Ice Box Conversion Quandary

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Hehe damn hoses would hold more than the system.
just about. I do use my gauges when I pull a vacuum but if I just need to top up the system a little bit, I base the charge on the height of the frost line. After the system is running and the ambient temperatures are normal for your season, the frost line should be 3/4 height or above but no frost in the return line.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Seems the time to tear apart a portable unit, configuring it to work in a icebox with location challenges and then having a system that is designed Defoe a much smaller space than a icebox, a couple hundred more bucks and you have a system designed for the installation like a cheaper Isotherm unit. Sorry for the long sentence…..being able to install the system and locate the compressor in a area with good ventilation will be difficult with a system that is designed to fit in a cooler body.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
being able to install the system and locate the compressor in a area with good ventilation will be difficult with a system that is designed to fit in a cooler body.
Not at all. The LG compressor units in the portable units are more or less self contained (used in multiple different equipment designs) and can be located as needed. (Just like the marine ones)
All you need to locate is the digital temp controls in the cabinetry and extend the lines to the coil, once the location of the compressor is determined.

The digital controls with temp display are nice.
The air-cooled isotherm units all have old controls

Some portable fridges have 2 zones, each with digital temp display. You could split the boat icebox into two areas the same way and have different accurate temps in either.
The air cooled isotherm units I find online don't do that.

designed Defoe a much smaller space than a icebox
Some of portable compressor type fridge/freezers are bigger capacity than many marine iceboxes. Based on the ones I have seen, they often use the same self-contained compressor/control unit. Just a bigger box and corresponding coils. I assume they are oversized in the smaller portable refrigerator units.(At some point the compressor would need to be bigger)

The fact that the main components are meant for a smaller space is an advantage.

Another option is to buy the modular components and make your own. Assuming you have the knowledge.

a couple hundred more bucks
My buddy got his dual zone alpicool unit for $190 *price confirmed and corrected.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Not at all. The LG compressor units in the portable units are more or less self contained (used in multiple different equipment designs) and can be located as needed. (Just like the marine ones)
All you need to locate is the digital temp controls in the cabinetry and extend the lines to the coil, once the location of the compressor is determined.

The digital controls with temp display are nice.
The air-cooled isotherm units all have old controls

Some portable fridges have 2 zones, each with digital temp display. You could split the boat icebox into two areas the same way and have different accurate temps in either.
The air cooled isotherm units I find online don't do that.

Some of portable compressor type fridge/freezers are bigger capacity than many marine iceboxes. Based on the ones I have seen, they often use the same self-contained compressor/control unit. Just a bigger box and corresponding coils. I assume they are oversized in the smaller portable refrigerator units.(At some point the compressor would need to be bigger)

The fact that the main components are meant for a smaller space is an advantage.

Another option is to buy the modular components and make your own. Assuming you have the knowledge.

My buddy got his dual zone alpicool unit for $190 *price confirmed and corrected.
I needed a couple feet of line between where the coils are located and where the compressor could be mounted. So you cut a big hole on the box to get the coils inside? It’s a closed system that you can’t take apart easily.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So you cut a big hole on the box to get the coils inside? It’s a closed system that you can’t take apart easily.
In my case the compressor will likely end up 2 feet from the ice box.
So the tubing for the coils would be evacuated, cut, extended, reconnected, leak tested with nitrogen, totally emptied with a vacuum pump (which also boils away any moisture), refilled with refrigerant until the frost line is correct.

Unlike automotive AC systems that I am accustomed to, some of these small systems don't have normal fittings for connecting the coils, or even refilling the refrigerant. BUT you can buy and install the fittings, and end up with a system that is easily dismantled, evacuated/refilled if serviced.

Not really something the average guy can do since you need a bunch of specialized tools and in Canada you can't buy refrigerant unless you have a license.

One compressor install location I have considered, is in the cabinets in the galley. Cut the front panel and make a grill to allow good airflow. Make it easier to service, and save space in the port lazarette.

That COULD allow me to make a hole in the ice box and feed the coil inside without disconnecting and extending it. The portable fridges often have the coil wrapped around the box. To feed it into the boat's icebox you would have to gently bend it and feed it through a 1 inch hole. Once the coil was inside, coil it back up again. Might be doable but I wouldn't when I can just cut it and reconnect. IMO.

I see these portable refrigerators as a cheap source of parts. Like parting out a vehicle, it is cheaper than buying the parts themselves. :banghead:

The fact that the portable fridges have dual zone, dual temp controls, eco/full speed function and low voltage shutdown, makes them very attractive to me as a source of parts. Some even have wireless connection to an app on your cell phone.

The problem is, you need refrigerant skills to do that. Hence why some buy an IMO overpriced marine conversion kit.

That said, the easiest setup might be modifying the cabinets so a flat topped portable fridge just slides and straps onto a shelf after the icebox is removed. That way it is removable.
One of our club members did exactly that.
No refrigeration skills needed. cheaper,and arguably better than a conventional icebox conversion. Especially if you have a smaller boat.

Even better would be a company making a kit with rational non marine markup, that has dual zone, digital temp, ASU components. Shouldn't be too hard really. Find out where they portable fridge mfg get their parts and have the coils customized with fittings for easy install.
The marine companies need some competitors.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Leeward has the idea correct. You can locate the compressor anywhere conveineant just like the precharged marine units and the seperate evoparator unit is installed inside the ice box. The big difference between the install is on the typical marine unit, the system is precharged and all you need to do is connect the supply and return connectors and it is running (as long as you do not get a leak.)
using parts from a stand-along cooler, you will need to get copper tubing, connect them and evacuate the system before charging.
As for cost, my 50L freezer cost $280. I have not seen any icebox conversions for less than $1500. The parts are the same except that the cooler has a far superior control system.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
As for cost, my 50L freezer cost $280. I have not seen any icebox conversions for less than $1500. The parts are the same except that the cooler has a far superior control system.
That's it in a nutshell.

Alibaba.com is a good source if you find a company that will ship a single sample. (They focus on business to business sales)
Long ship times but you can save a few $$.
Some use AliExpress, but lately they seem to be as expensive, for some products, as other online sources like Amazon.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Not really something the average guy can do since you need a bunch of specialized tools and in Canada you can't buy refrigerant unless you have a license.
  • The specialty tools needed are an HVAC vacuum pump $95
  • tubing flare tool for compression fittings or propane torch for silver solder
handy things to add to the kit
As for refrigerant, these systems all use R134a which can be found $10-$20 at any auto parts store or a bit more with a gauge and valve attached.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
these systems all use R134a which can be found $10-$20 at any auto parts store
Not in Canada, without an license.

But..You can get Redtek 12c or similar, which a propane/butane blend, here at auto stores without a license. It is meant as a freon 12a and 134a substitute.