Containers lost and now a fire

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Wonder what was in the 10 containers that caught fire and could the fire have been prevented by eliminating those reactive items? I hope the 40 containers that went overboard can be retrieved before they become partially submerged floating barriers for a boat to hit. 35 were reported as floating so where are the remaining 5 containers..........sunk?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Possible water reactive materials. Peroxides or corrosives would be my first bet

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Darn.

A High Wind Watch is in effect through Sunday morning for the north and central Washington coast and much of the Northwest Interior with winds up to 40 miles per hour and gusts up to 60 mph possible,
And I’m not on the boat. Missing these Canada winds and the floating flotsam. Maybe the Navy’s could run a live fire practice session On the containers. 42 miles off shore. That is some deep water. 60 to 285 fathoms depending on location.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
This is absolutely hilarious! "A High Wind Watch is in effect" "A high wind event" (85 knots sustained or more). Why not call it what it really is? An extra-tropical cyclone. Do they think that the Canadians and Americans in harm's way will freak out and panic if someone tells them there is a hurricane coming? Hmmm...
And what about the Zim Kingston herself? A fire that the crew has been advised not to fight with water? It's not an oil fire, so what would it be? On an Israeli vessel? Many more questions than answers, I think.
Someone please tell me what the Canadian & Americans are thinking? I'd have hooked her up to a tug and would have been many more miles offshore by now, and towing at max speed to get as far offshore as possible, before "possibly the most powerful storm, in recorded history") slams into the coast and tosses this ship on the bricks like a rubber ducky.
Are we going to see another ecological disaster?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Check that. It is the ship/containers on fire not the containers in the water.
It was still something called 'spontaneous combustibles' which began burning onboard.

From the King5 story;
According to officials, at least two of the containers that caught fire contain hazardous materials identified as potassium amylxanthate.
Because of the chemicals in the containers, first responders were unable to apply water directly to the flames.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Wasn’t able to find anything that said it was water reactive with a quick search. It must be reacting with another material.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On the other hand... Maybe the weather will get better. There will be fluffy clouds.
A breeze to sail...
Who knows.. It could happen.:waycool:

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
It was still something called 'spontaneous combustibles' which began burning onboard.

From the King5 story;
According to officials, at least two of the containers that caught fire contain hazardous materials identified as potassium amylxanthate.
Because of the chemicals in the containers, first responders were unable to apply water directly to the flames.
The chemical is potassium amyl xanthate. This chemical is used in flotation process for separating minerals. Pretty benign stuff as industrial chemicals go. It is quite biodegradable and is soluble in water. In fact water is a well known and completely approved fire suppression substance in fires involving this substance. See the Canadian Material Safety Data Sheet - rptNewMSDS (reviewboard.ca).

Unless the cargo in the few containers involved is not potassium amyl xanthate? If so - that explains why water does not go directly onto the flames. Either way I fear something is missing in the reports so far.

Make no mistake a fire on a boat/ship is the worst - excepting only an airplane - (I have seen/suffered both.)
This will work out probably.

Charles

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Nothing coming from the Government, any Government, should be believed. Politicians have perfected lying and lying is their first response to any crisis. Then there is the media...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Why not call it what it really is? An extra-tropical cyclone.
It is called a "Bomb Cyclone"
No Joke...

What is bombogenesis?

First the Saints football team endures Hurricane Ida and on Monday Night football has to Play the Seahawks in a

Bomb Cyclone :banghead:

Jim...

PS: It is called a Cyclone, if formed in the West or North Pacific.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Wonder what was in the 10 containers that caught fire and could the fire have been prevented by eliminating those reactive items? I hope the 40 containers that went overboard can be retrieved before they become partially submerged floating barriers for a boat to hit. 35 were reported as floating so where are the remaining 5 containers..........sunk?
I live in southeastern VA and the outer banks of NC are just south of us.

Those containers do occasionally float up on the beach. When they do it becomes finders keepers and they are emptied in a timely manner.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Getting back on topic.

Screen shots;

From @USCGPacificNW
7AC96DCB-9AA1-49FC-86C0-038C0BFFACFE.png

and from @CoastGuardCAN, showing the location of the lost containers

D205B509-5E61-469D-82CF-3BE2937E8DE5.png

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC