Are you ready for a Virtual Yacht

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
With Facebook disappearing (now Meta) and virtual land sales reaching a new peak Republic Realm (a firm that develops real estate in the metaverse) said it paid $4.3 million for land in the world Sandbox, are you ready for a Virtual Yacht?

What would you have built?
Would you pay virtual moorage fees at the imaginary marina?
What would you do if the world fell out of favor with the avatars and the water dried up?

I’m not ready for a matrix world. But some believe they are.
“This is like buying land in Manhattan 250 years ago as the city is being built,” said Andrew Kiguel, chief executive of Tokens.com. (Quote from the WSJ)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I am all for it, if it makes the majority of people stay indoors, leaving the real world outside, to me and my friends.

I figure it is BS and won't happen soon.
The articles I have read online, almost all posit that Facebook is just trying to rebrand and the whole VR idea is a boondoggle.
It is common knowledge that Facebook is considered an old people service.. youth are not interested. This meta change is just a way to draw attention away from Facebook's problem, and try to look attractive to younger people.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Wake up fellows...

Pilots train on them all the time.
As do Ship Captains...

Sometimes called Simulators...

Thanks Goodness Neil Armstrong was well trained on one, for the first moon landing...

Jim...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Wake up fellows...

Pilots train on them all the time.
As do Ship Captains...

Sometimes called Simulators...

Thanks Goodness Neil Armstrong was well trained on one, for the first moon landing...

Jim...
Training on a very expensive purpose built unit that has physical controls, so that you can do the task in the real world is much different than wearing a headset in a VR "world"

Try wearing an occulus headset for a while. Most users have problems doing it for more than a very short time.

The big VR breakthrough is always "just around the corner".. and it has yet to arrive. 50M is a drop in the bucket. It would take billions and a couple decades before it became a reality.

Then you consider the actual enjoyment of VR vs real life.

I don't doubt some nerd with no life will enjoy sitting in his basement connected to a machine with attachments to his appendages and the smell-o-vision olfactory system.:facepalm:

The rest of us will prefer real life interactions. This pandemic has shown how much people need that.

At the club AGM a big topic was how members miss the level of integration and the events we had pre pandemic.
Sure we can go sailing, but even those of us who like solitude apparently really miss each other.

At best VR iwill be a marketing tool for products so you can view a shirt, couch, or yacht in a store before you buy the actual physical item.

In the meantime investment speculators will have a financial field day, and possibly buy real yachts.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
For those of you that have experienced VR headsets ... I understand that motion sickness is an issue for the same reason it is on boats or airplanes, the conflicting inputs from visual and ear-canal data. Do you notice that people who do not get seasick have a better time with VR headsets than those prone to motion sickness?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
For those of you that have experienced VR headsets ... I understand that motion sickness is an issue for the same reason it is on boats or airplanes, the conflicting inputs from visual and ear-canal data. Do you notice that people who do not get seasick have a better time with VR headsets than those prone to motion sickness?
I have the type of headset that you put your phone into as a screen. The phone goes into a mode where it splits the screen into a picture for each eye, and the headset has lenses to focus the picture.

I can watch for as long as I want and not be uncomfortable. I also have never been seasick, so at least for me it’s consistent. Some things are fun for a little while, like a virtual fly-along with the Blue Angels. Some things are just annoying, like why would I want to turn my head and body around to see a 360 view from a boat’s deck when I could just pan around by hand instead.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
like why would I want to turn my head and body around to see a 360 view from a boat’s deck when I could just pan around by hand instead.
To prevent atrophy of your neck muscles? I guess you could also say, Why move my hand when the system could just see my eye movement to react?

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I do not get mildly seasick when I have been sleeping on the boat for a week or when I am in control of the motion and had erroneously concluded I had aged out of motion sickness. I'm thinking now that I may be able to pre condition myself against motion sickness by using a VR headset at least as long as the motion is mild vertically as I've not been carsick since preteen.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I paid for nonexistent Full Self Driving in my Tesla, so (grimace) I suppose I'm a candidate for buying a nonexistent sailboat. At least the weather's always good in my computer room.