Raritan PH powerflush retrofit

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
My supply of parts for the Wilcox Crittenden headmate on 2003 hull #218 are exhausted so I decided to install a PH powerflush head. Has anyone done this on a 310? According to the manual I need a #6 wire based on the approx. 25' (one way) run from the breaker panel down to the aft berth, up through the rigging tube and across to the head. Wondering about the best way to step down from a #6 wire to the approx 16 AWG 12" pigtail wire on the head motor and connect #6 to the 20 amp breaker? My plan is to route the outlet from the reefer/shower sump wye valve to the existing head intake, and move the head intake to a tee in the sink drain per Peggie's book. If you have teed into the sink drain and have some photo to share I would be interested. Thanks

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
First, wire size is always based on the ROUND TRIP distance from the power source.

Second, if you want the "push button convenience" of an electric toilet, IMO you'll be a lot happier with a Raritan SeaEra macerating electric toilet Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet than with a toilet--even one with the top rated manual pump--to which a motor (a very expensive motor!) has been added that only replaces the pump HANDLE...a motor the pumps the toilet a lot faster and with a much shorter stroke than pumping manually, causing it to "choke" on flushes that slower more deliberate manual pumping can easily push through. The SeaEra is even available as a "conversion" that'll allow you to re-use your existing bowl, seat and lid (not shown on the Raritan site, showing it on a retailer's site) Boatersland Raritan Sea Era Conversion I'm including a link the owners manual to give you all the wiring specs. And I can put you in touch with a certified marine electrician who'll help you make sure you get the wiring right the first time. I'll be glad to help your get the plumbing right the first time.

If your rationale for choosing the PowerFlush is its ability to be converted to manual in the event of a catastrophic power failure, if you don't even have enough power to flush a toilet, you have whole bunch of much more important problems, starting with no lights, no communication, no navigation, no steering...but you still have a bucket and a long line...you can carry a toilet seat to put on the bucket!

--Peggie

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm a little confused. I thought a power flush would be hooked up to the fresh water supply, and not to the drain of the sink. I installed the PH manual pump onto the WC head, and hooked it up to the sink drain. I also installed a shutoff valve above the tee on the drain. This way, I can use either salt or fresh water to flush. The original salt water feed is capped off. Also, the outlet of the reefer/shower y valve already runs to the head intake.
I'm also not sure why you need #6 wire to the head motor. The 16 AWG on the motor itself shows that the motor will be using something less than 10 amps.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I thought a power flush would be hooked up to the fresh water supply, and not to the drain of the sink. I installed the PH manual pump onto the WC head, and hooked it up to the sink drain
Nope...the PowerFlush is a PHSuperFlush (sea water manual toilet) with a motor hung onto it that replaces the pump handle Raritan PH SuperFlush You've confused it with the Raritan Fresh Head FRESH_HEAD Promo Sheet which is the only manual toilet designed to use pressurized fresh water.

--Peggie

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My supply of parts for the Wilcox Crittenden headmate on 2003 hull #218 are exhausted so I decided to install a PH powerflush head. Has anyone done this on a 310? According to the manual I need a #6 wire based on the approx. 25' (one way) run from the breaker panel down to the aft berth, up through the rigging tube and across to the head. Wondering about the best way to step down from a #6 wire to the approx 16 AWG 12" pigtail wire on the head motor and connect #6 to the 20 amp breaker? My plan is to route the outlet from the reefer/shower sump wye valve to the existing head intake, and move the head intake to a tee in the sink drain per Peggie's book. If you have teed into the sink drain and have some photo to share I would be interested. Thanks
This is the tee and the valve I installed on the sink drain. 1A9B7D6C-269C-4893-8DAA-ACF306368A08.jpeg