Gennaker

Mar 21, 2022
Bristol Corsair Tampa
Hi again guys
Where to find the right measurements for new or used gennaker for my 1985 Pearson 303. Materials you recommend, weight, ect. How hih on the mast should be attached. Suggestions of used sail lofts or good pricing for new one
Once again thx
CRivera

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Restrictions regarding size and shape are in PHRF handicap rules and apply only to PHRF events. You can see them by visiting Eastern Connecticut Sail Association or virtually any PHRF organization. The material will be Nylon. Probably 1/2 ounce. Height of pole depends on the sail cut.

Mar 21, 2022
Bristol Corsair Tampa
Hi
There would be no pole used since I'm planning g to use an ATN tacker
Restrictions regarding size and shape are in PHRF handicap rules and apply only to PHRF events. You can see them by visiting Eastern Connecticut Sail Association or virtually any PHRF organization. The material will be Nylon. Probably 1/2 ounce. Height of pole depends on the sail cut.
There would be no pole, I'll be using an ATN tacker gadget. Check it out on Google

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sorry, I missed the gennaker and read spinnaker. Tried to post during my lunch 1/2 hour.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
You will need your J , I or ISP measurements.
1674343980504.png

Put your measurements into an online calculator and you will have a basic sail plan.

RE.There would be no pole, I'll be using an ATN tacker gadget. Check it out on Google

A tacker will help you gybe the sail, but if you are sailing dead downwind in light conditions a pole for the gennaker is a good idea.
In light winds, I pole my genoa out one side, douse the main and pole my gennaker out the other side.
I have a home made whisker pole for the gennaker.
Smooth ride.

Look into getting a sock

Gary

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The size of your gennaker will be determined by maximum luff. Most ready made gennakers are built to general sizes, like small, medium, large etc in clothing. The foot and leech measurements will both be shorter than the luff because the sail must float out and up and you want to keep the foot out of the water. Whoever builds the sail has this restriction factored in.. so they would not construct a sail with an exessively long leech that allows the sail to sag too low.

Your subject boat is a masthead rig, and thus must have it's spinnaker secured up top with a swiveling block mounted on a crane that will place the sail in front of the forestay. I trust you to do more research on this. Search with keywords like: rigging gennaker, how to set up an asymetric spinnaer, cruising spinnaker, etc. There's a nice little piece on www.thesailwarehouse.com about their spin packages and how to rig them. Don't forget you'll want an "adjustable tackline" and a pair of "tweakers" for the sheets. Again, these are good search keywords.

When I bought my gennaker from North Sails Direct years ago (I believe this discount, offshore arm of that company is no longer operational) the sails were premade, sold off the shelf and came in a range of sizes as mentioned before. You plugged in your luff dimension and chose the pre cut size that was closest, the J isn't really important for this type of free flying sail.... . The advantage of course was the price... very very good. The sail came witha bag and I had also requested a deployment sock, or snuffer, for only $100 more. Also included was a collar of sail materiel reinforced with webbing and sewn in rings that you could use like the "tacker" ... which allows you to install the sail over the roller furling headsail. I didn't have furled headsail at the time, so I rigged another method to attach clew to the forestay and the adjustable tackline. I find that I don't always attach the clew to the forestay unless I'm sailing on a beam or even close reach, otherwise I like the sail to float out as far as possible when broad reaching or running. Before the ATN tacker was marketed sailors used a device called "parrel beads" to attach the tack to the furled headsail. The "beads" are big round wooden or plastic orbs with a hole that you can run a wire or line through. here's a picture:
I got this from Neil Pride website, they sell them for $70. But you can buy the beads and make your own if you choose. just googe "parrel beads" West Marine sells parrel beads 5 for $10 and you can make the lanyard at their workbench in the store. So....you can spend $220 plus for that tacker thing, or just rig the parrel beads for under $20. Or get the sailmaker to throw in the fabric one like mine did.
Finally, (geesh this turned out to be a length response, sorry) . to learn more about measuring and rigging gennakers. I advise you to visit various sailmaker websites. All of them have instructional videos and articles of interest to make you a more educated sailor. Good Luck.

• Helpful

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
The size of your gennaker will be determined by maximum luff. Most ready made gennakers are built to general sizes, like small, medium, large etc in clothing. The foot and leech measurements will both be shorter than the luff because the sail must float out and up and you want to keep the foot out of the water. Whoever builds the sail has this restriction factored in.. so they would not construct a sail with an exessively long leech that allows the sail to sag too low.

Your subject boat is a masthead rig, and thus must have it's spinnaker secured up top with a swiveling block mounted on a crane that will place the sail in front of the forestay. I trust you to do more research on this. Search with keywords like: rigging gennaker, how to set up an asymetric spinnaer, cruising spinnaker, etc. There's a nice little piece on www.thesailwarehouse.com about their spin packages and how to rig them. Don't forget you'll want an "adjustable tackline" and a pair of "tweakers" for the sheets. Again, these are good search keywords.

