Hornets

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hiii all,

We had our boat launched last week and needed some masthead work done. As we set up for climbing the mast we noticed a large amount of hornets swarming the masthead. We soaked a rag with hornet spray and pulled it to the top only to see them flying around every spreader and the very top. I then tied a garden hose to the flag halyard and we pulled it to the top. I was able to spray water into the masthead by the sheaves by slowly raising and lowering the hose. We’ll see tomorrow if I have any luck.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Ouch!! Some tips proposed in this thread on the same subject Wasp in Mast/Sail | SailNet Community. One option in post #2 is to "take the boat out sailing. Wasps are not really into sailing."
:)

More to the point, they fly away from the nest and then cannot find it again, since it moved. Yes, it works, since there is no queen that stays in the nest. Go somewhere on the other side of the bay, stay over night, come back.

Oct 2, 2008
We certainly had less today, the rigger went up early and sprayed as best as he could. We still had a few this afternoon so I pulled the hose up to the masthead and was able to spray water inside. I could hear the water running in the mast and we ran the bilge pump afterwards. Tomorrow I’ll do it again.

Oct 2, 2008
This morning the rigger went up the mast to adjust the antenna and said all the hornets were gone.

57B96704-76A7-4366-B82B-940886266ACF.jpeg

Here’s how I had the garden hose attached to spray into the masthead. There wasn’t a lot of control other than twisting the hose from below and adjusting the water flow. Whatever nest we sprayed is probably slopped to the bottom of our keel-stepped mast.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
is probably slopped to the bottom of our keel-stepped mast.
Oh great. Now it will incubate and birth those little buggers at the base of your keel as the survivors dry out from the shower.

They will rise and be stronger for the ordeal. Let’s hope there not relation the Killer Hornets in the news.

Darwin talked about Survival of the Fittest.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Save one hornet and put in resin for Jurassic Parks of the future. Makes a fine necklace too.
il_fullxfull.2424073278_8zga.jpg
Jim...

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA