Quest Water Pipe Size

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to winterize our 1996 Hunter 376 for the first time. I'd like to add a water heater bypass, but am unsure as to the piping size to acquire the proper fittings.

I'm 99% sure that the piping is Quest (grey color, pex type fittings--see attached pic), but I'm unsure. I see lots of 1/2" connections available when I searched for Quest tubing/connections online, but I know Hunter sometimes used metric connections as well, so I'm not sure if that's the proper size.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to measure last time we were up at the boat and a familial medical issue has kept me away for the last month or so (everyone is fine, just limited mobility) (we live about 4 hours away from where the boat is stored).

Would someone with a similar vintage boat know the size top of head (or be willing to measure)?

Thanks!
Doug

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I hope someone knows. I don't. It's very hard to tell a size from a photo. And even if you show a coin for sizing, it's usually the inside diameter that counts. And that depends on wall thickness.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Just measured a Qest fitting and it's 1/2" ID. The factory installation tubing (1999) was PEX with 1/2" OD and 3/8" ID.

Have not seen any metric Qest fittings so you're safe with 1/2" fittings.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Awesome. Thank you! Fittings are on their way...and, now that I see it's spelled "Qest" I see that this topic has been covered before...thanks for the info and sorry for the redundancy!

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
FYI here is how I did install the bypass on my water heater with the same Qest fitting as yours. In the Winter position the tank cold water inlet and hot water outlet are shut off and the bypass is opened. Summer position is obviously reversed. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Helpful
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I'm getting ready to winterize our 1996 Hunter 376 for the first time. I'd like to add a water heater bypass, but am unsure as to the piping size to acquire the proper fittings.
Hi Doug, just a note to let you know the importance of putting these fittings together properly. We have the same half inch Qest product on our 1991 boat. Very durable, and reliable when installed per spec. Wrote an article awhile ago about our system, a leak that I fixed and the outcome. That article follows:

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
@Terry Cox -- This is a great write up -- thanks for sharing!

@Claude L.-Auger -- Thanks for the pictures! This is similar to what I was imagining (looks like the set up in our RV)--it's great to see what it looks like outside of my imagination.