Why NOT Take a Hunter Sailboat on an Ocean Crossing

Feb 3, 2021
West Wight Potter 19 Lloydminster
I am very new to sailing and am very seriously considering buying a Hunter sailboat. For my MOST LIKELY foreseeable future needs, Hunter seems to be my best fit. However, should I decide to venture down the west coast of the USA and ... who knows ... maybe I would eventually attempt a sail to Hawaii, why would Hunter not be a good boat to do this? I always here/read where Hunters are terrible boats but I personally love what I know about them and I very seldom talk to a Hunter owner that hates their boat. What am I missing?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
In a ‘former life’, I sailed across the Pacific to NZ stopping at numerous places where we saw every imaginable type/brand/size/condition of boat. Places many of those trying to sound authoritative about boats never heard of.
The cliché is valid - to paraphrase, ‘it’s the crew, not the brand name which determines the outcome.’

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Boats are designed for specific purposes, essentially they are tools for us to use for enjoyment and recreation, or a place to live, or a vehicle to travel on. They are also designed and built for specific sailing conditions. European built boats are built to specific classifications based on the conditions they are expected to encounter in normal use. While this article is geared to motorboats, you will get an idea about the classifications.

More important than the rating or the manufacturer is the condition of the boat and the sailor's skill. A poorly maintained high quality boat is less safe than a well maintained average boat. Another major criteria is the equipment, is the boat's gear up to the task of extended ocean sailing? And, where offshore will the boat be sailed, a high latitude boat is built differently from an average production sailboat.

Off shore sailing presents different challenges than inshore sailing. High on the list, but often overlooked is safety and convenience in the cabin. Are there enough handholds? Can the crew reach them? What's the galley like, can the cook work safely in a rocking and rolling boat? Is the head small enough that an occupant won't be bounced around risking injury? Is there adequate and accessible storage for supplies? Is there adequate tankage for water and fuel? Are there safe and comfortable sea berths?

People have sailed across oceans in all kinds of boats, including Hunters. Warren Luhrs one of Hunter's founders was an off-shore racing sailor. He was known for pushing the design limits of fast offshore boats.

The short answer to your question, can I sail a Hunter to Hawai'i? The answer is yeah, I'm sure it has been done. I'm just not sure you're asking the right questions. After researching ocean passage making, the questions should be along the lines of does this boat have what it takes to be a safe and comfortable passage maker?

For anyone considering ocean passage making, Attainable Adventure Cruising is the site to join. On this site you will find more unvarnished advice from experienced ocean and high latitude sailors. It is a pay site, however the fee is quite modest. There is a section of site on a boat designed for safe affordable passage making, that section is a good primer on what to look for in an ocean sailing boat.

Feb 3, 2021
West Wight Potter 19 Lloydminster
Boats are designed for specific purposes, essentially they are tools for us to use for enjoyment and recreation, or a place to live, or a vehicle to travel on. They are also designed and built for specific sailing conditions. European built boats are built to specific classifications based on the conditions they are expected to encounter in normal use. While this article is geared to motorboats, you will get an idea about the classifications.

More important than the rating or the manufacturer is the condition of the boat and the sailor's skill. A poorly maintained high quality boat is less safe than a well maintained average boat. Another major criteria is the equipment, is the boat's gear up to the task of extended ocean sailing? And, where offshore will the boat be sailed, a high latitude boat is built differently from an average production sailboat.

Off shore sailing presents different challenges than inshore sailing. High on the list, but often overlooked is safety and convenience in the cabin. Are there enough handholds? Can the crew reach them? What's the galley like, can the cook work safely in a rocking and rolling boat? Is the head small enough that an occupant won't be bounced around risking injury? Is there adequate and accessible storage for supplies? Is there adequate tankage for water and fuel? Are there safe and comfortable sea berths?

People have sailed across oceans in all kinds of boats, including Hunters. Warren Luhrs one of Hunter's founders was an off-shore racing sailor. He was known for pushing the design limits of fast offshore boats.

The short answer to your question, can I sail a Hunter to Hawai'i? The answer is yeah, I'm sure it has been done. I'm just not sure you're asking the right questions. After researching ocean passage making, the questions should be along the lines of does this boat have what it takes to be a safe and comfortable passage maker?

For anyone considering ocean passage making, Attainable Adventure Cruising is the site to join. On this site you will find more unvarnished advice from experienced ocean and high latitude sailors. It is a pay site, however the fee is quite modest. There is a section of site on a boat designed for safe affordable passage making, that section is a good primer on what to look for in an ocean sailing boat.

