Contact

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I no longer accept personal emails due to security except for those who I know. I received an email which I suspected to be malicious.

Therefore; I will only accept private messages thru this forum site which will require you to be registered on this site.

Dave

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I no longer accept personal emails due to security except for those who I know. I received an email which I suspected to be malicious.

Therefore; I will only accept private messages thru this forum site which will require you to be registered on this site.

Dave
Dave, anyone who wants your contact info would have to be a registered member, if I understand correctly, so I suggest your warning to the suspected malicious maker may go unnoticed...... but..... no harm in trying to avoid repetition of the incident. Good luck.

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
Dave, anyone who wants your contact info would have to be a registered member, if I understand correctly, so I suggest your warning to the suspected malicious maker may go unnoticed...... but..... no harm in trying to avoid repetition of the incident. Good luck.
Personal email addresses are maintained in the member data base, however they are not public. Even Moderators do not have access to them.

All registrations are screened to reduce the chance of nefarious and malign memberships. No, I won't disclose how we screen potential members.

SBO takes privacy seriously and does its best to keep spammers and hackers off of the system.

We should all be mindful of the multitude of spam and scamming emails, especially phishing emails which ask for personal information. And those emails from your best friend in some foreign country who was robbed and needs money to get home.

• Helpful
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Joe

Prior to owning a sailboat dealership, I was a respected insurance investigator and also handled litigation on the east coast.

The Moderator has well discussed their position on this matter. I have been around many great people too who taught me well.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
And those emails from your best friend in some foreign country who was robbed and needs money to get home.
I only help them if they’re promising to bring my unexpected inheritance from a distant relative. ;)

I’ll take this opportunity to give some other email safety reminders:

- Don’t open links or especially attachments in emails unless you’re really sure who they’re from and that they’re expected. Putting malware in an email body is (relatively) difficult; putting it in another linked page or an attachment is relatively trivial.
- Pay attention to the actual sender address. Lots of email clients hide the sender address now for simplicity, only showing the sender’s display name which is relatively easily spoofed. Different clients have ways of expanding the full address. Spam can say it’s from, for example, Apple Support, but when you expand the address it’s something like support@randomnonapplesite.com.
- Not all phishing is Nigerian prince type stuff. The better stuff can be targeted and often takes advantage of what the spammer knows about you. A few months ago Navico / C-Map was hacked and contact information for customers was lost. If that was done by a phishing organization those customers should be on the lookout for “warning, your C-Map subscription is expiring, click here to renew” type emails. These targeted messages are more plausible than general spam and more likely to get clicks. Again, pay attention to the actual sender addresses and any link addresses.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
customers should be on the lookout for “warning, your C-Map subscription is expiring, click here to renew” type emails. These targeted messages are more plausible than general spam and more likely to get clicks. Again, pay attention to the actual sender addresses and any link addresses.
Even seeing the actual address can be problematic. There are some legitimate businesses that have those kinds of emails sent by a service that may not use the company address. This just muddies the waters. I make it a policy to never pay anyone who contacts me. I'll call you to make my payment.

-Will