Traditionally made boat fenders

Jan 22, 2008
Gulf 29 Little Current, ON
I have made three of them, two of natural fiber rope, and one out of synthetic rope. But it was long enough ago that I don't remember what length I started with. What I do recall is that the center was 3 or 4 lengths of the rope, which formed the core around which the fender was created. I use them occasionally when a regular type of fender, which floats, can ride up on top of a low dock as the boat is in motion from waves. The rope fenders have the advantage that they do NOT float, so they stay in the water, rather than on the water, and are less likely to ride up and be relocated and ineffective. I've attached a picture that shows them drying on the stern of our boat.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thinking about this. By adding the noodle you have created a floating rope fender. In a reasonable size you could use it to toss to a MOB crew mate.

Made in polypropylene line the rope and fender would float.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have made three of them, two of natural fiber rope, and one out of synthetic rope. But it was long enough ago that I don't remember what length I started with. What I do recall is that the center was 3 or 4 lengths of the rope, which formed the core around which the fender was created. I use them occasionally when a regular type of fender, which floats, can ride up on top of a low dock as the boat is in motion from waves. The rope fenders have the advantage that they do NOT float, so they stay in the water, rather than on the water, and are less likely to ride up and be relocated and ineffective. I've attached a picture that shows them drying on the stern of our boat.
Those are really nice looking. I also like the wrapping you did on the ladder and pull.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thinking about this. By adding the noodle you have created a floating rope fender. In a reasonable size you could use it to toss to a MOB crew mate.

Made in polypropylene line the rope and fender would float.
You are correct that PP floats, but it is much less UV resistant and does not hold up well to abrasive forces. Your idea of an MOB float (or even a monkey's fist) is a good one so long as you stored it out of direct sunlight.