring. Manufacturers use the cheapest material available. It's what I did to my H30T. (un)stepping my mast is stressful. it reaches 50' from the water. It the sheaves are frozen, your lines are probably old and need replacing too. That's just me talkin'

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Could both halyards be tied together in a knot and hung up on a through bolt or something inside the base of the mast? Pictures might help.

• Wow

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
or if they have come off and wedged next to the sheaves. Lots of options, dropping the mast and spend some time getting familiar with your boat is always beneficial. Look at condition of sheaves, go over all of the shrouds looking for broken strands or rust, check all navigation lights, any deformation to the mast which could weaken it and quality and cleanliness of antenna connection. A 25ft Coronado is likely a nice stout mast section? Even so should be manageable.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
So they will not move at all. From what you guys are saying I’m going to go with it’s the shelves at the top of the mast. @Davidasailor26 & @rgranger so what would be the best way to take care of them?
Let this be a lesson to all you newbies out there planning to buy an old boat that's been sitting around for a while.... Have the seller raise the sails.... first to see their condition and second to see how difficult it is... if they go up, you'll want to be able to get them down also.... sorry... I'll cut the lecture short.. but this kind of post is good for new people to read just because of your problem

My first thought was similar to Apex's comment about the halyard getting jammed, especially if it's wire. But...it could be the sheaves (which are the wheels inside blocks, which is a sailing term for pulley....ha, ha, get used to the terminology madness. That's the first thing I did when I decided to learn to sail... the very first...'cause it can really make questions easier to answer.. and I had many, many, many questions.... still do.btw. Anyway.....

If the SHEAVES are frozen, replace them. You can remove the old ones, take a few measurements and match them up from any online chandlery or rigging supply. The sheaves, okay... you can call them pulley's 'cause you're new, rotate on bearings which need lubrication every year or so. Measurement wise, you'll need the outside diameter, the channel width where the halyard rides, the diameter of the hole through which the pin fits (think axle). These things can get pricey so shop around.................... OR............ you can WD40 the bejesus out of the bearings and try to get it un seized.... be careful with using too heavy of a tool, such as a pipe wrench... it's easy to chip the edge of the sheave. Good luck...

Btw, you should learn whether your mast is designed to be lowered easily for trailor sailing... look at the base where the mast joins the deck... if it looks like the is a hinge type apparatus, then you're in luck. Next.... go online and search for everything you can find about your Coronado 25. They were a pretty popular boat, still a lot of them around and being used regularly.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @tomthrasher to the Sailboat Owners Forums. Congratulations on your new adventures in sailing and boat ownership. @Davidasailor26, @Joe, and the rest of the crew have welcomed you aboard with insights into your challenge. You have a common problem. It is best corrected with the mast on a set of saw horses at your waist level, where you can safely work with two hands on the problem. As suggested, start at the "Mast Head" (top of the mast) and work your way down, resolving any issues that stop the halyards from running freely. If your halyards run through the mast, then something in the mast may be causing the problem. You can usually open the mast on both ends and, with a bright flashlight, look through the mast to discover the issue.

The Coronado 25 is one of Frank Butler's early designs (1966). Frank was the founder of Catalina Yachts. You might say your Coronado is the older sister of all the Catalina sailboats you see on the water (that might get me in hot water, but history can be interesting).
The Coronado 25 came in two versions. One was a keelboat, and the other was a centerboard. Which of the two did you get?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
IMO if the sheaves are frozen you should still be able to move the halyard, it will just be much more difficult than if they turned.
Going aloft on a small boat like that may not be a good idea, so I would suggest you find a boat yard with an ARTICULATING BOOM LIFT to go up and do what you need to do (or have them do it). Alternately, if there is a convenient bulkhead available, you could just rent an ARTICULATING BOOM LIFT and do the work yourself.

Jun 21, 2024
coronado 25 wilson point
Thank all you guys for the help I’m having the boat pulled out in 2 weeks the paint the bottom zinc and take care of everything else will keep you updated thanks again

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I would lubricated and clean the mast track (magic erasers make fast work) and make sure your halyards aren't interfering (crossing over) with one another as you pull the sail up. Does the amount of resistance change as you get the sail higher?

• Helpful

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Pulling the mast on that boat should be easy with a mast crane. It would be a good opportunity to inspect the rigging, tangs, etc. If the halyards are rope/wire it would be a good time to change the sheaves and go with all rope halyard.