Select New England Ropes 30% Off and Samson Ropes 20% Off at WM!

Feb 10, 2022
Catalina 22 473 Idaho Falls, ID
I just placed an order for NER Sta-Set on WM and was pleasantly surprised to discover it was 30% off. The markdowns do not show until you select the specific rope color and diameter! Just thought I would share the drop. Enjoy!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The problem with WM is, most of the time their line is already over-priced. Appreciate the effort but most of us know that in the area of running rigging it pays to shop around. For instance, a quick check over at WM you'll find 3/8" NER sta-set solid color for as low as $1.04/ft. The same rope over at Defender.com (just an example, not an endorsement) is .80/ft. and their special membership price is .80/ft! Just a head's up if you are considering re rigging your boat. Look up all the online folks before you buy. Have fun.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
The problem with WM is, most of the time their line is already over-priced. Appreciate the effort but most of us know that in the area of running rigging it pays to shop around. For instance, a quick check over at WM you'll find 3/8" NER sta-set solid color for as low as $1.04/ft. The same rope over at Defender.com (just an example, not an endorsement) is .80/ft. and their special membership price is .80/ft! Just a head's up if you are considering re rigging your boat. Look up all the online folks before you buy. Have fun.
And call our hosts here at SailboatOwners.com. They're good people.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
is .80/ft. and their special membership price is .80/ft!
(Wrong, it's 99¢/foot and 87¢/foot.)

So, Defender's regular price is 5¢ per foot less than West Marine, but West ships for free, and Defender doesn't. For your example, at 150' of line, Defender's shipping is $9.32 Surepost, $12.66 UPS. So, WM would be $165.75, and Defender $167 Surepost, $177.44 UPS. This isn't obvious with Defender at first, because the conceal the fact that they are going to charge sales tax.

So, how is West Marine overpriced? WM is, in fact, less expensive, delivered.

Sure I can send Defender $50 to save 12% on my rope. Break even is at something like 437 feet.

But saying WM is overpriced on this is simply not true.

In addition, they are all over the place, so I can go get it if I want.

And, WM gives back something like 3% on purchases. I bought a gallon of Interlux Micron CSC, on sale for $199 plus tax, less $20 worth of West Advantage bucks, and free shipping. $192. Defender is $257 or $243 plus $13.69 UPS. Who's overpriced now?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Okay, I'll try this again, because you've obviously missed the point. My first comment simply states that "in general" wm regular prices on rope are at the top of the scale. If you want to bring in shipping and wm advantage that's your choice.. so be it.. that's a good reason to shop there. I have taken advantage of that many times when it makes sense. And sure, a person can wait around for the sale on cordage and save some money over the regular wm price. And I have done that, too when they had a really good sale price on Samson amsteel and it was in stock at the local store ... which was really convenient besides a timely opportunity for me. So I'm not dissing WM marine. I'm not saying don't buy anything from them. I do all the time and I appreciate their place in our world. I'm just saying that when you are looking for cordage, shop around, if you don't want to wait for the wm sale. And especially if you're gonna do lots of re fitting...

To make my point about prices....... I provided an example of the dif between 3/8" sta-set at WM and ... let's say 3/8" sta-set at Defender.com. I didn't say ONLY Defender.com... you might want to look at the SBO store, or Fawcett, or Vela, or Mauri Pro, or Cajun, or any freakin' where you choose. But Defender was my example... and here's what I found... and I'm sorry I incorrectly printed it the first time.. but now I'll just give you a link. WM Sale first. Three non sale samples. The gist is that WM's sale price is still higher than the competition's regular price. So if you miss the sale, you can still get discounted deals on running rigging. That's all I'm really saying.

NEW ENGLAND ROPES Color-Coded Sta-Set Polyester Yacht Braid, Sold per Foot | West Marine Note: you'll have to scan through page to find 3/8 sta set.. but.. it's $1.04/ft

New England Ropes Sta-Set - 3/8" (10 mm) | Defender Marine

Amazon.com: New England Ropes 3/8in (10mm) Sta-Set and Lengths : New England Ropes: Electronics Note: price is for 100 ft.

New England Ropes Sta-Set - 3/8 in. (10 mm) Polyeste| MAURIPRO Sailing

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Got it. Shipping matters, though. Amazon looks like the best deal. Mauripro doesn't have much selection of Sta-set, e.g., no solid color 3/8". And yes, if you miss a sale at WM, their price is indeed high. But then, if you catch it, all good! I have always had the luck that when I needed it, it was on sale, as when I bought about 175' of 3/8" (I think) for my single line reefing setup. But then, I went to the store, so shipping wasn't an issue.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
In the past WM has also had a minimum length to get the sale price at some stores. With the demise of almost all brick and mortar boat supply stores they are usually the only place in town too!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
You should also check here at the SBO Store for rope and other things before going off-site. Helps support SBO to keep it alive. Contact the SBO Store if you don't find what your are looking for.