Desperately Seeking Steering; not Susan

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
Last summer, my chartplotter and depthsounder crapped out, resulting in my running aground off Sandy Hook and bending my rudder post. I need a new rudder as straightening of a bent and weakened rudder post is not advised. Catalina Yachts has supply chain problems and is unable to provide a new one in time for next season. I have arranged for Ruddercraft in Garden City Idaho to make a new one. They have previously made ones for that model. Anyone know the length of the rudder post? The old one has gone MIA since the accident and haulout

Attachments

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Would I be correct in saying that your rudder extends down deeper than your keel?

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
Would I be correct in saying that your rudder extends down deeper than your keel?
I think there might be missunderstanding here. I was referring to the stainless steel rudder post that goes through a tunnel in the transom and not the blade and not the blade. BTW, the rudder does not extend deeper than the keel

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think there might be missunderstanding here. I was referring to the stainless steel rudder post that goes through a tunnel in the transom and not the blade and not the blade. BTW, the rudder does not extend deeper than the keel
Maybe I am misunderstanding…the rudder post extends from the “tunnel” as you describe it, and is integral to the rudder itself…

1641854902720.jpeg

Greg