hunter Tank monitor

Jan 31, 2024
Hunter hunter 33 ThunderbirdMarina
hello Sailors, for some reason my monitor is showing false readings in the past, sometimes 1 bar sometimes 3 sometimes full,
082b4d18-719d-43b6-bf7f-e5aeaa0f99f0.jpg
and now shows empty, i notice that the sender have some LED's and they are off, how can i test the monitor or display and the sender???? thanks.
51328c5e-c7e5-48aa-ad42-c27d0d63dec8.jpg

IMG_8093.jpeg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Enrique.
Here is a thread from 2002 regarding the Snake River sender and Hunter display. Can not tell which system you own. You may need to look behind the panel to ID the actual system you have. As Ralph shared, Hunter bought the parts from a vendor and installed them. They over the years may have used several different vendors. If you are not the original owner of the boat, a previous owner could have installed anything.

Here is the link mentioned.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The name Snake River still exists, but any company using that name today has nothing in common with the original Snake River who supplied the tank monitors to Hunter...it went out of business more than 20 years ago and I haven't seen anything from any of companies who've adopted the name worth buying.

So don't even think of trying to repair it...replace it. SCAD Scad Tank Monitors is the top rated tank monitor today...uses senders that go on the outside of the tank (any material but metal), easy to install and reasonably priced. They even have 2- tank systems that can be used on two holding tanks or one holding and one water or gray water. I don't think they have fuel tank monitors.

--Peggie

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
Just curious if anyone has successfully installed these SCAD monitors?

Installing the foil on the outside of the tank would be tough on all of my tanks since access isn't available to anything but the top pickup of the tanks. I'm thinking that a significant amount of boat surgery would be needed (take the furniture apart in order to take the subfloor apart) to gain access to the side of the tanks to place the foil.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It would be a good idea to create the access to the tank(s) now...'cuz sooner or later you'll have to replace the hoses, which will also require access to the tank to do it. That'll be a much easier job if you don't have to start by doing the work necessary to create the access.

--Peggie

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Just curious if anyone has successfully installed these SCAD monitors?

Installing the foil on the outside of the tank would be tough on all of my tanks since access isn't available to anything but the top pickup of the tanks. I'm thinking that a significant amount of boat surgery would be needed (take the furniture apart in order to take the subfloor apart) to gain access to the side of the tanks to place the foil.

FYI, Hunter Tank Monitors

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
It would be a good idea to create the access to the tank(s) now...'cuz sooner or later you'll have to replace the hoses, which will also require access to the tank to do it. That'll be a much easier job if you don't have to start by doing the work necessary to create the access.

--Peggie
Hi Peggie,

Thanks for your reply. Your point is well taken.

Hunter did a great job on my boat (44AC) providing access to the water pickup, fill hose, and vent. They didn't do a great job providing access to the foil/sensor area on the side of the tank. I think I might be able to fenagle something when the time comes, without taking the boat apart, but it will take some doing.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
Thanks for sending this link, Scott. I guess this begs the question, are these the original (not well regarded) tank monitors?

The picture in the link doesn't really do justice to the issue at hand. The sender featured looks like an internal tank monitor. The monitors that Hunter installed in (what sounds like) most of our boats, for at least the water and waste tanks, were externally mounted and work on the same principal as the SCAD monitors with external foil strips that are able to detect the level of the fluid in the tank from the outside.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Or maybe time for a new (Mature technology) system. Like the Tank Tender.
Link: Home -
I have several friends with these and they report that it is totally reliable.