A jib and a genoa?

Jul 24, 2022
Catalina 22 #6127 Dallas, TX
Having a first look at the sails, and could use a little help figuring out what I've got.

My mast measures 23 feet.

In bag #1 is what looks like a jib and a genoa.... but the genoa looks too big?

What I think might be the jib:
jib01.jpg

What I'm guessing is about a 130% genoa...?
genoa01.jpg

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
My bags came marked: 110% and 150%, but I’ve honestly not measured them and it would be a good thing to learn.
There is a way to calculate what these are, but I don’t know it by heart so I had to look it up.
If you have the sails down and can still measure them, take a tape measure and find the shortest distance between the clew and the luff. This will give you a Luff Perpendicular value that you can use to calculate what they are.

This article was hard to follow but gives the details on how to find it:4.2 - Genoas and Other Jibs — UK Sailmakers

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Measure a perpendicular line from the luff (the longest side that has the hank on pistons) to the clew (the corner opposite the luff) Geometry lesson aside, you're comparing the area of the headsail with the area of the foretriangle (which is a RIGHT triangle formed by the mast, foredeck and the forestay.) Therefore, the shortcut is to divide the length of the foredeck into the perpendicular line on the luff (LP luff perpendicular, or the height of the triangle). In sail measurement terms the foredeck length (from stem to mast) is designated as the "J" and is conveniently listed in your owner manual, all promotional flyers and on SailboatData.com - CATALINA 22 Sailboat example: If you're J is 8.0 ft and your LP is 8.8 ft .... your sail is a 110% jib if it's the smaller of the two, the larger sail will be the genoa. Btw... headsails rarely have 90 deg angles at any corner. That's why the LP (or triangle height) must be used. It also means that even a 100% jib will have some overlap, where the clew extends aft of the mast. The overlap, besides the LP of course, will also be affected by the cut of the sail. i.e how high the clew is positioned.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
fun facts: a genoa is a jib.
a 100% jib will never overlap the mast
a genoa is an overlapping (the mast) sail. slag term, originally, used to talk of an overlapping sail used by a winner in the 1922 olympics in genoa

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
so is an asymetrical spinnaker a headsail?

...... is it a jib?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Even though your mast is 23’ it sits on the deck slightly above the tack of the jib. The I measurement is the one that gives the total height from headstay tack to the top. The I measurement on a Catalina 22 is 25.85 feet. So with a J of 8’ and I of 25.85’ your headstay length is actually the square root of (25.85^2 + 8^2), which is 27.04’. So your genoa with a luff of 26’ 2” should fit fine.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This may or may not help, but here are the luff, leech, and foot measurements for the five headsails we use. The vertical line represents the mast, and the two numbers (1' and 2') at the bottom right are the lengths of the pendants we use on the three smallest sails.

SAIL DATA.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Just a note my genoa i got with the boat never really flew correctly, got to looking closely at a small tag in corner, turns out it was one for 25ft oday, had it recut by sail loft, flies fine now, but taught me to measure and check tags.