Hunter 280 mast Question

Nov 2, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Wylie Texas
Sorry that I don't have a picture to post, but my Hunter 280 has a sizable hole in the starboard side of the mast where I assume that the Topping lift was meant to exit via an exit block then go up to a cleat. The hole is there with 4 mounting holes in a rectangular configuration but nothing remains of the block. Hoping someone will have a picture of the correct exit block.

Interestingly, US Spars says the mast should be a Z351 but that has round sail slides and my mast has a rectangular slot for sail slides so that would make it a Z301. What mast is on your 280? Anyone have a similar exit block on the starboard side?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Here is another thread I found on the same topic

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A web search for "Mast Exit Blocks" will yield a plethora of exit block images from which to select the one that meets your need.

• Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Can’t tell you it is OEM.

Looks to me, to be a previous owners install of an exit block. The large size was cut to simplify the install of internal halyards.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am going out on the limb as it has been many years I sold a Hunter 280. Yes there was a rectangular exit block offered by Z Spar. After z Spar purchased Kenyon Isomat, Z Spar moved to Charlotte with everyone being laid off. Z spar left the U S and re-emerged as U S Spars back in the old factory near Gainesville Florida. Before the debacle of Hunter Marine, there was a move to file Hunter records by Eddie Breeden. And a customer of mine , Jim Seamons whose H 356 was called JAVA. HUNTER OWNERS AND SAILBOAT OWNERS RETAINED MOST BUILD LISTS OF HUNTER SAILBOATS. You could ask if Sailboat/Hunter owners to see if they have a build list to properly identify the mast of a hunter 280.
First contact sailboat owners and ask for Al, Joe or Mike who were former Hunter employees as sailboat owners is now owned by a former employee. You could also ask Dave in sales at US Spars once the mast
Has been identified.
As for the Hunter 356, check out the posts on Java by Jim Seamons. He is sorely missed by those who knew him particularly by me.
Keep us posted on the exit block. As for the above picture showing doubled plated, I don’t recall that on the mast but inside at the bottom you can see the original mast which is curved!!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I used to own a H280, and I don’t recall all those rivets on my mast…maybe, but I dont recall mine having that.

@Crusty Ol Salt currently has a H280, IIRC.

Maybe he can look at his.

Greg

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
I used to own a H280, and I don’t recall all those rivets on my mast…maybe, but I dont recall mine having that.

@Crusty Ol Salt currently has a H280, IIRC.

Maybe he can look at his.

Greg
Thx for reaching @Tally Ho
Perfect timing too. I am off tomorrow and the marina is right around the corner. I will run by and get some pictures.

Aug 19, 2021
Okay, sorry about posting later than I intended. I swear it is just an "exit block" (@Crazy Dave Condon ) to prevent chafing.
We are under a small craft advisory today and and I did not break out the borescope and investigate more.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Aug 19, 2021
Yes there was a rectangular exit block offered by Z Spar.
Keep us posted on the exit block. As for the above picture showing doubled plated, I don’t recall that on the mast but inside at the bottom you can see the original mast which is curved!!
Thx Dave

If you look at the danger tag it is a Z Spar Inc. mast.
AND
I learned the proper name "Exit Block".

Life is good.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Okay, sorry about posting later than I intended. I swear it is just an "exit block" (@Crazy Dave Condon ) to prevent chafing.
We are under a small craft advisory today and and I did not break out the borescope and investigate more.

I hope this helps.
Yours does have the same reinforcement plate…I guess I wasn't that observant when I had my H280.