Fuel Filter/separator selection

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I went to purchase a new fuel filter/separator and noticed there was two different types available for nearly the same price - The all metal one that looks like an oil filter and ones with a separate chamber that can be emptied. What are the pros and cons of each one?
1635358900300.png
View attachment 199574

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
No clue that that is or if it’s reliable. Check out the Racor series of filters/water separators which should be preferable

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I went to purchase a new fuel filter/separator and noticed there was two different types available for nearly the same price - The all metal one that looks like an oil filter and ones with a separate chamber that can be emptied. What are the pros and cons of each one?
View attachment 199571 View attachment 199574
It appears that what you may be comparing is the difference between a filter and a filter with a water separator section. Without a picture of "the other one" we can only guess.
With your 25 foot boat, what engine are you using? For an O'Day 25, would it most likely not be an outboard engine? If so, be aware of the difference between gas and diesel filters and water separators.

PS I wrote this before you posted your second picture.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm seeing fuel filter and separator combos in two different styles - one that can be drained and one that looks like an oil filter. Both products claim to do the same thing

@Stu Jackson My 25 has a saildrive but it breaks a lot. My primary motor is an Evinrude 9.9 that runs off of the inboard tank

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Both products claim to do the same thing
So, what I suggest you do is look at the Parker Filter website which most likely will explain the differences between their two products. Other sources could be as simple as Google once you get the correct terminology to do a useful search. Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps it is too obvious.
The solid metal fuel filter is a tool that captures dirt debris and water. The water being heavier than diesel will accumulate at the bottom of the container. Water not being satisfied with just sitting there while you drive your boat, will gnaw at the metal til it wears a hole in the bottom and runs free along with the diesel buddies nearby.

The clear bottom container with a valve lets you see the devious water that made its way into your fuel tank. Trapped in plastic at the bottom of the container. You, with opposing digits, can grasp the little knob on the bottom. Turn the wanker and release the water but keep the diesel in the filter. Thus enslaving the diesel and putting it to work.

At least that is what I was told about that

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Nice to be able to look at what is in there with the plastic bottom. Not supposed to use plastic bottom model in the engine compartment, but most are there anyway. If I were you I would buy the Racor plastic bottom model with a 2 micron filter.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
If I were you I would buy the Racor plastic bottom model with a 2 micron filter.
30 micron (98%@30 micron) – Ideally suited as a pre-filter to protect downstream filters from excessive contamination. Extends the life of on engine filters.

10 micron (98%@10 micron) - Captures more contaminants than 30 micron elements, and more effective at stopping water. Extends the life of the entire fuel system. Most popular choice.

“2” micron (98%@4 microns) – Maximum water removal and filtration, capable of protecting all modern injection systems while greatly extending the life of difficult-to-service on-engine filters.

Any water has been removed before final fuel filtration.

However you must size your fuel filter by your engine fuel pump flow and system pressure drop, which includes the diesel return line.
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
with a 2 micron filter.
As a primary filter (cleaning out the junk in the tank to engine fuel) it is likely that a 2 micron filter will be clogged before he has 50 hours on the filter. Then he either starve the engine of fuel or the bypass kicks in and no filtering at all :yikes:.

Check your engine manual. I am inclined to look at the 10 micron or in my case the 30 micron filter.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The newest Racor Filter is the 500FG10.

Racor Diesel Fuel

I suggest a Vacuum Gauge mounted on the Filter top. It will keep you informed of the Back Pressure and fuel pump performance when your warm engine is running.

Jim...

PS: FG-10 Micron.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The solid metal fuel filter is a tool that captures dirt debris and water. The water being heavier than diesel will accumulate at the bottom of the container. Water not being satisfied with just sitting there while you drive your boat, will gnaw at the metal til it wears a hole in the bottom and runs free along with the diesel buddies nearby.

The clear bottom container with a valve lets you see the devious water that made its way into your fuel tank. Trapped in plastic at the bottom of the container. You, with opposing digits, can grasp the little knob on the bottom. Turn the wanker and release the water but keep the diesel in the filter. Thus enslaving the diesel and putting it to work.
Good answer to Mayhem's question.