Pulling dead diesel from Cal 2-27

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
When exactly did small sailboats get reliable auxiliary power anyway? 1950's? Before then if you wanted to sail, you sailed everywhere, or broke out the oars and worked for it. There are plenty of folks sailing today who don't have internal combustion, this guy for instance:

Nice videos, and a sweet ship.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
To make it easier to lift the engine out with out all sorts of difficulty, rent a man lift. Most Home Depots have them. 35 footer should do but a 50 footer would guarantee reach. These lifts have " rated " capacities of 1000lbs. Two options from here. Straight lift or come along from the basket and then lift. $150 of the best spent money.....

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
When exactly did small sailboats get reliable auxiliary power anyway? 1950's? Before then if you wanted to sail, you sailed everywhere, or broke out the oars and worked for it. There are plenty of folks sailing today who don't have internal combustion, this guy for instance:
Yes, you can do without an engine. People lived for centuries without indoor plumbing. I like my engine. There are many good things today that we cannot live without. Central heating, indoor plumbing, electricity, automobiles, internet, cell phones, to name a few. Some are ready to abandon all, but I wonder if they have really thought about it.

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
We lost the shear pin on our prop coming down the inlet towards the marina one afternoon, managed to raise the main again and get to a finger, then pushed and pulled to our slip. Wind was favorable, otherwise could have been a bad adventure. I'm an engine fan, too, but I'm thinking my cell phone and the internet maybe aren't so good in the long run. But an indoor toilet in January is pretty sweet...