Beneteau 323

Mar 5, 2022
Beneteau 323 St. Augustine
My 2007 Bennie has wobble in her rudder. Would be grateful for suggestions to remedy.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Welcome to SBO forums! Wondering how much use your Bene has seen.
My rudder has a little bit of play and I know it’s not from overuse, so I have simply monitored it for the past ten years; really hasn’t become any worse. If your problem is extreme you will have to change the rudder bearing. Search the archives here, because someone previously posted a shimming procedure to reduce excess movement, without replacing the bearings. Again, welcome aboard.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My 2007 Bennie has wobble in her rudder. Would be grateful for suggestions to remedy.
Welcome to the forum.
Can you clarify your definition of “wobble” ?
If its the rudder post, it would probably be an indicator of the need to change the rudder shaft bearings.
That means haul out, dig a hole, and drop the rudder in order to repair.
If you mean the rudder is flipping port and starboard, it could be just a need to pull up the cockpit floorboard and adjust the rudder cable at the quadrant.
I had my 323 for 17 years and never experienced any symptoms like you describe.

Mar 5, 2022
Beneteau 323 St. Augustine
Welcome to the forum.
Can you clarify your definition of “wobble” ?
If its the rudder post, it would probably be an indicator of the need to change the rudder shaft bearings.
That means haul out, dig a hole, and drop the rudder in order to repair.
If you mean the rudder is flipping port and starboard, it could be just a need to pull up the cockpit floorboard and adjust the rudder cable at the quadrant.
I had my 323 for 17 years and never experienced any symptoms like you describe.
The guy who dives my boat said that the rudder has play in it when he yanks on it. I have pushed hard against the quadrant, and yes it moves a little but the steering wheel feels solid when I am out on the water.