Keel didn’t line up in the cradle

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Oh man, I just finally rewatched the video. Good grief; this one made me physically cringe. Yikes.

EDIT: yeah, that mast tipped all the way over until it bounced off the mast base. I'm lucky that didn't crack or rip the base out of the deck. And I will definitely pull the mast up directly under the block/pulley in the future. This was my first time using that at the sailing club, and I was taking their advice.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Oh man, I just finally rewatched the video. Good grief; this one made me physically cringe. Yikes.

EDIT: yeah, that mast tipped all the way over until it bounced off the mast base. I'm lucky that didn't crack or rip the base out of the deck. And I will definitely pull the mast up directly under the block/pulley in the future. This was my first time using that at the sailing club, and I was taking their advice.
We all figured it out the same way :) Trial and error. You cannot lower the mast without disconnecting the forward lowers -- but everything else can and should stay put: I can actually stop mid raise or lower and go full hands free with no risk. Mind you at the early angle of the raise and the inverse when lowering the main stays and aft lowers are not doing much to support the side loading but that's all but a few seconds of support close to the deck where manual support by a human is more than enough of a safety factor.

Feb 28, 2022
That makes sense. I got quick release levers for them and was eager to pull the upper shrouds, but I definitely won't do that from now on. I'll wait until the mast is down to release those.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
On my 19' I had a lot of issues getting it aligned so I installed the guide posts as mentioned above but I went one step further and taped a measuring tape on them. This way I'll know if the ramp is uneven which could cause it to miss the bunk. I also made a wider bunk. You don't need to install marine carpeting if you go this route. I used reasonably priced indoor carpeting. Don't try to staple it. Use screws. Much better and way easier

By far the best thing was moving from ponds to Lake Michigan because I could actually see the trailer under the water. With ponds it was a lot of guessing

Feb 28, 2022
How did the measuring tape help? I'm having a hard time picturing what they would do.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I put them on just before abandoning small lakes and ponds but the theory is that if the deck or rub rail is even with the same numbers on both sides then your boat is level with the trailer

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Good grief; this one made me physically cringe. Yikes.
I was putting the rig up tonight — figured I would get you a video of the concept while I was at it: