Loose stanchions - is there a simple solution?

Bogart

Mar 13, 2018
Hunter 45CC Queensland
On my 2007 Hunter 45CC the stanchions are attached to the bases by a bolt/nut fitting which passes right through the stanchion, and then a machine screw about 1" above that which just screws into the shaft of the base. Whether through age or design (I don't know), the hole for the upper screw is larger than the screw itself, which means that the stanchions wobble a bit. This can be a bit disconcerting in the dark on a heaving deck when one grabs the lifeline for security and finds that the lifeline moves. Has anyone encountered this problem and has anyone solved the issue and achieved solid stanchions? Cheers

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So if I understand your question the bases aren't loose on the deck. It is the set screw from the base into the shank of the stanchion? In that case you can drill and tap for a new, larger, set screw.
Stanchions and life lines are rarely rock solid. Maybe they should be but I always anticipate some give.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
On my 2007 Hunter 45CC the stanchions are attached to the bases by a bolt/nut fitting which passes right through the stanchion, and then a machine screw about 1" above that which just screws into the shaft of the base. Whether through age or design (I don't know), the hole for the upper screw is larger than the screw itself, which means that the stanchions wobble a bit. This can be a bit disconcerting in the dark on a heaving deck when one grabs the lifeline for security and finds that the lifeline moves. Has anyone encountered this problem and has anyone solved the issue and achieved solid stanchions? Cheers
If you’re looking for solid, install SS rails.