Catalina 22 electric outboard

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
My current gas powered outboard is ruining my sailing. I sail on the Mississippi River and thus need an outboard motor. However, I'm only a day sailor and don't get out every weekend. My outboard motor is also pretty old. This means my outboard is constantly breaking down. I'm looking to move to an electric outboard to get rid of all of these maintenance concerns and have a very dependable new motor. I'm looking at the Navy 3.0. My only concern is it's power level. Should this be sufficient to get me in and out of dock and move up the river if the wind dies?
Navy Series Electric Outboard Motor

ETA: the Navy 3.0 is a six horsepower equivalent

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I had 4hp on a San Juan 23 and that seemed like plenty, but I never had to deal with any river current.

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
Well I got the quote from the dealer on the motor it was more than $6k. That is far more than I wanted to spend so I guess the answer to my question is a little meaningless now. Instead I'm going to look at a new outboard motor preferably propane.

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
Tohatsu makes SailPro models in both 4 stroke and propane
Thanks Leeward. I found a site with a few different models I'm going to do some price compare but now the cost is down to around $16 to $1,700 much much more affordable.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Well I got the quote from the dealer on the motor it was more than $6k. That is far more than I wanted to spend so I guess the answer to my question is a little meaningless now. Instead I'm going to look at a new outboard motor preferably propane.
Yeah, sticker shock, for sure. The write up on the Navy outboards is impressive, though. I could see new 22 footers coming from the dealer with one of them installed. That being said, I have found the little 3hp Torqeedo to be a good match for my dingy, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks Leeward. I found a site with a few different models I'm going to do some price compare but now the cost is down to around $16 to $1,700 much much more affordable.
www.Onlineoutboards.com. I've purchase 2 Tohatsus from them... prompt, free deliver. best prices. I recently bought a Tohatsu sailpro 6hp, long shaft.... A great motor. Here's a head's up. All their electric start, tiller armed motors can be converted to remote control by ordering the appropriate kit from tohatsu.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Thrust and Horsepower are two entirely separate concepts. There is no applicable conversion factor between the two. An electric outboard performs differently than a gas powered, under different conditions. An electric outboard and a gas powered outboard may perform similarly in calm waters but when running against a strong current the electric outboard will suffer a larger drop in performance than the gas powered one. When they assign a horsepower figure to an electric motor understand it does not behave the same as the horsepower you may be used to in a gas powered engine. What I mean to say is that when navigating a river capable of strong currents the gas powered outboard will be a much safer choice than an electric.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My current gas powered outboard is ruining my sailing. I sail on the Mississippi River and thus need an outboard motor. However, I'm only a day sailor and don't get out every weekend. My outboard motor is also pretty old. This means my outboard is constantly breaking down. I'm looking to move to an electric outboard to get rid of all of these maintenance concerns and have a very dependable new motor. I'm looking at the Navy 3.0. My only concern is it's power level. Should this be sufficient to get me in and out of dock and move up the river if the wind dies?
Navy Series Electric Outboard Motor

ETA: the Navy 3.0 is a six horsepower equivalent
Note you will be trading gas engine issues for battery issues. :)

Seriously, though, perhaps you should look into a new gas motor, and then only use alcohol-free gas, and perform annual maintenance?

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
Thrust and Horsepower are two entirely separate concepts. There is no applicable conversion factor between the two. An electric outboard performs differently than a gas powered, under different conditions. An electric outboard and a gas powered outboard may perform similarly in calm waters but when running against a strong current the electric outboard will suffer a larger drop in performance than the gas powered one. When they assign a horsepower figure to an electric motor understand it does not behave the same as the horsepower you may be used to in a gas powered engine. What I mean to say is that when navigating a river capable of strong currents the gas powered outboard will be a much safer choice than an electric.
Benny - Great point. Thanks for that perspective. The current can be really strong during flood season but then I won't be in the river then; too much debris. I've seen crazy stuff floating down the river during flooding.

