Tips and Tricks for Pop Top

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hey gang - I have a new-to-me boat. It's a 1987. My other C22 is a 1971 and it doesn't have the pop top.

I tried to raise the top and noted that it is not at all easy, plus it is very heavy. I'll probably install the power assist lift kit over the winter. In the mean time, does anyone have any tips to raise it? When I raise it, it does align with the mast very easily. Then the top does not stay up reliably even with the lock assembly in place. It has fallen twice now, once on my head and the other with my hand under it. Both of them hurt like hell, but I was lucky enough not to break my fingers. Even the hatch knobs are a pain in the butt. They get in the way and don't always line up after dropping the top down.

Thanks!
Kevin

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I have ordered the hydraulic lift kit but haven't had a chance to install it yet. It is supposed to really help with lifting it and slowing down it's fall.

My clip for holding the top up (the one in the mast) has held mine up pretty well, so you may need to replace the large set screw if that isn't holding it.

As for keeping the clips out of the way when dropping the top, here's what I've done:
IMG_2777.jpeg

It is a little bungie with a ball on the end. My boat had about a dozen of them from the prior owner. I just wrap it around the post and the knob and it holds it up and out of the way. I leave those on anytime it is up. The other alternative is to get some small clips that screw in just outside of the knobs, between the knob and the center of the top. I've been meaning to order a pair of those. It would make it easier because when you're done unscrewing them, they would just clip out of the way.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Hey gang - I have a new-to-me boat. It's a 1987. My other C22 is a 1971 and it doesn't have the pop top.

I tried to raise the top and noted that it is not at all easy, plus it is very heavy. I'll probably install the power assist lift kit over the winter. In the mean time, does anyone have any tips to raise it? When I raise it, it does align with the mast very easily. Then the top does not stay up reliably even with the lock assembly in place. It has fallen twice now, once on my head and the other with my hand under it. Both of them hurt like hell, but I was lucky enough not to break my fingers. Even the hatch knobs are a pain in the butt. They get in the way and don't always line up after dropping the top down.

Thanks!
Kevin
I have a small section of PVC that I put under it right at the mast…hasn’t fallen since…

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Sounds like you poptop lock is not in good shape. You should be able to tighten the knob enough,to not allow the.top to drop in normal use. That said, they won't prevent it from.dropping if someone falls against the top. That is why some people make removable, rigid supports as a safety measure.

They have the added function of holding up the poptop when the mast is down.
Great if you use the boat as an RV when towing it long distances.

poptopprop.jpg

As for lifting it up.. it weighs a lot so it is hard to lift. No real trick there, just need the strength. That is why people install gas struts, either DIY, or a more expensive, but easier kit. (I just bought the parts and installed them myself.

While the point of the gas struts is to make the top easier to lift....If installed correctly, they add a tiny bit of stability so that the top doesn't move out of alignment as much.

To keep the clamps/latches out of the way when raising or.lowering the top, get some Beckson Holding Clips.
Beckson Beckson Clipper Clips

They are just the right size to fit around the barrel of the poptop latch knobs, and hold them up, out of the way. (I don't remember the size I used. You will have to measure the knobs and order accordingly)
Pop top Clips.jpgPop top dog clips.jpgpop top clips installed.jpg

As for getting the latches to line up...get them all in position before you tighten any of them.

Last edited: