Traditionally made boat fenders

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey all

I ran across this very interesting youtube showing how to make a rope boat fender.

Has anyone here ever made one? If so do you have pics to share. It looks like a fun winter project while sitting in front of the tube. I can imagine using synthetic fiber line to make custom colored and more durable fenders.

Warning: You may want to turn your sound off. It is kind of cute at first but after a while it gets old.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice.
It looks like you could make a lighter version by weaving that wall knot over a 2 liter soda bottle.

Nice look and satisfying do it yourself project.

I love the lignum vitae marlin spike too.

-Will

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Nice.
It looks like you could make a lighter version by weaving that wall knot over a 2 liter soda bottle.

Nice look and satisfying do it yourself project.

I love the lignum vitae marlin spike too.

-Will
That would not last, but using a hose for the core is also traditional.

Jan 19, 2010
So there are a lot of choices in color to choose from. I think a black fender would hold up to UV the longest and show dirt the least... and if you were making them to tie to the slip and wanted maximum visibility, orange might be nice...

1641661171529.png
1641661231173.png

Or if you are dressing your boat up for the Christmas parade

1641661346307.png

:beer:

I can imagine getting really caried away with this....:biggrin:

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
What about using a piece of a swim noodle as the core? You could run the main line up the middle. It would also add some floatation. I think I need to head to lowes and buy some line this afternoon :cool:

I made a couple a few years ago with noodle cores. I used an old 1/2” double braid sheet for the wrap. Not too difficult, but I didn’t get the rope work tight enough, so by the end of the season, the rope looked loose and a little droopy. I think manila or synthetic manila, nice and tight, would have given a better result. Sorry I don’t have pictures.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like a fun project. Thanks

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Watch it again. It flashes on the screen near the start. Four meters
Metric? Just when I was interested. Now I’ll need a metric tape measure, metric fid, metric knife, metric tape. Why is it never easy?

Is that how to make those fuzzy creatures on the stays to minimize chafing on the sails?

I went for a better look, 10 inches overall is fairly small. Is this fender more for display?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Metric? Just when I was interested. Now I’ll need a metric tape measure, metric fid, metric knife, metric tape. Why is it never easy?

Is that how to make those fuzzy creatures on the stays to minimize chafing on the sails?

I went for a better look, 10 inches overall is fairly small. Is this fender more for display?
I don't think it will be hard to scale up. I just went to Home Despot and got some 3/4" nylon twist and some small stuff for siezing. I also picked up a plastic stake to use as a marlin spike. I also got my swim noogles out of the storage locker and plan to cut them to about 2'.

1641689806914.png

I don't know if I will get to it tonight but when I do, I'll take measurements and post the results here.

Oct 2, 2008
I don't think it will be hard to scale up. I just went to Home Despot and got some 3/4" nylon twist and some small stuff for siezing. I also picked up a plastic stake to use as a marlin spike. I also got my swim noogles out of the storage locker and plan to cut them to about 2'.

View attachment 201598

I don't know if I will get to it tonight but when I do, I'll take measurements and post the results here.
Can’t find any noodles here in Florida, damn hoarders. Interesting use of a tent stake for a fid. I’ve been tossing the stakes from my solar garden lights, now I have a use for them.

Oct 2, 2008
Years ago I filled an old fender with noodles and had used it for certain docks. It seemed to compress during high winds a bit more than I thought I liked, but the flat side helped hold it in place. I still keep it for pilings that are a bit rough. I’ve also added another noodle inside for more rigidity.

B694A42E-A537-44C9-86A2-556B5093275E.jpeg

Jan 19, 2010
I wonder if the fact that the main line will be coming up through the hole in the noodle, that it will help prevent it from compressing?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Waltz's are great when you're dancing.
Otherwise they are a bit like lullabies...