Boat Fenders

Oct 23, 2011
Catalina Capri 26 Lake Norman
Hi, New to the forum. I have a Catalina Capri 26 and a fender question. The C26 has a beam of 9.8 feet and weighs 5,250 lb. The online advice says a 20-25 foot boat should use at least a 6" fender. A 25-35 foot boat should use 8". I bought Taylor Made 8.5 x 26" fenders and they are huge. I'm not sure where to stow them on the boat, probably below because they won't fit in the cockpit locker. Should I return them for the 6.5 x 22" fenders? Any advice appreciated. Btw, I'm on a lake with lots of Wakeski boats. Thanks, Mark

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Because the boat is subjected to a lot of wake and bouncing the larger fenders will provide more protection. The one downside may be their length, how much distance is there between the rail and the waterline? You'll want more than 26 inches.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Welcome to the forum! I used the smaller fenders on my 23' O"Day, and, on my current 31 footer I use both sizes. I carry the smaller ones on board for when I am anchored out, and a smaller boat will be tied up alongside. The larger ones I store at the dock and use when my boat is in her berth.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Different model boat here, but this is how I stow our fenders. Keeps the deck clear, easy access and takes up no storage room. Taylor made for your Taylor made fenders.

Fender Baskets4.JPG

Fender Baskets.JPG

Wrote an article about it here: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My old standard poodle was bored one day when he discovered my brand new fender in the cockpit. He chewed a hole in that fender in about five seconds. Had a mouth like an alligator.
B373497F-196C-4EFA-BF75-F43C938CBF4F_1_201_a.jpeg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Another way to stow your fenders is to tie them to the stern rail.........which is what I do for 2 extra fenders I want readily available at a guest dock AND do not want to walk up the side decks to un-tie the fenders laying on the deck.
1640010221482.png

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When heading out to sail, I clear the decks for action, and stow the fenders in the lazaret.

Fenders are available by the flip of a seat, yet not a trip hazard when walking on the deck.

Like all good captains I enjoy walking the deck and avoiding the Plank.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I leave mine tied up. I bring them in from below the lower lifeline and flip them outside over the upper lifeline. They are available for quick release.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Amusing that, as sailors, we are so concerned about stowing fenders, yet a lot of powerboaters do not seem concerned in the least. It is not uncommon to see a powerboat in our area motoring up the channel with fenders hanging, some dragging in the water. As the Admiral says, they are just plain tacky.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
As the Admiral says, they are just plain tacky.
Yup. Tacky. Kinda like boaters that can't tie a cleat hitch properly and just put on a lot of turns.

I learned to sail out of King Harbor. We called fenders "Del Rey Burgees." I now realize that was being a bit mean to those that berth in MDR but understand to stow the fenders...

A different solution: My fenders are quite large and a pain to stow. So I almost always stow mine on the dock/slip. We come back to the same slip on daysails. I've seen folks in my marina that have them mounted in the slip so they're always there.

If I'm going to the fuel dock they just get lifted over the lifelines and redeployed at the fuel dock.

On trips they get tied to the stern rail where they provide some extra support for the dinghy that's hanging from davits.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, tacky, tacky, tacky. After leaving the dock the foredeck crew, removes dock lines and coils them and as she walks back to the cockpit removes the fenders. They get stored in shower.

Since we have been cruising, anchor out most nights, no need for fenders. We have inflatable fenders. The inflate and deflate easily and take up very little space when deflated. Deflated four take up about the same space as one inflated.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
At some point in the past 15 years, I started calling fenders left on the side of a boat "Tick Tacs" ... I"m guessing I picked that up here on this forum but I'm not sure.

One day I was out sailing with the kids and a ski boat flew past and one of my kids said..

"uhg! they are flying their tic tacks"

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
Amusing that, as sailors, we are so concerned about stowing fenders, yet a lot of powerboaters do not seem concerned in the least.
I always thought that was due to 1( a large number of power boaters are of the "turn the key and go" mindset. 2( Most don't have a need to walk forward on the deck so don't think about it.

Sailboat decks have many more obstacles and tripping hazards. Sailors frequently go forward, sometimes on decks that are heeling at 10- 20 degrees, so they want to ensure good footing.

My fenders go in the lazz or down in the cabin.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You're NOT gonna put those giant bird cages on a 26 foot sailboat..... I forbid it!!!!!:banghead:

Also..... it is not cool to sail your boat with the fenders flopping around so the big ones need to be detached and stored someplace... but... the smaller, 6" fenders, will lay on the deck, out of the way, quite nicely. Set things up so that the boat's hull doesn't protrude between the forward and aft fender. Larger size allows the pair to be placed farther apart, the smaller size requires them to be closer together...

I'm on a floating, single space dock with fingers on each side... so I don't leave the fenders down once I'm tied up. My lines are able to keep the boat from touching the dock. The fenders will mar the hull's finish as they move about so some folks like the canvas covers.