Downwind sails.

JimP

Dec 26, 2014
Hunter 386 Barnegat Bay, NJ
On my 2006 h31 I converted the sock asymmetrical to top down furler and tacked it at the bow roller.
As a single handed, was great to leave for a day sail and operate from the cockpit

Mar 26, 2015
Hunter 376 Marina del Rey
JimP,
Top down furling looks like the only viable option for single handing. Many thanks.
Tim

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I've used both top down furler and sock. I actually prefer the sock but you do need to go on deck to pull down the sock.

I really like my asymmetrical spinnaker with a sock. Easy enough to set up and douse, and I have used the whisker pole to hold it out wing on wing like Hayden said for running to get it out from behind the main.

Another option for light wind reaching is a code zero. These are close in area to a spinnaker, fly loose luff like a spinnaker, but cut a bit flatter and work very well on a reach. They are very well suited for a furler and easier to handle than a spinnaker but don't fly as far forward so not as good down wind.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Our size of boat, 35-40 ft the management of an asymmetrical using the sock is very doable. You control the use in times when conditions are passive. As the wind and sea state build you take the sail down and stow it, using a furled jib/genoa in winds much above 10knots.

Some of us are just adversed to moving outside the cockpit. Either because our mobility is limited or the boat is not set up to move safely about the boat. Then the added expense of a topdown furler makes sense.

Either way getting out and sailing is the key.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have an asymmetrical, cruising spinnaker, but I've never used it. I really wish I could. I will be single-handing for a while, as I'm divorcing. :( Can you rig a cruising spinnaker on a top down furler and leave it up and furled as you're using the jib?

I would have used the spinnaker, except there's no good place to store it on my boat! Great boat, but strange design, as there's no sail locker. I now might be able to convert the starboard hanging locker in the forward cabin into a sail locker for the spinnaker, and hoist it straight out the hatch. We'll see.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,
You can have a cruising asymmetric spinnaker on a top down furler. It will need a torsion line, and a LOT of tension on the line. You can even have a furling system (swivel, furling drum and line, torsion line, etc) setup to be used with multiple sails, say a code 0, cruising asym, etc.

You can also rig the sail and leave it set, furled, on it's own furler. You can't live it up in the sun all of the time like a headsail with a sun strip on it. You can rig it in the morning, sail with it, furl it and sail with the headsail, sail it again, etc. Just take it down if you won't be using it for a while.

I hear you about carrying sails on boats without space for them. I do my serious racing on a friend's boat. We have 3 headsails and 2 spinnakers, 0o the quarter berth is always full of sails. On my boat (rigged with main and #1 genoa) I carry a #3 headsail, code 0 on furler, and I'm debating carrying my asymmetric spinnaker. Last year I left that sail at home in the basement. This year, for casual sails I think I will only carry the code 0. I'm planning a long cruise over the summer, so I'll take the extra sails then. The sails will be in one of the aft cabins during the day. If a guest needs to use the cabin at night the sails will have go to into the cockpit.

Barry

Can you rig a cruising spinnaker on a top down furler and leave it up and furled as you're using the jib?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
That is cool, John, thanks. I really like Harken, love their customer support. All of my boat hardware is Harken, except perhaps my genoa tracks and dual-line lead blocks, which I think are Schaefer. But, I've had northing but positive experiences with Harken. I am looking towards raising my headsail furler about 12", and getting new Dacron sails, and then a furler for my asymmetrical spinnaker. Or maybe look into a code 0?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Read somewhere a picture is worth a thousand words.... no idea how much a video is worth.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Read somewhere a picture is worth a thousand words.... no idea how much a video is worth.
Probably depends on the frame rate. Anywhere from 24,000 words per second in a movie to 60,000 words per second for a typical video.

A spinnaker with a sock is manageable for one person in ideal conditions with an autopilot. A top down furler reduces the need for a trip to the foredeck which would make things easier and safer if the wind builds unexpectedly. One downside of the top down furler, if leaving it rigged, is that carrying that cylindrical shape in front of the headsail does negatively impact upwind performance.

Mar 26, 2015
Getting out on the foredeck isn’t a problem. Wrestling a sock and sail, in a reasonable breeze is, apparently, doable when single handing. I’m getting close to breaking into my piggy bank here you guys.

• Ha

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I have an asymmetrical, cruising spinnaker, but I've never used it. I really wish I could. I will be single-handing for a while, as I'm divorcing. :( Can you rig a cruising spinnaker on a top down furler and leave it up and furled as you're using the jib?

I would have used the spinnaker, except there's no good place to store it on my boat! Great boat, but strange design, as there's no sail locker. I now might be able to convert the starboard hanging locker in the forward cabin into a sail locker for the spinnaker, and hoist it straight out the hatch. We'll see.
I leave my spinnaker in the shower, the 110 on the furler and the 135 in the garage at home. The 110 is a lot easier to tack than the 135 and sailing down wind I can put up the spin.

Mar 26, 2015
Ah, yes, where to put it when it is not in use. There’s a quandary for you!
Most Hunter owners I’ve communicated with advise against any head sail larger than the 110, with the exception of spinnakers and asymmetric sails.
So, what can go ashore that currently resides in the cockpit lockers or the locker on the port side of the sugar scoop, swim step or whatever it‘s called these days. There is certainly no room inside the boat (except Mabe the shower as suggested by Darcy).
I have either too much stuff, or not enough boat!

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
V-berth. The sail is soft and cuddly. :biggrin:

Besides why do you need all that space solo sailing.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
During races, the Star lives in the v-berth for easy sets and douses through the forehatch. When cruising, it is ussually kept in the turtle bag clipped to the lifeline. When not sailing, it is in the turtle and pushed to the aft end of the quarter berth.

Mar 26, 2015
John,
Excellent point!
Actually my single hand sailing is in the Santa Monica Bay or down to the American Legion Yacht Club, in Newport, where I captain my boat for Sail for the Blind and Visually Impaired and similar events when they arise.
By dictate of my 1st Mate longer voyages require a crew (although she may not be that crew member). I subscribe to ‘Happy Wife, Happy Life”

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I subscribe to ‘Happy Wife, Happy Life”
Then she may be pleased to know that when you are in bed the only V-Berth snuggling is with the Asymmetrical!:poke:

• Ha

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I don't recall if I mentioned this before, so sorry if I did, for the redundancy.

My Tartan 3800 is unusual, among the 42 or so examples built, in that instead of the standard forward cabin seat and sink, mine has a locker to starboard, that mirrors the hanging locker to port, except it has shelves instead of a hanger pole (or whatever that's called). I was thinking, now that I will be single, of converting that starboard locker into a sail locker, by taking out the shelves. I'm pretty sure the spinnaker will fit, and could be conveniently hoisted out the forward hatch; and there might even be room for storm sails, for which I lust; I have an inner forestay, a "baby stay," which would be perfect for setting a storm jib, and I could add a track on the mast for a storm main. Then, get a top down furler for the spin and I'd be in Schaefer City! :)

(It's only money, eh?)

Mar 26, 2015
Hey Darcy,
Is “Asymmetrical” a position in the Kama Sutra?
Kidding, of course. My younger and vibrant wife would get a hoot about me cuddling sail.