Companionway replacing pen boards for easy access while cruising

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Doing some pondering tonight... Kind of thinking ahead.

What do you use to close you companion way while cruising?

In my mind I see something like a tent entry. Split canvas door with a zipper for the exterior. Split bug screen with a zipper for the interior. Use velcro to attach it to the boat because it seals tighter against bugs better than snaps.

Is there someone making something like this or do I break out the sewing machine, tape measure and call sailrite for materials?

Thanks for the help.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We use something like that shown in @Will Gilmore above photo.

We have a DIY heavy duty screen with a sewn on cloth edge, that contains lead weights along 3 sides. The 4th side has snaps that attach on the garage for the companionway sliding hatch. Won't come off but easily moved out of the way for entry. The weights are heavy enough to keep the bugs out and handle wind well. No velcro needed to far. We are known as the mosquito area of Canada.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I love these doors instead of boards (on my O’Day 322 there are 2 pretty large plexiglass boards…hard to handle and to store.
999F2514-2B60-48D1-9D61-ACDD062223DE.jpeg
I really like the look of the dark tint plexi boards though…
6D093C08-ACC4-41B4-B782-5A064C5115FF.jpeg

I ended up painting the doors white…
the need a little love this year.
AF6F576F-E83D-41FE-8E46-49DD3430BE27.jpeg 0724CA9A-C893-41A0-B98C-9DF986E47E7C.jpeg

For ventilation, I have a piece of screen that lay over the companionway opening, with something heavy anchoring it down on the slider. It doesn’t take much to drape it over the opening to keep most bugs out.

I keep thinking I will sew a piece of light chain in the edges to weigh it down, but never get around to it.

I have 2 screens with some elastic sewn into the edges to pull over the lips on the 2 hatches too.

Greg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
lots of great responses. I found this on the sailrite site. It looks cool.

I made our companionway cover based on Sailrite's design. I made it so it completely covers the companionway and hatch. I put velcro around the screen inside and out. When we're on the boat I attach the screen cover to the inside so we can adjust how much ventilation we get and if it is fully covered we can pull down a corner to peek out.
It's easy to unsnap to enter the cabin and once inside to snap it back into place by reaching thru the gaps and pressing on the snaps.

We leave the front snapped in place all the time and just fold it back onto the hatch when entering or leaving the cabin. I planned on putting insulation on the inside but after two years of use, haven't done that yet.

IMG_1329.jpeg

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I made our companionway cover based on Sailrite's design. I made it so it completely covers the companionway and hatch. I put velcro around the screen inside and out. When we're on the boat I attach the screen cover to the inside so we can adjust how much ventilation we get and if it is fully covered we can pull down a corner to peek out.
It's easy to unsnap to enter the cabin and once inside to snap it back into place by reaching thru the gaps and pressing on the snaps.

We leave the front snapped in place all the time and just fold it back onto the hatch when entering or leaving the cabin. I planned on putting insulation on the inside but after two years of use, haven't done that yet.

View attachment 214472
Thank you for the insight on this cover.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'll let you know when I find the perfect solution, but in the meantime...
Our Catalina 315 came with a folding teak door. We got rid of that, and now, when we're not on the boat, we have a set of conventional hatch boards in place.

When we're staying over on the boat, and it's warm and we want a screen in the companionway, the snap in and zip up fabric screens that came with our boat were a poor solution. Way too much hassle every time you want to exit the cabin. Our solution is a removable, single section, screened hatch board. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit the companionway, and then cut a big hole in it, leaving just a 3" perimeter. Then, I used screen material and hardware from Home Depot to screen it over. Painted the plywood gray. Not beautiful, but it looks pretty good. Now, when we want to go on deck we slide the hatch open a little and lift the lightweight screen section out of the way.

For those times when we sleep over on the boat and it's cooler, or it's raining, three hatch boards are a pain in the neck to deal with every time we go on deck. Our solution is a piece of coroplast....That's the quarter inch thick corrugated plastic sheet that is typically used for signs at gas stations, etc.. I cut a piece to fit the companionway, and then used that for a template to cut a second one and used 3M spray glue to sandwich to two together for more rigidity. Now, to exit the cabin, we just lift the single plastic panel out of the way. MUCH easier than hatch boards. The coroplast seems to do a good job of holding up to UV, although I"m in Michigan, so that's not much of a test. We sourced the coroplast from Home Depot.

Our two hatch solutions are stored in the cockpit lazarette in a fitted canvas sleeve I sewed up.

I can say without reservation that this is the best possible solution. For us.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I don't have a picture.

I made a frame using dowels and vinyl tubing in the corners to attach them together.

Took some fiberglass screen sewed some pockets on the sides for the dowels to slip in and Velcro on the top and bottom.

It comes apart rolls up and fits in a PVC tube.

Mar 26, 2011
Repeat:

How do you attached the Velcro when you are inside?

• I have used weighted versions (chain in the hem). They don't seal tightly, but they are very fast, losing minimal heat.
  • I have used Velcro on the inside. Of course, you need to do something else from the outside, but IME, mosquitoes don't go in until the people go in and attract them, unless you leave a light on at night. Then just close the door.

Mar 26, 2011
... I planned on putting insulation on the inside but after two years of use, haven't done that yet.

View attachment 214472
Since the real problem in cold weather is air leaks, I use a separate fleece inner that attaches from the inside with Velcro. Very snug and easier to dry if it gets wet. If it is only cool I just use the outer cover. If it is dry but cool, I sometimes use just the inner; it breathes better.

1681139194354.png

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
Since the real problem in cold weather is air leaks, I use a separate fleece inner that attaches from the inside with Velcro. Very snug and easier to dry if it gets wet. If it is only cool I just use the outer cover. If it is dry but cool, I sometimes use just the inner; it breathes better.

View attachment 214511
We’re more interested in cutting down on radiant heat from the hot sunbrella during hot sunny days and we have AC on. I was thinking about using something like Reflexit material.

Mar 26, 2011
We’re more interested in cutting down on radiant heat from the hot sunbrella during hot sunny days and we have AC on. I was thinking about using something like Reflexit material.
Reflexit, or any aluminuized material, won't have any special advantage unless the sun is on it directly. The Sunbrella should have been white, which would be an even larger improvement (the difference in IR absorption is major). Test this by using a white towel.

(I had AC on my last boat, and I'm an engineer that does this sort of thing.)