When I bought my gennaker from North Sails Direct years ago (I believe this discount, offshore arm of that company is no longer operational) the sails were premade, sold off the shelf and came in a range of sizes as mentioned before. You plugged in your luff dimension and chose the pre cut size that was closest, the J isn't really important for this type of free flying sail.... . The advantage of course was the price... very very good. The sail came witha bag and I had also requested a deployment sock, or snuffer, for only $100 more. Also included was a collar of sail materiel reinforced with webbing and sewn in rings that you could use like the "tacker" ... which allows you to install the sail over the roller furling headsail. I didn't have furled headsail at the time, so I rigged another method to attach clew to the forestay and the adjustable tackline. I find that I don't always attach the clew to the forestay unless I'm sailing on a beam or even close reach, otherwise I like the sail to float out as far as possible when broad reaching or running. Before the ATN tacker was marketed sailors used a device called "parrel beads" to attach the tack to the furled headsail. The "beads" are big round wooden or plastic orbs with a hole that you can run a wire or line through. here's a picture:
I got this from Neil Pride website, they sell them for $70. But you can buy the beads and make your own if you choose. just googe "parrel beads" West Marine sells parrel beads 5 for $10 and you can make the lanyard at their workbench in the store. So....you can spend $220 plus for that tacker thing, or just rig the parrel beads for under $20. Or get the sailmaker to throw in the fabric one like mine did.
Finally, (geesh this turned out to be a length response, sorry) . to learn more about measuring and rigging gennakers. I advise you to visit various sailmaker websites. All of them have instructional videos and articles of interest to make you a more educated sailor. Good Luck.
So how do those parrel beads or the tracker go over your sheets on the rolled foresail?

dj

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
So how do those parrel beads or the tracker go over your sheets on the rolled foresail?

dj
It's a free flying downwind sail. The parrel beads, sleeve or the tacker rotate forward around the outside of the rigging following the sail when you gybe. The sheets on the furled headsail are in the foretriangle over the deck, and downwind sails don't go there unless there's a screw up.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
The sail operates outside the fixed headsail and its sheets. It's free flying, meaning the luff of the sail is not attached the boat's forestay. The sail is gybed, not tacked. Even when the tack is attached to the forestay via the beads, a sleeve or a tacker, it will rotate around the forward side of the stay or furled headsail. You never tack the sail inside the foretriangle like you do an upwind sail. The clew of the sail is allowed to fly out and around the forestay and its sheets are always rigged outside the other rigging. When you gybe the sail you ease the sheet out far enough for the forestay to pass behind the clew as the boat turns under the sail on its new heading. It's a downwind sail.
@Joe I understand how the sail flies, what I'm not understanding is the role the parrel beads or the trackers are doing - specifically if they are being used as a downhaul, how do they pass over the sheets on the foresail?

dj

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
The sheets remain attached to the clew of the furled sail, above the tacker.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
UOTE="dLj, post: 1773093, member: 137544"]
@Joe I understand how the sail flies, what I'm not understanding is the role the parrel beads or the trackers are doing - specifically if they are being used as a downhaul, how do they pass over the sheets on the foresail?

dj
[/QUOTE]
dj, it's not tracker, it's called a Tacker... there's no R. The manufacturer is a company named Atninc and the device's official name is the ATN Tacker.
To answer your question: Neither the tacker nor the parrel beads would rise high enough on the forestay to be interfered with by the wrapped sheet. A few feet above the pulpit at most. The parrel beads were mentioned because they've been the prevailing attachment method on furled heads sails since the beginning. Along with a spinnaker pole, of course.

Anyway, it makes sense to simply observe it in operation. Here you go:

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY

dj
There is a downhaul on the sail or the ATN Tacker. When jibing, the sail flies in front of the forestay. This was the precursor to the ubiquitous Asym flown off a bow sprit. I have one with a symmetrical spinnaker. It works, I never use it.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
UOTE="dLj, post: 1773093, member: 137544"]

dj
dj, it's not tracker, it's called a Tacker... there's no R. The manufacturer is a company named Atninc and the device's official name is the ATN Tacker.
To answer your question: Neither the tacker nor the parrel beads would rise high enough on the forestay to be interfered with by the wrapped sheet. A few feet above the pulpit at most. The parrel beads were mentioned because they've been the prevailing attachment method on furled heads sails since the beginning. Along with a spinnaker pole, of course.

Anyway, it makes sense to simply observe it in operation. Here you go:
[/QUOTE]
Great video, now I see where my confusion was. Thank you!

dj