Great feed back. Thank you so much :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have sailed on a couple Hunter boats from 25 to the 40ft in size and enjoyed the experience.

It is not the name of the boat builder that should be your criteria, but the specific boat design.

One metric that might be helpful in your search would be the Capsize Screening Formula (CSF). You can find it calculated for you on SailboatData.com .
The CSF compares beam with displacement since excess beam contributes to capsize and heavy displacement reduces capsize vulnerability. The boat is better suited for ocean passages (vs coastal cruising) if the result of the calculation is 2.0 or less. The lower the better.

Hunter designed similar sized boats can have different vulnerabilities.
Capsize Screening Formula:
  • HUNTER 32 (JONES) 2.46
  • HUNTER 32 VISION 2.02
  • HUNTER 320 2.12
Your cruise down the West Coast of the US could be accomplished in any one of these boats if you were "weather observant" and took your time. Seeking safe harbor as the weather turned stormy or not leaving harbor on the bad weather days.

Once you decide to turn away from the coast you are now relying on your own sailing skills and the boats natural capabilities to get you and the crew safely to your desired destination. This is where you may have to compromise your comfort feature choices for a boat with more ocean going capabilities.

Choose wisely.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There has been a long on-going anti-Hunter bull crap that is just not based in reality. I've never figured out why it started.

There are excellent Hunter sailboats you can comfortably cruise oceans with.

As others have said, look at the boat - not the name.

dj

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The owners of Hunters generally, but not always, know why they deliberately bought that brand. More interior for the $$. That's a huge deal for many folks. They are fully entitled to their beliefs.
And, be cautious about any make and model where the owner swears his boat will cross any sea and has no compromises. ALL boats have their own "performance envelopes " , just like airplanes.

Rather than list brands and models in a descending or ascending order, it would be far better to build a "decision tree" of features and a check list.
With no reference to brand, start with the basic scantlings/engineering, then design, then look at the hull-to-deck joint, then the hull-to-keel joint.
To poorly paraphrase a famous designer, from an article several years ago, look for a boat where the hull was designed before the interior. i.e. look for long water line and efficient sailing shape. Then look for a clever designer who put the maximum livability inside that desirable shape. And then look for a design that lives well when under way in a rolling sea with the occasional cross sea.

Avoid the boats where the interior was designed out like a small condo, and then the hull was forced to wrap around it somehow. Those boat are nice for dockside living and local sailing on nice days, but poorer out in the ocean or any large body of open water.
While all boat designs are inevitably compromises, try to understand how such compromises will affect your use of the boat.
Also, the stronger the initial design and build, the easier that hull will be to maintain, 20, 30, or 50 years later.

And no... my choice of boat is neither 'perfect' nor perfect for you. That said, it sails easily and the interior lives efficiently at sea. Sister ships routinely cross oceans. I sail only coastal, but that basic strength provided a foundation for a recent complete re-fit and LPU paint update.

Whatever you buy, think in terms of the continual updates and upgrades you will be doing for the next two decades. Some boats are far easier to work on than others, and until you spend time crawling into tight spaces to work on utilities you will not appreciate the extra care the builders took in design and construction.
Best of luck in your search. We spent a full year looking for the boat we still have, 30 years later. (Switching boats often costs a lot of time and money, both of which get more scarce as the years go by...)

Happy Hunting!
:)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As pointed out, Warren Luhrs, who owned Hunter was a global solo racer who enjoyed it on boats that were designed by his staff and him as well. He once told me that he took the knowledge and experience from those trips and applied it to Hunter sailboat designs which most manufacturers did not do. In fact each model was tested in all conditions and even ran them aground hard making improvements before manufacturing.

Every trip, I used to supply him with my favorite peach brandy liquor made in the mountains of Virginia called moonshine. I figured if he took those trips, there would be times he needed some grog. I of course always drank it first to insure it didn’t blind or kill me.
Crazy Dave Condon

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I occasionally see someone (like you) who says that the heard Hunters are bad boats…but I’ve never read or heard an owner of one say that:)

as stated above… I’m not sure how that got started…

if you like it… buy it…sail it… learn … and when you are ready to cross an ocean you will have the personal experience to evaluate what YOU need.:beer:

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
My best source on this issue is, “The Complete Guide to Choosing a Cruising Sailboat” by Roger Marshall.

