Main Cross Traveler …

Jun 30, 2023
hunter 37 Cherubini 3 mile harbor
Hi.
this is my 1st 37 and still new to the boat.
The block coming down off the boom has broken. Looking to upgrade the system for something more efficient and smooth.
im not sure what the pictured block n pulley are called ? But they need replacing. What would I call this block and recommended replacement?
Aloha

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
https://www.garhauermarine.com/ If you don't find it in this catalogue, try google "mainsheet hardware" or "mainsheet systems" Every online chandler will have pages of sailing hardware to display. These type of blocks are the "fiddle" type where the sheaves (pulley wheels)are mounted edge to edge, vertically..... as opposed to horizontally, where the sheaves line up side to side sharing a single axle. kinda:) Some fiddle blocks, normal ones too, will include a second, non turning metal attachment point; this is called a "becket". Look in the garhaurer catalogue for this to make sense.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'd call Garhaurer Marine and tell them what you're doing, and send them that and maybe a couple other pictures to best communicate what you want. Give them any other info they ask for. They should know what to send you.

Jun 30, 2023
https://www.garhauermarine.com/ If you don't find it in this catalogue, try google "mainsheet hardware" or "mainsheet systems" Every online chandler will have pages of sailing hardware to display. These type of blocks are the "fiddle" type where the sheaves (pulley wheels)are mounted edge to edge, vertically..... as opposed to horizontally, where the sheaves line up side to side sharing a single axle. kinda:) Some fiddle blocks, normal ones too, will include a second, non turning metal attachment point; this is called a "becket". Look in the garhaurer catalogue for this to make sense.
Thanks for the reply. So im brand new to the boat. 3 months.
is there a “better” system or should I ask are the Fiddle Type less efficient then Side by Side blocks ? Cheers

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm not aware of any "efficiency" benefit between the two. The side by side style can be more compact, which is important where the boom is close to the track, such as on a beach cat where high powered mainsheet systems are needed. My Nacra uses a 6 to 1. A fiddle block system would not fit since the boom is less than two feet above the traveler when centered. You simply need to look around at the catalogues and other boats to decide which is best for the boat.... and for you.
Although I don't know for sure, the fiddle system may be less prone to twisting.... just guessing. heh, heh. But whatever you have, in order to keep the tackle system from twisting , which will make things inefficient btw, make sure the connecting shackle is NOT set to "swivel". Most blocks used in mainsheet systems will have that option... it's the pin between the block and shackle that can be set to swivel or not.

Jun 30, 2023
I'm not aware of any "efficiency" benefit between the two. The side by side style can be more compact, which is important where the boom is close to the track, such as on a beach cat where high powered mainsheet systems are needed. My Nacra uses a 6 to 1. A fiddle block system would not fit since the boom is less than two feet above the traveler when centered. You simply need to look around at the catalogues and other boats to decide which is best for the boat.... and for you.
Although I don't know for sure, the fiddle system may be less prone to twisting.... just guessing. heh, heh. But whatever you have, in order to keep the tackle system from twisting , which will make things inefficient btw, make sure the connecting shackle is NOT set to "swivel". Most blocks used in mainsheet systems will have that option... it's the pin between the block and shackle that can be set to swivel or not.
Right on
I sent pictures over to the suggested site waiting for reply. Appreciate the info

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Not sure I'd want anything other than a fiddle block. Side by side would cause the lines entering the blocks or sheaves on the boom to not line up with the pulley. Also, looks like the silver block at the top is not part of the fiddle block assembly and could be reused if you find an appropriate fiddle.

Jun 30, 2023
Not sure I'd want anything other than a fiddle block. Side by side would cause the lines entering the blocks or sheaves on the boom to not line up with the pulley. Also, looks like the silver block at the top is not part of the fiddle block assembly and could be reused if you find an appropriate fiddle.
Yes that makes sense thanks

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There must be a cleaner solution.
I guess part of the reason for the complexity there is to spread the sheet load over a larger area of the boom. Mid boom sheeting puts approximately twice the force on the boom as end of boom sheeting does. So point loading mid boom could be a problem.
On the other hand I've never liked a traveler and sheet on the cabin top. It is not accessible from the helm if the lines become fouled (This favors the fiddle type block). And the traveler is almost useless. And there's the complication of putting a track, which is nearly flat on a rounded cabin top. And also you have to lead the sheet back to the cockpit adding additional blocks which all add friction to the system. Not to mention the amount of sheet line you need.
So there's a lot to not like about your current situation. I'd look at some other boats with cabin top mid boom sheeting and see if you can find a more eloquent solution. After all, the current set up may be the brain child of some past PO who just wanted to use the blocks already at hand.
Start with one of these (You have to size this for the loads on your boat).

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I haven't got a good picture of the stock-from-the-factory H37C mid-boom mainsheet arrangement, but maybe I can talk you through the picture I do have...
There was never any blocks with a becket in the original system. All the blocks on the boom swivel. The bitter end of the mainsheet is tied off to a pad eye on the starboard side, just aft of the outboard end of the traveller. From there, the mainsheet goes up to a single block on the aft-most of the three boom bails. Then it goes down to the lower sheaves (two 'in a row') of a Schaefer 704-45 fiddle block. Exiting the forward end of the fiddle block, the mainsheet goes up to a single block on the forward boom bail. Then it goes down to the top sheave on the fiddle block and back up to single block on the middle bail. From the middle boom block, the mainsheet goes down to a single block attached to the pad eye on the port side, just aft of the end of the traveller and from there to the mainsheet winch on the cabin top. Though this sounds complex in my description, it is a very clean run for the mainsheet. Many H37C owner have expressed a preference for mid-boom sheeting over the earlier traveller location at the aft end of the bridgedeck; I certainly liked it on the cabin top. The H37C boom is too short for end boom sheeting to a traveller at the aft end of the cockpit and the bridgedeck location is awkward.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022
Hunter Cutter 37 Philadelphia
I don't get to this forum enough. This is my first year with a traveler from Garhauer. They could not have been easier to work with insisting that you send them the old traveler. The new traveler has ball bearings and more mechanical advantage allowing adjustment of the traveler in high winds without easing the main.

The original traveler required easing the main to adjust. Great performance in a recent PHRF race off Annapolis against much lighter boats attests to the value of a good traveler. The new mainsail from FarEastSails really helped to as we saw 6 knots under sail in 9 knots of wind pointing 45 degrees off the wind.

Removal of the old traveler and installation of the new traveler was done in minutes.