Jib furler basics and maint

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
Hunter 31, 1983 Panama City
I have a Pacnor Merriman Ti150 roller curler with problems. I’m gonna say a disassembly and greasing is in order… and probably a bearing replacement. I could probably figure it out pretty easy, but I am having trouble finding out how to do it on the boat. I’m not sure how the forestry plays into the system… I don’t really want to poke around up there and have the mast fall. Any idea where to find documentation for this furler?

here’s the problem: recently it’s felt like a spring is hung up inside. I don’t think there are any but that’s what it feels like. When furling or unfurling, tension increases until it stops spinning. I have to spin it the other way a few times and I can get it in or out. It does this with zero wind at dock too. Any help is appreciated.
IMG_0892.jpeg

IMG_0896.jpeg

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
Does this happen when the sail is attached?

What is the wire attached to the top of the drum?

The kind of binding you describe might be caused by halyard wrap, the halyard or another halyard is getting caught in the furling gear at the top of the mast.

Another possibility is the headstay is twisted or otherwise binding inside the foil. When was the last time anyone looked at the forestay?

If it is necessary to detach the forestay, rig a temporary forestay with the jib halyard. Attach the halyard to a solid deck fitting, maybe a stanchion base or a bow cleat and tension it. It is then safe to remove the forestay for service or inspection.

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
It happens during regular sailing operations and also in port with no wind. I bent the furler line keepers out cause that seemed to be the problem when I first investigated... I thought they were binding on the top disc.

That cable hooks to the tack. I’ve not noticed that being an issue.

I’ll have to look up there to see what the jib halyard looks like. I have no idea about anything related to the jib halyard. I guess my thinking was that it’s a furling job so there’s no jib halyard. I thought I’ve identified every line on the boat (looks fully rigged for a spinnaker), but I may have missed the jib halyard somewhere.

That cable hooks to the tack. I’ve not noticed that being an issue.

The headstay has never been inspected to my knowledge. This was a foreclosure purchase so I’d assume it hasn’t had the greatest care at least in its recent history. This will probably be on the short list for the boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The tack of the sail is the bottom corner of the sail. The cable, which I assume to be the halyard, attaches to the head, the tack is attached to the furling drum, and the clew attaches to the jib sheets.

I can't tell from the photo, however there should be one or two grooves into which the headsail luff is fed into.

If you have a spinnaker halyard, it is a likely culprit to your problem. The spin halyard can get wrapped around and into the sail. The halyard needs to be completely on one side of the forestay or it needs to be over the top and clear of the upper swivel.

• Helpful

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
My spinnaker halyard and jib halyard are the same color. I thought the jib halyard was just the wound up excess of the spinnaker halyard.

I think the jib halyard is supposed to run thru a cabin top brake, but mine is just cleated to the mast. The bearing unit where the halyard connects to the furler/sail is the culprit here. Thanks for the help!
IMG_0898.jpeg
IMG_0899.jpeg
IMG_0900.jpeg

Last edited:

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
Any idea what will happen if I remove this retaining rig? Will the bearing balls fall out everywhere? I gave it a good soak with sailkote, but I imagine it could use a good cleaning inside.
IMG_0902.jpeg

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I had my Spinnaker Halyard loop over the Jib Halyard and foul it.

This picture may help clarify.

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 11.35.15 AM.png

Jim...

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Will the bearing balls fall out everywhere?
No.
All of the swivel bearings are sealed.

Normally, each season, when the Jib was down, water washing them works.

Jim...

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Don't have a jib furler myself but based on the image posted by James it looks to me like the swivel bearing is installed upside down. The angle of the line going to the head of the jib doesn't look right either but I get confused when I see an elephant up too close anyway.

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
Don't have a jib furler myself but based on the image posted by James it looks to me like the swivel bearing is installed upside down. The angle of the line going to the head of the jib doesn't look right either but I get confused when I see an elephant up too close anyway.
I think that diagram has misleading labels. I don’t see how the “fixed” part is supposed to be fixed. Here’s what mine does.
IMG_0900.jpeg