Hunter 33 Reefing line boom internals

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
The PO never had a reefing line running through the boom. I'd like run a line through and I'd like to know what I'm up against.

First of all, is it possible to run a reefing line without an existing line and without opening the boom ends?

Next, if I open the ends what should I expect? Should I expect it to "explode" and pieces go flying everywhere?

Originally, what size lines were ran through the boom for the reefing line and the outhaul?

Thanks for the help!

-Rick

Last edited:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Lots of info in these recent threads:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Mine has two reefing lines and an outhaul line. Outhaul has some blocks inside to provide purchase. Forget the details. When I replaced them I took the boom off and removed the ends. Should be doable on yours. Be careful not to oversize the lines. I think mine are 1/4" or 5/16". 3/8" is too big for the sheaves. Take care to not cross the lines in the boom. Kenyon still has the parts for the ends. Rig rite sells these. Suggest using different colors for the control lines. I have labels "First" and "Second" on the respective sides of the boom for the reef lines which helps. I think you need to do this with the boom off and the ends removed.

Edit: I believe there is one block with a becket on the outhaul to provide two to one purchase.

Last edited:
  • Helpful

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Thanks Roy! That makes sense about the two reefing lines. Mine is missing both.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
You're best off pulling off at least one end, probably the forward end because the internal blocks for the outhaul are most likely shot . I drilled out my rivets, tapped threads and used stainless bolts in place of the rivets . I prefer instant access so I always replace rivets with threaded fasteners when I can. 5/16 sounds about right . While I was there I set the outhaul up to come back to the cockpit. Also the reefing lines. Very convenient and easy to use. I could take a reef in a couple of minutes from the cockpit, never venturing up on deck for that .

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
If the reef line are "missing", the internal blocks probably are too.
If so, you'll need to rebuilt the system from scratch.

Have you found any errant blocks stored away somewhere?

Rabe

May 15, 2019
If the reef line are "missing", the internal blocks probably are too.
If so, you'll need to rebuilt the system from scratch.
The reef lines have internal blocks? I thought they'd be straight through. The outhaul I'm sure has internal blocks.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
No blocks on your reef lines internally. There are small sheaves at both ends of the boom, total four. At the mast end of the boom there are two levers for locking the reef lines when they are deployed. I use 5/16" line. I tried 3/8" but that was too large. All original Kenyon parts should still be available.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Roy S is correct. My brain must have been in 'outhaul' fixation mode. :facepalm:

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Wow! I would have never guessed this stuff is still available. Looks like they have the mast too!!
You’ll pay dearly at Rig-Rite. They’ve got a monopoly on the old spars and parts, and you’ll wait for ever for availability.
Check out Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company (DAMCo) who have many of the same sections (the Kenyon 3625 ‘teardrop’ section for the H25 being an exception). Also they are very nice people. Get out your micrometers and compare apples and apples.

Diana’s masthead channel for double halyards is a DAMCo 1015. I’ve used a lot of their stuff actually. My wish list includes a whole new boom from them with internal halyards and integral line stoppers.