Is a whisker pole worth the cost

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I've researched this to death. Looked through many threads here and would like to get a new opinion. I have a 280 with the 110 jib. I've read about being able to run on a broad reach wing on wing with a boom preventer working on the Hunters. I know of the huge advantage of using a pole as I had one on my previous boat with a 150 genoa and could run wing on wing. I know the best solution for the light summer Lake Ontario winds would be an asym but that requires new combing winches and time to install. Would appreciate your opinions from those that run a whisker pole before I pull the trigger on $800.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I personally love whisker poles, looking for one as well, at the moment I used my gaff as a reaching pole.
800$ is a big chunk of change, might look at used
Fred

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
On the Forespar website they recommend the HD 6'-12'. I'm not sure if that is overkill. The HD is more than double the money of the one kloudie 1 listed. Personally I can't see there being that much pressure on the pole with a 110 jib and since as others have mentioned they have used boat hooks, wooden dowels and all manner of homemade devices. I'm leaning towards the lighter duty pole as above since I would mainly use it in lighter winds.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Problem with the boat hook is you have to stand there, not something you would want to do for a long time. Also, not allowed when racing.
At our sailing club I asked in the club news letter if anyone wanted to sell a used whisker pole and had an immediate response, $200 and all the mounting hardware. Best deal ever!
Good luck.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
biggest complaint is that it's hard to store when not in use so I solved that by installing a 6' length of aluminum tubing into the cabin, from the cockpit area, for the pole to slip into when not in use. love it! the short length of bungie with ball normally locks it in place

IMG_0713.JPG