Hunter passage 42 forward window

Apr 6, 2020
hunter 42 ventura
I purchased this boat with a poorly installed forward window. I removed the old window(plastic) and traced the old window, filled the cracks with filler, ordered new plastic, added more holes for screws and tried installing the new window. The window cracked during installation. Has anyone replaced their large forward window on a 42’ or similar? Any recommendations?

Attachments

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
One of the moderators needs to move this to another forum (perhaps Ask All Sailors) to give it more visibility.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Suggest you check with the chandlery on this site. On my 40.5, the windshield is curved and my installer had to have it oven-bent to fit. Good luck! OBTW, the screws don't hold it in. Dow 795 does that. The screws are removed after otherwise it can crack.

Apr 6, 2020
hunter 42 ventura
Suggest you check with the chandlery on this site. On my 40.5, the windshield is curved and my installer had to have it oven-bent to fit. Good luck! OBTW, the screws don't hold it in. Dow 795 does that. The screws are removed after otherwise it can crack.
Thanks for the info. Curious, how do the screws crack the window once the caulk has cured? I don’t see the harm in leaving the screws so long as they’re not tightened too much. Thanks again!

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I have had good luck using a good heat gun (not a blow dryer) to warm the plastic as I screw it down. I would tighten the screws a until plastic was flexed a bit and run heat gun. when done right you can watch the plastic relax into place. Tighten some more and repeat. Dont focus the heat in one place to long. I was also working with 1/4 inch plexiglass. This my not work well for thicker plastics.
If you get the stress out of the plastic no need to worry about screws cracking the plastic.
best of luck Dano

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Thanks for the info. Curious, how do the screws crack the window once the caulk has cured? I don’t see the harm in leaving the screws so long as they’re not tightened too much. Thanks again!
The difference in the level of expansion & contraction between the FRP and Plexiglass can put strain on the screws whereas the mastic will allow some difference.

Sep 3, 2022
Hunter Passage 42 Annapolis 40 years
I know this is and older thread but, I just replaced my windshield on my 1990 Passage 42 with a new cast acrylic one.
I had to fabricate a female mold as there seems to be no source for the replacement.
The mold is still available and the company who provided the acrylic and oven are readily in business.

If you are still looking for a replacement, reach out to me and I will give you their contact info.
Quality shop and quick turn around, like three days !!

Chris
S/V Bluebird