GOB Gone?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I received the latest issue of GOB via an e publishing format - I am a paper format subscriber. In the email it was announced that it would be the last issue. I hope I understood that correctly and not posting incorrect information. I hope I wasn't scammed. Sad!

It is with heavy hearts that we announce this March/April 2024 issue will be our last, and will only be released in a digital format. As a subscriber, though, you will now have access to all 155 back issues of Good Old Boat as downloads. You'll receive an email next month with the digital download.

Over the years, the publishers, editors, and contributors at Good Old Boat have immensely enjoyed bringing you content to help make your boat better and your sailing dreams a reality. Unfortunately, for us, skyrocketing operating costs — paper, printing, and shipping — have become too much and there is no viable path forward. After trying to come up with a more tenable business plan and analyzing alternative publishing options from every angle, including deeply cutting costs and even pivoting to a digital only publication, the result is the same. A pathway forward would only be a temporary fix and the magazine’s quality would suffer. Read more details about this on page three of the magazine.

Thank you so much for reading and being part of the Good Old Boat community of sailors.

Best regards,

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I got that email today, too.
A huge loss.
:frown:
My last two "real" sailing and DIY boating magazine subscriptions are now Practical Boat Owner and Yachting Monthly, both from the UK. Neither one is cheap, but nothing any good ever is......

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
That is a huge bummer. I've discontinued other magazines over the past few years but I always looked forward to Good Old Boat. I had a feeling, after they changed leadership a few years ago the print got smaller. loved the spotlight on different Good Old Boats, and practical solutions many things over the years. I will miss them.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
This is horrible news. I subscribe to Practical Sailor for product and technique selection and GOB for pure enjoyment. I will sorely miss my Saturday/Sunday coffee and GOB. It'd be nice if we could order printed copies. Half of mine were destroyed in a flood last year. I wonder if I'll get a pro-rated refund since I just renewed

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Bummer, one of my favorite mags, especially during the long, cold, dark winter layup!

it sounds like the currently shipping volume will be the last. I got my digital copy this week, but the paper copy hasn’t landed in my mailbox yet.

Glad I ordered my GOB hat for Christmas.

It sounds like no refunds, but they will make 155 past magazines available for download for subscribers.

Greg

• Helpful
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Bummer, one of my favorite mags, especially during the long, cold, dark winter layup!

it sounds like the currently shipping volume will be the last. I got my digital copy this week, but the paper copy hasn’t landed in my mailbox yet.

Glad I ordered my GOB hat for Christmas.

It sounds like no refunds, but they will make 155 past magazines available for download for subscribers.

Greg
The email told you that this final issue is digital-only. No paper copy is coming.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg, I found this in the digital version of the magazine. The editor announced the closing of the magazine. Then there is this information regarding the digital issues.

1709095442054.png

Mar 26, 2011
Ideally, the content could migrate to another mag or a new mag. I can't see anyone starting a new mag in this climate.

I'm really looking forward to 155 issues. I've read some but not nearly all. They sent me copies of those I had articles in, so maybe about 40.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Is Good Old Boat shutting down completely? Or are they just dropping the printed copy?

dj

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Is Good Old Boat shutting down completely? Or are they just dropping the printed copy?
Shutting down completely: It is with heavy hearts that we announce this March/April 2024 issue will be our last, and will only be released in a digital format. As a subscriber, though, you will now have access to all 155 back issues of Good Old Boat as downloads. You'll receive an email next month with the digital download.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Damn, the end of an era... That really sucks!

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My perception is that the founders of the magazine sold it about 2 years ago to the current owners. What happened in those two years that changed it from a promising endeavor to failing?
In another vain since I know nothing about the magazine business, what is the current climate that is making the business climate so adverse?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
My perception is that the founders of the magazine sold it about 2 years ago to the current owners. What happened in those two years that changed it from a promising endeavor to failing?
In another vain since I know nothing about the magazine business, what is the current climate that is making the business climate so adverse?
The entire publishing world, magazines, newspapers etc. Is going through a huge crisis. No one - or not enough people - want things in print. Printing costs have gone way up, cost to mail has gone way up, so the costs to produce print has skyrocketed and the user base has all but disappeared.

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So can't they go digital?
It's not the same reading my laptop on the can but I could get used to it.

Mar 26, 2011
The entire publishing world, magazines, newspapers etc. Is going through a huge crisis. No one - or not enough people - want things in print. Printing costs have gone way up, cost to mail has gone way up, so the costs to produce print has skyrocketed and the user base has all but disappeared.

dj
And we all expect accurate content for free on the net! Like fast, better, cheaper, you can only have 2 out of 3:
  • Free
  • Accurate
  • Not infomercials based on advertisers
It will either cost, be non-vetted, or little more than a sales pitch. Good publishers vet the information. Some of the more independent ones, including GOB, resist advertising pressure. Free ... like this forum, you need filters. Also, you are not going to see one-to-one product testing or long answers for free; they take time, money, and effort.