Oday 192 outboard bracket

Apr 26, 2024
Oday 192 Lake Huron
Greetings,
I just joined this group. Last fall I purchased a 1984 Oday 192, nice clean boat. It came with a 25" shaft Mariner 4hp two stroke that needs replacing. I have been looking at the Tohatsu 6hp four stroke outboards with a 25 inch shaft. I need to replace the cheap outboard bracket that has a 10 inch lift which came with the boat (this was replaced by the previous owner). I have read mixed articles on having a 10 inch lift versus a higher lift. i will have to replace the wedge which mounts between the outboard bracket and the transom as the newer brackets are wider. My sailing is on Lake Huron where squalls do come out of nowhere. Any thoughts on a four stroke bracket and length of lift. If someone who has already made this conversion would be willing to share photos of their finished project it would be helpful. Thank you.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
I have a Mariner 19 (the original ODay 19). I have the stock outboard bracket (rated for 2 cycle outboards only according to the stickers). I first mounted a 19" long shaft Honda 5hp. This worked fine without going to the lowest bracket notch - generally went to the 2nd lowest. At the highest notch, it was quite comfortable to tilt the motor head across the transom. In the highest position, the skeg would still drag in the water.

I have since replaced the Honda with a long shaft Epropulsion Spirit. I seldom have to lower beyond the 3rd notch to get the prop deep enough. Having it up higher makes the tiller fit comfortably across the transom. Likewise, the motor does not clear the water in the highest position. I have to raise the motor all the way up and tilt it to keep it clear of the water. A fellow Mariner owner got the short shaft Spirit. He has to lower the motor bracket all the way to get the prop deep enough. But his motor does clear the water at the highest position without tilting.

Data points for your use. Good luck with your project. The original boat has a hollow between the transom and the rear of the cockpit. Most Mariner owners have filled the gap with plywood and/or G10 to strengthen the motor mount when using the heavier motors.

Fred W

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I would not worry about the tip of the outboard dragging while sailing, it is not slowing you down and no damage is likely. It is nice to have the tip of the outboard clear the water at rest, but, if you have a lifting bracket it should be easy to clear the water with motor tilted. The outboard on my DS II is clamped to a board that I bolted to the transom which elevates the motor about 1.5" above transom top, long-shaft (20") Johnson 4hp 2-stroke clears the water when tilted at rest, and occasionally drags the skeg in the water on a starboard tack (motor mounted offset to port side of rudder).

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Steer with the tiller it is considerably easier than reaching across the transom to the motor's tiller. Set the motor so it doesn't turn. At least on gas outboards there is usually a thumb screw or similar device to prevent the motor from turning, I assume the same can be done on the electric motor.

Apr 26, 2024
Oday 192 Lake Huron
Greetings,
I just joined this group. Last fall I purchased a 1984 Oday 192, nice clean boat. It came with a 25" shaft Mariner 4hp two stroke that needs replacing. I have been looking at the Tohatsu 6hp four stroke outboards with a 25 inch shaft. I need to replace the cheap outboard bracket that has a 10 inch lift which came with the boat (this was replaced by the previous owner). I have read mixed articles on having a 10 inch lift versus a higher lift. i will have to replace the wedge which mounts between the outboard bracket and the transom as the newer brackets are wider. My sailing is on Lake Huron where squalls do come out of nowhere. Any thoughts on a four stroke bracket and length of lift. If someone who has already made this conversion would be willing to share photos of their finished project it would be helpful. Thank you.

I was able to make extensions for the transom wedge and attach a Panther outboard bracket (for 4 stroke motors). 1/4" construction grade aluminum plate was added between the bracket and the transom wedge. Additionally the interior of the transom was reinforced with the aluminum plate. The bracket is rock solid, the motor easily lift and tilts out of the water while underway.

Attachments

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hi @Tawas Bay Sailor,

I didn’t have the issue that you do, I have a plumb transom. But I’m a little freaked out about the instructions on the panther bracket. I’m tempted to silicone the heck out of that thing, and or 3M 5200 or something. The instructions are to not over-tighten the bolts… my instinct is to tighten away.

I don’t want it rattling around back there!

How is yours holding up?

