Furling main replacement

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I need to replace my furling main this winter. Has anyone replaced theirs?

If so what sail maker did you use and are you happy with it?

Gary

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I recently replaced my furling cross-cut Dacron mainsail. Most sail lofts can fabricate one for you AFTER you or the loft takes the required measurements. The bigger question is sail material (Dacron, laminate, etc.), sail weight (depends on wind conditions and boat size), and construction for coastal crusing, off-shore, etc. and partial battens. The new mainsail is a non-battened, tri-radial cruising laminate with off-shore construction for long life. Very happy with the new laminate mainsail, espeacially since it furls in and out of the mast easier and offers lower stretch. Happy to provide all the details if you would like them.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Yes very happy.
Just make sure whatever sail type you use...
The cut angles of sail matches old sail perfectly.
Jim...

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
The previous owner of my boat had the mainsail fabricated by Super Sailmakers in Ft. Lauderdale. I bring this up because it is an excellent sail and has 3 vertical battens. I have seen people state that you cannot have battens with inmast furling which is not true. The battens really help sail shape and the sail furls and unfurls very well. The sail is more than 10 years old (I have owned the boat for 9) so if I have to replace it I will go back to this same company.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I recently replaced my furling cross-cut Dacron mainsail. Most sail lofts can fabricate one for you AFTER you or the loft takes the required measurements. The bigger question is sail material (Dacron, laminate, etc.), sail weight (depends on wind conditions and boat size), and construction for coastal crusing, off-shore, etc. and partial battens. The new mainsail is a non-battened, tri-radial cruising laminate with off-shore construction for long life. Very happy with the new laminate mainsail, espeacially since it furls in and out of the mast easier and offers lower stretch. Happy to provide all the details if you would like them.
I would be very interested to see the details. Want to see various options and it helps to hear from the owner instead of the loft. I’m on a smaller lake and our sailing is for shorter times so a sail that furlers well is a big plus.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
The previous owner of my boat had the mainsail fabricated by Super Sailmakers in Ft. Lauderdale. I bring this up because it is an excellent sail and has 3 vertical battens. I have seen people state that you cannot have battens with inmast furling which is not true. The battens really help sail shape and the sail furls and unfurls very well. The sail is more than 10 years old (I have owned the boat for 9) so if I have to replace it I will go back to this same company.
I’m a bit amazed to hear vertical battens work well on a 310. I will check your sailmaker as an option. I spend three winter month in Florida so possible to visit them. Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I’m a bit amazed to hear vertical battens work well on a 310.
That is a helpful conclusion, however, it would seem to me that the more appropriate question is NOT related to the boat, but rather the manufacturer of the furling gear and mast YOU have on YOUR boat. Unless ALL C310s came with the same mast & furling system, that is. :) I'd simply rephrase the question to: "For those with C310s with (Selden?) furling mast systems..."

After that the usual results for buying new sails almost always devolves to 1) material and weight and 2) local vs. bulk purchases, with the obvious advantages being service vs. cost.

All the best, happy hunting.

Feb 21, 2013
I would be very interested to see the details. Want to see various options and it helps to hear from the owner instead of the loft. I’m on a smaller lake and our sailing is for shorter times so a sail that furlers well is a big plus.
Furling mainsail floorcard with the construction details attached. Sail material was Contender CDX Pro Grey 9 / CDX Pro Grey 11.

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
My furling mast (sail 307 built in 2005) is Charleston Spar. I believe all the furling masts were CS, but then there were differences between California and Florida built boats. My main was replaced in 2015 by Shurr Sails in Pensacola FL. They took measurements from the old sail, made the new one, and helped install it.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
My 310 also has a Charleston Spar mast. Boat is hull #1 from 1999 made in CA but mast was replaced in 2006 because PO wanted inmast furling.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Had both sails replaced by North Sails an found the performace increase by 0.5-1 kt in 10 kt winds

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have seen people state that you cannot have battens with inmast furling which is not true.
True and really great for racing.

Those battens are special made, thin and curved with the sail shape.
Furls inside nicely.;)

Jim...

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
Good point Stu. My 2001 haul 104 has a Charleston Spar mast. Not sure where it was built. It has had a pretty easy life. We bought it 2007 and it has been on a small lake ever since.

The main sail is 20 years old and starting to come apart. I had it repaired a couple years ago and that changed the shape a bit and made it harder to get out of the furler. I am careful to roll it up tight. It is also hard to install because the bead is very tight and gets harder as the sail goes up. Makes me glad I only do it once a year.

I don’t race it because I don’t want to take the canvas down but everyone likes good performance and I crew for my son on his 34 Catalina when he races once in awhile. I also spend a lot of time doing a couple Jr Sailing camps and weekend Sunfish races for the kids so just happy to go out and sail.

I’m looking for a sail that works good with the furling system. It doesn’t need to be a heavy material. Mostly we sail in winds 5 to 15 knots on short tacks.

i appreciate hearing what other owners are buying.

Gary

Feb 21, 2013
.........I’m looking for a sail that works good with the furling system. It doesn’t need to be a heavy material...........
Best mainsail I found for in-mast is a tri-radial cruising laminate like Contender CDX Pro. Easier to unfurl, furler and holds its shape.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That is a helpful conclusion, however, it would seem to me that the more appropriate question is NOT related to the boat, but rather the manufacturer of the furling gear and mast YOU have on YOUR boat. Unless ALL C310s came with the same mast & furling system, that is. :) I'd simply rephrase the question to: "For those with C310s with (Selden?) furling mast systems..."
I just learned this from my dock neighbor who has a Hunter 310. Very experienced sailor. He's been frustrated by the difficulty with furling his in mast main. I mentioned another friend with a Hunter 33 seems to have no problem with in mast furling.
He explained that Hunter didn't use the same in mast system on all their boats. Some systems work very well and some, like his, do not.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We have for Years bought our Sails From Al Declerq @ Doyle/Quantum Sails Detroit I would do my due Diligence and ask a potential sailmaker what expierence they have, what product and what price. We have trusted Al, make sure you find someone you trust with a Good Reputation also. COMPARE, Best Wishes, let us know!