VPNs and SBO

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Because I am traveling I use a VPN when connected to the internet. A problem arises with SBO in that I can not connect to SBO when using the VPN. The browser attempts to connect and then times out. This is rather annoying and it happens with both a wifi connection and a hotspot connection from my phone. Other websites work fine, it is just SBO that causes issues.

Any suggestions besides turning off the VPN?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perhaps it is the VPN or the server the VPN is using.

I use Nord-VPN. Generally no issues when logged on to a USA server. They have servers all over the world. I’ve used Canadian and Mexican servers with out an issue.

As always keep the VPN current, try rebooting your OS. Then load the VPN, Browser and SBO. Limit the number of activities on the system. Multitasking can screw things up.

I’m writing this on iPhone, using a USA Nord server. Nord is operating under NordLynx protocol. There are several protocols available.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Does your VPN provider put you in some other country? That could hit some kind of blocking rule. Also can you tell the IP address that your VPN puts you as coming from? If you go to Google (or DuckDuckGo) and search “what’s my IP” it should tell you where you appear to be coming from. It may be possible that IP is on some blocked list for some reason.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Also, sometimes it is not the VPN that is causing this, it is your firewall. The VPN software is using an encryption algorithm to make the connection secure. Could be causing issues with your firewall. Also the VPN software might be using their own firewall. I too use a VPN on and off depending on what I am doing. My VPN is Private Internet Access and I have no issues getting into SBO.

If you continue to have issues, let either Phil or I know what your VPN IP address is and we can check to see if it is being blocked. But also check your firewall to see if it is blocking your connection. If you have to, whitelist SBO and see if that helps.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
DuckDuckGo
Will indicate a secured connection.

SBO is one of those sites that provides it. Thus the rejection on a VPN, if not "white listed" or "approved as Trusted".

One other suggestion, on you web browser, is to Clean Cookies often.

My Apple browser, "Safari", warns me, if the connection is not secure.

Jim...

PS: Dont eat so much Fast Foods and use their free Wifi:biggrin:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
What Brian said. We block certain networks that attack us and come from countries with more hackers than sailors. Next time you're on the VPN get your IP address (you can now get it from Google by entering "my IP address") then send it to me. We'll open it up unless it's based in Russia. :pimp:

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I am using Nord VPN (paused for the moment). The IP addresses that get blocked are US IP addresses. I was using Norton VPN, but gave up, it was inconsistent and unreliable, sometimes it would be available and sometimes not. I could access SBO with Norton sometimes and sometimes not. One of the reasons I ditched them.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
A lot of VPN IP Address get blocked. Even sometimes my PIA IP addresses get blocked (not here though). Even though it says US it could very well be out of the US that the server is located. Happens to me a lot. I can tell when something is wrong by my google email being blocked. The IP Address shows Los Angeles but it is in Croatia. Go figure.

• Ha

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
We will block US data centers. Theoretically, no one is using residential internet service through Go Daddy, so we block Go Daddy, parts of AWS, Blue Host, and other places hackers like to hang out. Chances aren't bad that Nord uses AWS. I'll see what I can find out but you may have better luck asking them for their network IP range.

Thanks, Dave. the good news is, once we get this nailed down we probably won't have to mess with it again.

Jan 11, 2014
We will block US data centers. Theoretically, no one is using residential internet service through Go Daddy, so we block Go Daddy, parts of AWS, Blue Host, and other places hackers like to hang out. Chances aren't bad that Nord uses AWS. I'll see what I can find out but you may have better luck asking them for their network IP range.

Thanks, Dave. the good news is, once we get this nailed down we probably won't have to mess with it again.
Phil, I'll try to track down the IP range, however, John is using the same company without issue.

Since switching to NordVPN I have been using different methods of connecting, most frequently using an iPhone on ATT as a hot spot. Might that be a contributing factor?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That shouldn't matter, we don't block any of the primary consumer internet services -- not intentionally, anyway. If you can grab an dIP address and PM it to me I can get at least part (maybe all) of the range and see if it's blocked. The time-out you're describing is the behavior of a connection blocked at the firewall.

Jan 11, 2014
Will do.

When I was running our YC's website I was blocking IP addresses that attempted to login to the Admin area. Ended up blocking a member's IP. He denies he ever did anything nefarious. I don' t believe him.

Jan 11, 2014
An d now all of a sudden everything is wonderful. The VPN isn't blocking me.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Ecellent! Different IP, I'll bet. Here's my guess: we have part of Nord's range blocked via AWS.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave,
Nord is updating their app about every 2 weeks. I have found that it is sometimes better not to immediately update as their programers have suffered from fumblefingeritis. A PIA. That said, they have ben the best service for me to date. All of my usage has been on the West Coast and I most frequently use the "Quickest Server" access for the US. If something slows down my access, I just open the app and look for a new server to VPN through. Maybe happens 1-2 times a week.

The choice of servers appears to be one of 3-4 US servers in the region. This would be difficult for Phil to set a fixed address for access.

For while I was having difficulty accessing MorgansCloud.com. I switched to a Canadian server and the problem went away.

Accessing from Croatia like @Brian D just seems to raise red flags in my mind...