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
Note you will be trading gas engine issues for battery issues. :)

Seriously, though, perhaps you should look into a new gas motor, and then only use alcohol-free gas, and perform annual maintenance?
Well, in my mind, battery issues are easier to deal with. However, I'm going to take a middle ground. Due to the pricing, I'm now looking at a 5 HP propane outboard. So, it won't be maintenance free but I won't have all those carb issues or gas usage/storage problems. Also, having an new outboard will be just wonderful. I'll know all the abuse that it has been put through!

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
www.Onlineoutboards.com. I've purchase 2 Tohatsus from them... prompt, free deliver. best prices. I recently bought a Tohatsu sailpro 6hp, long shaft.... A great motor. Here's a head's up. All their electric start, tiller armed motors can be converted to remote control by ordering the appropriate kit from tohatsu.
Joe - It doesn't look like Tohatsu makes a 6 HP in LPG. Is that the case? Did I miss it? Also, you stated you bought the long shaft (25 inches), was this for your Catalina 22? That is my only outstanding question for this purchase:

Should I buy the short or long shaft?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Thrust and Horsepower are two entirely separate concepts.
Thrust is a product of the prop. As torque increases, which is altered by engine torque and gear ratio, bigger props.can be used.

An electric outboard and a gas powered outboard may perform similarly in calm waters but when running against a strong current the electric outboard will suffer a larger drop in performance than the gas powered one.
How does that work ?

Electric motors can produce full torque at low rpm (and across the whole rpm range), whereas an ICE engine has a narrow power band and produces small relative torque at low rpm.

That is why diesel locomotives, heavy mining trucks, and newer ships use electric drive motors.

Also why a Telsa or similar EV car will eat ICE cars for lunch.

Given that our tohatsu SailPro is usually barely above idle with the boat already at hull speed, that Navy 3.0 electric motor would likely have more thrust in actual use conditions.

The big drawback I could see with the electric outboard is the range decrease that would occur if the motor was under full load for long periods. If you had a small battery pack that could be a problem. If you had a large enough battery for the application it would solve that issue. (So would a big diesel generator. Hehe)

Of course a gas outboard would also decrease in range in those conditions but an extra Jerry can is cheaper than a larger Lithium battery for those times it was needed.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
Of course a gas outboard would also decrease in range in those conditions but an extra Jerry can is cheaper than a larger Lithium battery for the those times it was needed.
That is another big factor. Somehow, I have acquired 5 20 Gallon LP tanks (don't get my wife started). I can keep two on the boat at all times and be just fine at home.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I can keep two on the boat at all times and be just fine at home.
The trick is where to store them.
Can't store them inside the boat.

The C22 doesn't have an LPG locker so they would need to be securely stored above deck.

A single 10 lb tank fits nicely when mounted on the aft pushpit. You would have to do some testing with a 20lb tank.

Having 2 tanks on the pushpit may be a problem. With the BBQ, solar panel, and life ring, we only have room for a single tank.

If you wanted to be a bit extreme you could cut one the cockpit seats up and make a LPG locker that vents over the side, but I would just get a gasoline motor at that point.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm now looking at a 5 HP propane outboard. So, it won't be maintenance free but I won't have all those carb issues or gas usage/storage problems.
Oh, yes you will! Carb issues! Search this forum for the nightmares some folks have had with LP/Propane outboards.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Oh, yes you will! Carb issues! Search this forum for the nightmares some folks have had with LP/Propane outboards.
Interesting... The marketing for the LPG Tohatsu specifically mentions the benefit of propane over gasoline being a lack of fuel related maintenance issues. (Likely all from ethanol)
No need to drain the carb when stored.

Thanks for the heads up. I shall.look for tohatsu LPG complaints just out of curiosity. :beer:

FWIW: Other than emissions, I see LPG as not much of an advantage for a C22.

- Internal combustion engine so still noisy
- harder to get and carry fuel compared to gasoline/petrol.

Last edited: