Please, when can I come back?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Stuck in between a stormy October weekend and a pandemic whole house remodel project… when can I come back to where I love to be? Quoting here, “Just awesome”.

0DA75B6B-5EE7-457D-9FE9-B40C5E169F37.jpeg

1DF986F9-B19E-4E06-A888-87A4BE73DCDF.jpeg

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Absolutely worth a trip! We bought this cruising guide two years ago, when we were planning to spend more time in Canada. I’m just now going though it, and I love how it’s written, each location has its own little illustration many with a little comment or a picture story. It makes me want to visit all of them. :)

How crowded does Todd Inlet get? If it’s crowded, do have a strategy for waiting for a spot to open up later on?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
How crowded does Todd Inlet get? If it’s crowded, do have a strategy for waiting for a spot to open up later on?
How many marbles does it take to fill a jar? Tod Inlet in Gowlland Tod Marine Park will likely be busy to very busy during the summer months. We anchored there for 3 nights several weeks ago and there were 10 boats there one night and 2 another. I would consider 20 boats to be quite busy. Unfortunately there are not many protected anchorages within 10 NM of Tod Inlet. There are a number of marinas. Stern tying is always an option in the narrow channel leading into the inlet although rarely seen.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Other than the wild wind that seemed to blow on my bow as I turned every corner winding through the Gulf Islands, or the storm that came up to try and stop my passage across Swanson Channel between Salt Springs and Moresby, my adventure into Canada was excellent. I would have liked to visit Maple Bay and the SBO sailors there, but their forecast of 70km breezes kind of set me back as a "Bay too Far" for this trip.

Crossing the border, once you get your COVID free PRC test results, was quite easy. I pulled into Van Isle Marina. Submitted the ArriveCAN app information the night before arrival and had the receipt number in hand. Called the CBSA office. 5 minutes wait to talk to a CBSA Officer, 10 minutes of questions and answers (not much different than 3 years ago), then "Welcome to Canada" please copy down and display the registration number for your visit.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Other than the wild wind that seemed to blow on my bow as I turned every corner winding through the Gulf Islands, or the storm that came up to try and stop my passage across Swanson Channel between Salt Springs and Moresby, my adventure into Canada was excellent. I would have liked to visit Maple Bay and the SBO sailors there, but their forecast of 70km breezes kind of set me back as a "Bay too Far" for this trip.
Ah, fellow skippers, the "little link" part that our Intrepid Reporter has somewhat glossed over is that those very same 70 km breezes that could have propelled him towards Maple Bay downwind were the very same ones on his nose for his trip back from Ganges to the San Juans. Same day, same forecast, same sources. The one that was predicted a day in advance.
The next day, of course, was delightfully benign.
We're disappointed John couldn't join us for a late autumnal barbecue on the docks in dead calm conditions but he figured it'd be easier plowing into headwinds than having to deal with us! :)

So that was the only requirement; a COVID free PRC test?
And the app.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
COVID free PRC test?
Arrive in Canada within 72 hours of test. The “ArriveCAN” app completed. The AriveCAN app requires you to provide images of your vaccination card showing full course of shots. ie. 2 Pfizer or Moderna shots. The want you to identify a quarantine plan. I said on the boat in Sidney marina. There are a series of questions to help you provide a plan. I just guessed the logical answers all the while knowing if I got covid, I would isolate on the boat and work my way back to Everett.

Who could have known that the next day would be benign. The VHF was chatting away in French and then English saying small craft warnings for 2days, 70km gale force winds etc…

Having to be in Seattle to pick up my brother-in-law on Friday, I chose to miss the party (my birthday) and find safe harbor. Knowing I can safely cross the border, I will be planning another run north.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Who could have known that the next day would be benign. The VHF was chatting away in French and then English saying small craft warnings for 2days, 70km gale force winds etc…
Hey, John, I thought that's why they invented Windyty. :beer::beer::beer:

Also just occurred to me that if you were listening in F & E you were tuned into the Canadian weather station, which was reporting on the "Strait of Georgia, south of Nanaimo." Which is NOT where you were. Did you not check the noaa Wx channels, Windyty (not kidding) or noaa online for Haro Strait? Windyty showed the winds coming, building and then dying late afternoon, uhm, just like they actually did.

Last edited: