Companionway Hatch Storage

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
Is there a good place to store the companionway hatch on a 1981 MacGregor 25.
I usually put the hatch at the back of the main cabin and put an ice chest in front of it while sailing. While sleeping or in heavy/wavy water the hatch is in place.
Does anyone know if there is a good place to store it while sailing.
hatch storage.jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I leave mine by my garage when I go sailing, but if you want to take it with you it does actually "fit" standing up at the very rear of the cockpit.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
"Normal" sailboats divide that hatch in three pieces for easier stowage. But the Mac hatch cover is too pretty to cut up. Depending on carpentry skills, you might use tongue and groove flooring.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
"Normal" sailboats divide that hatch in three pieces for easier stowage. ...
There is nothing abnormal about the Mac 25 but with that said...

Here is an example from an H26.. the companionway is split into four boards
1633636367200.png

On my H26, I could store the boards stacked in the cockpit locker. You could easily use your existing hatch to draw a template onto some boards... When cutting the boards, you want to angle the edges so water would have to run uphill to enter through the crack... (like this -- side view)

1633636623780.png

Ive done this before on a Mac 22 and also on a Coronado 23. Cedar boards look great and if you alternate them with oak or pine you get a nice pattern. Sand smooth and varnish and it will look great. Or go with trex boards and you will never have to fuss with it again. Another neat trick is to angle a skill saw at about 45 degrees and plunge it into the face of the board a few times to creat a ventalation grid. Again you want the angle to go uphill from the outside so water can't get it from rain. Staple gun some screen over the vent slats from the inside and frame it whith some half round to hide the edges and staples and you will have a very nice looking vent that helps keep your boat from getting stanky.

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
There is nothing abnormal about the Mac 25 but with that said...

Here is an example from an H26.. the companionway is split into four boards
View attachment 199112

On my H26, I could store the boards stacked in the cockpit locker. You could easily use your existing hatch to draw a template onto some boards... When cutting the boards, you want to angle the edges so water would have to run uphill to enter through the crack... (like this -- side view)

View attachment 199114

Ive done this before on a Mac 22 and also on a Coronado 23. Cedar boards look great and if you alternate them with oak or pine you get a nice pattern. Sand smooth and varnish and it will look great. Or go with trex boards and you will never have to fuss with it again. Another neat trick is to angle a skill saw at about 45 degrees and plunge it into the face of the board a few times to creat a ventalation grid. Again you want the angle to go uphill from the outside so water can't get it from rain. Staple gun some screen over the vent slats from the inside and frame it whith some half round to hide the edges and staples and you will have a very nice looking vent that helps keep your boat from getting stanky.

I like this answer.
I think this will be a great addition to the boat. However, I would still need to store the pieces. I could put a box in the deck hatch and the boat would look better.

Still looking for hatch storage for the hatch I have now. I would like the quick easy fix for the moment. I will create the new hatch later.

I like the new idea but it will take time to complete the new hatch and make it beautiful like your picture. I like cedar and oak and it will be a great hatch.

Attachments

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I put mine behind the head up against the bulkhead- seat back. Perfect fit. Put the flat side up against the wall and the toilet holds it in place. I also have a clear smoked lexan one held in place against the bulkhead secured by mirror mounting hardware. Just like a bathroom mirror. I use that one when it is cold or raining.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
I have a Venture 21 from 1970. Its hatch looks identical to the one in the first picture in this thread. Since we camp with the boat, we always take the hatch, and lock the boat on the way to the lake and whenever we are going to be away from the boat. When sailing I put the hatch cover in the V berth in the front of the boat. There have been times when we were sailing and got caught in a rain storm when it was nice to use the hatch to close up the boat so the inside did not get wet.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Throw it in the V-berth forward if you're out for a daysail.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
In my 26S, when sailing I just toss the cover into the double berth under the cockpit. When at anchor, it provides a little extra "counter space" when placed across the engine well.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
Thank you! to Pat Farley. I've been having this boat for ten years and you just caused me to learn something. The loose companionway hatch fits exactly on top of the sliding hatch. Three pieces of industrial Velcro (or 3M equivalent) and it has a new home.