ODay 34 chain locker drain

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
While crawling around my ODay 34 I noticed what looked like a drain hose for the anchor chain locker. It comes out of the bottom of the locker and connects to a fitting near the bow. When I look at the bow outside there’s no through hull. Does it just drain into the bilge? I couldn’t see any other place for it to go.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
The chain locker drains into a vinyl hose which is routed to a hole which is in the bow above the waterline.

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI

semantics confusion?
Nope…I think you had the confusion. There are many other places a hose can go besides directly to a through hull. I thought someone could help with that and as you can see, someone other than yourself did.

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
The chain locker drains into a vinyl hose which is routed to a hole which is in the bow above the waterline.
Ah.. that makes sense! Thank you! I thought I was missing a screw in the protective stainless cover on the bow.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
While crawling around my ODay 34 I noticed what looked like a drain hose for the anchor chain locker. It comes out of the bottom of the locker and connects to a fitting near the bow.
Never understood why people respond to questions on forums with asinine comments.
I've said it once (along with so many others), and I'll say it again :

:worthless:

And stop this he said, he said crap.

I can't make heads nor tails from what you verbally described. "Fittings" take many, many, different shapes and forms.

Please, please, please in future take pictures and stop the confusion which is becoming pandemic on this site. If you can see it with your eyes, photo it and send it along. Everyone likes to see pictures.

Last edited:

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
It’s all good. It seems your post was more useless than you think this thread is, as you can see, my question was answered above. Without a picture even! Amazing!

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
It’s all good. It seems your post was more useless than you think this thread is, as you can see, my question was answered above. Without a picture even! Amazing!
I am glad you were able to get an answer to your question. The knowledge base amongst the members here and especially some of the more experienced members is vast as is their willingness to freely share their knowledge.

As you gain experience here and with your boat and sailing I hope you join in and share your hard won knowledge as freely as others do. If you travel that path, you will no doubt encounter new members who have limited experience and ask questions that are not easy to answer in the form they were asked. It is frustrating.

You will find too that sailboats are all different, even similar models built next to each other on the factory floor are often quite different, not to mention modifications and changes made by previous owners. It is always helpful to those trying answer questions that common terminology is used, such as thruhull instead of through hull (recognizing of course that auto-correct may intervene). In the same vein, a picture is worth a 1000 words is perhaps more true online than anywhere else.

Let us all remember sailing has a long history of being a civil and gentlemen's sport, that is the Corinthian tradition. It is also more evident on SBO than some of the other more notorious forums. I look forward to seeing your growth as a sailor and as a valued contributor to SBO.

Cheers. :beer:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On my O’Day 322, the anchor locker drains out a vinyl hose, to a barb fitting near the bow, above the waterline, without any valve.

you can barely make it out in this photo (I circled it)…

19EFB53B-5076-4BC2-AD70-67D99018BCCA.jpeg

Greg

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
On my O’Day 322, the anchor locker drains out a vinyl hose, to a barb fitting near the bow, above the waterline, without any valve.

you can barely make it out in this photo (I circled it)…

View attachment 213067

Greg
I think mine is the same. I was looking for an actual fitting nest the bow at first, but I did see a hole just like yours. Thanks!!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are 2 styles of external thru hull fittings, mushroom and flared. The flared fittings are usually slightly recessed and covered with fairing compound. I would suspect the fitting on the O'Day's is done this way, although in the location at the stem, some of the flange may have been cut off.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
And here is a picture showing the location of ALL through hulls from the Owners Manual;

Through Hulls.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On the 28 of the same era the hole is just a small button, not a proper thru-hull like you’d think of like they used for the sink and shower sump drains. That may be part of the confusion.

Sep 11, 2016
O'Day 30 Halifax, Nova Scotia
The photo from Tally Ho looks like my older 30, 1979 O'Day 30.
In repsonse to all the negative comments, I'm sure we could argue at length but perhaps "thru hull" definition might be the way to make it a positive discussion.

When I think thru-hull, I think a brass item that I have to maintain & monitor.

The anchor "hole" sure does go thru-the-hull, but not sure people consider that a thru-hull when in regular conversation.

-----------------------
If the discussion goes on much longer without conclusion, I offer to go to my (1984) O'Day 34 this weekend and take photos.

Apr 25, 2022
O'Day 34' 1984 Joe Wheeler State Park Marina
While crawling around my ODay 34 I noticed what looked like a drain hose for the anchor chain locker. It comes out of the bottom of the locker and connects to a fitting near the bow. When I look at the bow outside there’s no through hull. Does it just drain into the bilge? I couldn’t see any other place for it to go.
There is a hole drilled in the leading edge of the bow about two feet down. Its hard to see if you are not looking for it. Pour some water down the drain hose and it should be visible exiting. Hope this helps.

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
There is a hole drilled in the leading edge of the bow about two feet down. Its hard to see if you are not looking for it. Pour some water down the drain hose and it should be visible exiting. Hope this helps.
Thanks!