He is not wedded to any manufacturer, but he does provide good, comparable data on many models. He does an excellent job of explaining what each ratio or feature gives you, depending on your planned use.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
I crossed the Atlantic three times in a C&C Landfall 38.
It wasn’t a true blue-water boat… Small things can be worse than the manufacturer. The vents for my three water tanks were just below the hull-deck joint; after some rough sailing sea-water found it’s way into all three tanks! (should be vented inside the boat)The companionway was of normal height but a following wave broke and doused my berth.(washboards should have been set and bolted)
All in all most difficulties and breakdowns were due to insufficient preparation and not boat desing or build.
A well prepared boat and crew of any make will be able to cross an ocean between 45ºN and 45ºS.
Have a good crossing!

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
There's "Old Hunter", Warren Luhrs company and "New Hunter", (Marlow-Hunter).
Several well known designers worked for Warren's company and designed
some terrific boats over the years. I have owned one of them, a 1979 H30C (Hunter Marine — Builder — Sailboat Guide), for 43 years. It is a great boat, and I would
stack mine up against any 29-31 ft. production sail boat in the world.

Would I sail her to Europe? No, I'm 77 years old. At my age, I wouldn't sail the
Queen Elizabeth II either. A younger crew could, with the proper preparation and refit.
But I did sail her around the Caribbean, Bahamas and the East coast of the US.
If I can find a younger crew, I might do that again.

Sadly, 'Old Hunter' is long gone. Marlow is too, I believe.
So, what's in a name? Depends on who's doing the talking!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had a H356. In my opinion the volume of the aft makes it difficult to sail downwind in waves. The tend to throw the rear of the boat around making steering arduous. I think you would need a powerful below deck AP to steer and the power to run it. I've been able to compare it with a Sparkman & Stevens Tartan 37 which has less volume in the aft sections. The latter has a much more gentle presentation to waves. I would much prefer it to my H356 for an ocean voyage.
I don't think Hunter ever intended the 356 to be a voyaging sailboat. It is a great coastal cruiser and I think that's what it was meant to do.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Henk Meuzelaar sailed his Hunter 43 around the South Pacific for years, delivering medical supplies to remote islands. Search for him in the forums, and you will find a number of informative posts on the subject.

If you have a boat with a good blue water design, there are still a lot of modifications to add to make the boat work well. The best source on this preparation is the Pacific Cup Handbook by Jim and Sue Corenman. I‘m not sure if it is still available. I enjoy reading about boat design and preparation, even though I have no plans for a blue water cruise across an ocean.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
All boats are classified for various uses to include off shore passage making able to withstand specific wind and seas, and also coastal cruising, inland sailing on protected waters, etc. Class A boats are those vessels that have the build quality for offshore ocean sailing. There may be some Hunter sailboats that fit that classification and some others that don't, just like any brand.

Hunter has gone through many generations of designs since it's inception. The first boat that I recall is a Hunter 23 designed by Bob Seidelmann - a trailerable boat. Then Hunter used Cherubini as a designer and then through the years many more were engaged to design their line, including some from France and also Farr designs.

Some early Hunters did have problems and were considered not the best boats built in the world, but then, if you are sailing on inland waters, you don't need something built to withstand the North Sea. Long ago, I worked for a couple Hunter dealers and without going into specifics, some of the designs were problematic and warranty issues were many. I think Hunter improved through the years up until their demise, which probably was because of the economy rather than boat issues.
Getting back to boat quality, there are a number of things to consider for a boat to go offshore. Besides built quality (hull to deck joints, rig stability, good bones, etc.) one needs to consider horse power for the inboard, fuel capacity, water capacity, cockpits designed for offshore sailing and not just cocktailing, with proper scuppers, bridge deck, companionway boards, adequate railings, lifelines, stanchions, window treatment that can take the brunt of heavy seas, sail handling gear that is adequate and not too little, proper bilge pumps, safety gear, the list goes on and on. And then the cabin has to accommodate the crew comfortably, with proper places to stow gear so it is not occupying the living area of the boat and finally electronics to suit your safety and navigation needs.

Some Hunter designs were for easy, short handed sailing with a basic sail plan. Usually they were provided with a 135% roller furling genoa and the deck design would not accommodate larger headsails simply because there was no place to install longer genoa tracks for best sail trim. Often engine horsepower was merely adequate and if you needed an engine for more aggressive use, there was an upcharge. Winches were at a minimum rather than more winches for various uses, etc. These boats were fine for most consumer uses, but not offshore work. They were affordable and comfortable.

That's the boat. The people on board are another thing. The boat might make it, but the sailors might not be able to deal with extreme conditions when offshore. That takes experience and know how. It's a long way from CA to HI.