Hunter legend 37.5 Port and Stbd rod rigging set up inside the boat

Oct 20, 2017
Hunter Legend 37.5 langkawi
Dear All,
Am planning to do a circumnavigation starting in 2023, and am preparing the boat. A concern I have is the interior chainplates which appear to be glassed in.
I have attached some pictures.
All stays are new but all stays are only strong if the chainplates are sound and there is no way to check this with this construction.
i have contacted hunter but no reply .
i hope there are likeminded owners who have managed to strengthen this or is anyone recorded any issues with this with their own boats.
Please do feedback. Am now based in Malaysia.
Thanks and awaiting your feedback and thoughts.
rgds
Fabian

( I may be reachable directly to floraldestiny12@gmail.com)

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Fabian, different model boat here, but you should be able to make a small opening where the steel rod enters the cover in your picture. Underneath you should see the rod connected to a large steel fastener and then to a bracket that is bedded in the hull FRP. As long as these parts show no signs of corrosion, the chainplate connections should be strong enough for your purpose. If serious corrosion exists, then some rebuilding may be in order.

Best wishes on your circumnavigation.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree. If you remove the little trim piece around the rod/nut, you should be able to see a little of the anchor for the rod. if there is no corrosion on top or around the rod threads, you are OK. The way that problems happen with those rod anchors is waater leaking down the rod from outside. The corrosion starts at the hole in the anchor usually. You may be able to take a strong magnet and find the end of the buried/glassed-in anchor, the ends may be 12-20 inches from the rod. you could drill a small hole past the end and use a boroscope/endoscope to look at he underside of the rod anchor bar. Something like this:
Industrial Endoscope, SKYBASIC Digital Borescope Sewer Camera IP67 Waterproof 4.3 Inch LCD Screen HD Snake Camera Inspection Camera with 6 LED Lights, Semi-Rigid Cable, 32GB Card and Tool -16.5FT: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Not recommending that one just using it as an example.

Oct 20, 2017
Hi Fabian, different model boat here, but you should be able to make a small opening where the steel rod enters the cover in your picture. Underneath you should see the rod connected to a large steel fastener and then to a bracket that is bedded in the hull FRP. As long as these parts show no signs of corrosion, the chainplate connections should be strong enough for your purpose. If serious corrosion exists, then some rebuilding may be in order.

Best wishes on your circumnavigation.
Thks Terry.
Looks like first step would be to drill or cut the top to allow access or view to the bottom below the threaded section.
still if you know anyone or any other hunter having issues with this, would be good to have a discussion.
i wonder if there are any boats doing ocean passages, and what are their issues, if any

Oct 20, 2017
I agree. If you remove the little trim piece around the rod/nut, you should be able to see a little of the anchor for the rod. if there is no corrosion on top or around the rod threads, you are OK. The way that problems happen with those rod anchors is waater leaking down the rod from outside. The corrosion starts at the hole in the anchor usually. You may be able to take a strong magnet and find the end of the buried/glassed-in anchor, the ends may be 12-20 inches from the rod. you could drill a small hole past the end and use a boroscope/endoscope to look at he underside of the rod anchor bar. Something like this:
Industrial Endoscope, SKYBASIC Digital Borescope Sewer Camera IP67 Waterproof 4.3 Inch LCD Screen HD Snake Camera Inspection Camera with 6 LED Lights, Semi-Rigid Cable, 32GB Card and Tool -16.5FT: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Not recommending that one just using it as an example.
The kloudie. Will definitely check, if you do know any other Hunters doing ocean crossings , would be good to check with them

Dec 25, 2000
i wonder if there are any boats doing ocean passages, and what are their issues, if any
No matter the boat, Fabian, ocean passages test all components and systems and they all have issues. Stuff breaks. All you can do is prepare as best as possible. Several books on that topic; well worth reading to help you prepare. Will this be a solo passage?

Karen Thorndike was the first woman to do a solo circumnavigation on a 36 foot sloop mostly around the southern hemisphere. Having a wind vane was key to steering the boat on her long passages, a good lee cloth, strong safety equipment, storm sails, etc.

Unless you have done long passages before, it might be worthwhile to do a few as crew to learn what other skippers have done to prepare.

Oct 20, 2017
No matter the boat, Fabian, ocean passages test all components and systems and they all have issues. Stuff breaks. All you can do is prepare as best as possible. Several books on that topic; well worth reading to help you prepare. Will this be a solo passage?

Karen Thorndike was the first woman to do a solo circumnavigation on a 36 foot sloop mostly around the southern hemisphere. Having a wind vane was key to steering the boat on her long passages, a good lee cloth, strong safety equipment, storm sails, etc.

Unless you have done long passages before, it might be worthwhile to do a few as crew to learn what other skippers have done to prepare.
Terry,
plan to sail with 2 or 3 persons, incl myself.
the prep work for the boat started in 2017, and we planned to leave in 2022, but Covid screwed that up.
if you are ok , we can chat via FB messenger or by whatapp, my number is +60194701419.

Dec 25, 2000
if you are ok , we can chat via FB messenger or by whatapp, my number is +60194701419.
Sorry, Fabian. Not on FB or whatapp. However, you can send me a private message via this site and I will gladly help out where I can. Full disclosure here, I've never done an ocean passage before. All my many years of cruising experiences have come from our Pacific Northwest waters including several extended two month cruises into British Columbia.