By the way, we just joined the Tawas Bay Yacht Club, so we will be neighbors next year.

Jun 2, 2004
I have a Mariner 19 (the original ODay 19). I have the stock outboard bracket (rated for 2 cycle outboards only according to the stickers). I first mounted a 19" long shaft Honda 5hp. This worked fine without going to the lowest bracket notch - generally went to the 2nd lowest. At the highest notch, it was quite comfortable to tilt the motor head across the transom. In the highest position, the skeg would still drag in the water..

Data points for your use. Good luck with your project. The original boat has a hollow between the transom and the rear of the cockpit. Most Mariner owners have filled the gap with plywood and/or G10 to strengthen the motor mount when using the heavier motors.

Fred W
There was no "stock outboard bracket" on the Mariner, the Mariner was built to have the outboard clamped right to the transom, no bracket was offered or needed. Transom has a full-width plywood reinforcement to allow for this. (On the early, 1962-68 version the plywood might have only been on the Port side under the kicker-pit).

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
There was no "stock outboard bracket" on the Mariner, the Mariner was built to have the outboard clamped right to the transom, no bracket was offered or needed. Transom has a full-width plywood reinforcement to allow for this. (On the early, 1962-68 version the plywood might have only been on the Port side under the kicker-pit).
You might be thinking of a rather unique Mariner, because that's not true of the 24+ Mariners I have looked at.

The early Mariners (1963-1968) had an aft deck which would have prevented clamping an outboard to the transom.
From 1968 on (still in production by Stuart), the transom is about 2" wide to the cockpit liner, so direct mounting an outboard is possible. However, there is an inch of open space between the cockpit liner and transom, and no real reinforcement for the transom from the factory. Mariners with an outboard bracket from the dealer or factory had a piece of plywood or similar to back up the bracket mounting. A heavier bracket and backup is spec'd for Mariners using 4 stroke outboards - even on today's production from Stuart.

Some have attempted to direct mount outboards on post-'68 boats, but end up having to mostly fill the gap with some kind of strengthening material. Otherwise, cracking occurs.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133 Sweet P

Jun 2, 2004
The 1962-68 Mariners with the afterdeck had a "kicker-Pit" (O'Day called it an outboard well" some years) which is a basically a "box" molded into the deck up against the transom, allowing the outboard to be clamped to the transom, no bracket needed. The DS I and R19 also had this feature.
The 1969-79 O'DAY Mariners WERE built to allow mounting the outboard by clamping right onto the transom, the plywood backing iside the transom may have rotted out on some of the boats, based on my 1979 DS II that appears possible, but I never had any problem clamping the outboard direct to the transom. I have attached a series of pictures from various O'DAY Brochures, showing outboards mounted directly to the transom, the picture of a DS I shows the Kicker-Pit" with the varnished wood cover in place instead of an outboard, Mariner from 1968 shows motor mounted that way as does the Rhodes 19 (although, I would not want a 9.5 on that boat), AND that O'DAY mentions that THEY BUILT THE BOATS TO ALLOW THIS! I'll add a few more pics of Mariners.

Attachments

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Whether or not an outboard is directly mounted on the transom does not change the fact that on the '69+ Mariner, the space between the cockpit liner and the transom is not filled. On my Mariner, I actually have an access port in the cockpit liner to access the bolts/nut of the motor mount. There is a plywood backing plate, but there are no bolts from any transom mounted hardware to penetrate the cockpit liner. This includes the backstay mount, motor mount, rudder gudgeons, and swim ladder. Or if the backstay mount is attached to the cockpit liner (some Mariners), the bolts do not reach the transom.

So when a motor is clamped to the transom, the clamps push against the cockpit liner which is only held away from the transom by fiberglass at the transom top, and fiberglass tabs to the bottom of the hull. Without modification and filling the gap, any more powerful and heavier direct clamped motors are going to cause the cockpit liner and/or the transom to crack from being over-stressed and being pushed towards each other.

I do not know of any post '68 Mariner who directs clamps their outboard, except for some trolling motors.

See Mariner Class Association threads on this. I do not pretend to know the ins and outs of Day Sailor construction.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133 Sweet Pea