Bilge pump impeller working, but not pumping

John_F

Feb 24, 2009
Beneteau 31 Buffalo
I tested my bilge pump today. I took off the hose and placed the pump in water. The pump works; however when I put the drain hose back on the bilge pump, it did not pump water out of the bilge. I have a Rule Mate 750gph.

Would there be a check valve that went bad somewhere in the hose? Very weird. It works fine in a bucket.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
On my pumps, the check valve is within six inches of the pump. When you disconnected the hose from the pump, did water flow back into the bilge?

John_F

Feb 24, 2009
Beneteau 31 Buffalo
No, that is the weird thing. the bilge pump pumped water when I had it in a bucket, but did not pump the water from the bilge. And it's not oily water.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It sounds like the bilge hose must be plugged up or crimped somewhere.

As @kappykaplan said, any check valve is usually right at the pump outlet.

You could get a length of bilge hose and just run it out the companionway and overboard, the hook it up to the pump and see if it works as expected. if so, you can use that new length of hose to replace the old one.

Greg

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I tested my bilge pump today. I took off the hose and placed the pump in water. The pump works; however when I put the drain hose back on the bilge pump, it did not pump water out of the bilge.
when you say it works, how high is the head it was pumping?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Unless there are 2 or more bilge pumps using the same outlet, check valves in the pump outlets are not recommended. If one of the check valves fail, the other pump may well pump water back into the bilge through the failed check valve.

Most bilge pumps can only pump water not air. If the vanes in the pump are not completely submerged they will not pump water, they have no ability to lift water up and push it out. Diaphragm pumps can lift water and push it out.

The reason manufacturer's put check valves on their vane pumps is to stop water from draining back into the bilge. The vane pumps will push water out of the bilge and once the vanes are above the water level they will not push the water any further. The pump shuts off and water in the hose drains back into the bilge, only to repeat the cycle. Once the water level is low enough for the float switch to shut the pump off, water in the bilge will remain in the bilge until water rises enough to turn the float switch back on.

In a bucket with the pump fully submerged the pump will pump. If you let it pump all the water out and shut it off water in the hose will drain back in to the bucket.

As @Don S/V ILLusion alludes to head, or how high the pump has to push the water is an issue. A long hose and a large head will allow lots of water in the hose to drain back into the bilge.

A deceptive marketing plan is to report the pump's capacity at zero head. The higher the head, the lower the pump's capacity. In real life the 750 gps pump will pump much less than 750 mph.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Another thing to check after a restricted hose or stuck check valve is the electrical supply wiring to the pump. A weak corroded/dirty connection will sometimes turn the pump motor but will not let it spin fast enough to overcome the resistance in the discharge hose.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
On my pumps, the check valve is within six inches of the pump. When you disconnected the hose from the pump, did water flow back into the bilge?
You didn't mention which sort of pump you are using, but one should never use a check valve with centrifugal pumps. Never, no matter the reason.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
one should never use a check valve with centrifugal pumps. Never, no matter the reason.
Any reason behind that ?

I've seen check valves on 1,000 HP centrifugal pumps all the way down to basement sump pumps. When pumping to a higher pressure, without a check valve, the whole works comes back into your lap when the pump shuts down.

I don't think a check valve is needed or desirable with a bilge pump as long as the discharge hose is horizontal.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
@capta , they are both standard Rule pumps and not centrifugal.
Did a quick search on Rule bilge pumps and couldn't find one that wasn't centrifugal. The Rule Mate 755 GPH is definitely centrifugal.

1664728322833.png

Pricey little bugger though.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Disconnect the hose and blow air into it to see if it is clogged. You can also use water hose with water pressure to move the clog out if that is the problem. How long is the hose?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Try checking to see if the impeller is slipping on the motor spindle under load.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
my pump will be replaced for similar issues; look like the tabs on the housing are loose. If I push down slightly on the housing it will pump better.

• Helpful
Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
You didn't mention which sort of pump you are using, but one should never use a check valve with centrifugal pumps. Never, no matter the reason.
Any reason behind that ?

I've seen check valves on 1,000 HP centrifugal pumps all the way down to basement sump pumps. When pumping to a higher pressure, without a check valve, the whole works comes back into your lap when the pump shuts down.

I don't think a check valve is needed or desirable with a bilge pump as long as the discharge hose is horizontal.
I agree with Ralph. I have work on and tested pumps for over 40 years and the first thing I ask when I purchased a sailboat was "Why in the world is there no check valve on the bilge pump? It lets a gallon of water return to the bilge every time it shuts off."

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Hey guys, let's not kill us messengers....
"If one does not care to follow the RULE installation instructions, which include a full page warning for no check valve, that is not something to take up with me on the net. It is probably best to take it up with Rule." _Maine Sailrule check valve.jpg