Small dog Ramp/Step Recommendations for hatchway Catalina 27

Jul 31, 2020
Catalina 27 Anacortes
I am looking for ideas and recommendations for ways to allow our 14# dog to have access in and out of cabin on my sailboat? Ideally not covering stairs completely so people access is still usable. Thanks in advance. BC

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Head sail. That sounds like a dog/owner problem. What have you been doing to the dog. Flying him around the mast in a harness?
Yes, it probably was an owner problem. The owner passed away and left it with a friend who leaves it with me. He's getting better but a few vicious snarls makes me hesitant to push him.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just snarl back... You have to establish who is the Alpha in the relationship... Sounds like the dog may have a good snarl...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I am looking for ideas and recommendations for ways to allow our 14# dog to have access in and out of cabin on my sailboat?
Carry him. It's a tiny dog. Even people with 70lb dogs often do that, depending on the companionway ladder.
Better that you fully control when the pooch is on deck anyhow.

What have you been doing to the dog. Flying him around the mast in a harness?
The poor pup may have been crew on a Hobie Cat and is expecting to be abused by the captain while on a trapeze ?

He's getting better but a few vicious snarls makes me hesitant to push him.

Yup. Just takes time. Dogs are amazingly adaptable given enough time being gradually exposed to things they are uncomfortable with. We have fostered a few mutts that were labeled problem.pooches. So far they have all come around.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I had a 14 lb terrier that could easily jump the 4 ft picket fence in my front yard.
Jack Russell ? Hehe

Not surprised with a terrier.

We fostered a Border Collie mix that once climbed a tree by running up the trunk like someone doing Parkour.
She got into the first Y, and was trying the walk out on the big limb to get at a squirrel. Goofy mutt with energy to spare.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Just snarl back... You have to establish who is the Alpha in the relationship... Sounds like the dog may have a good snarl...
Not only do the teeth come out, he's fast as lightning going for my hand. The owner tried to tame him by snipping his gonads but that probably just T-ed him off. Funny thing is he's still trilled to see me as long as I don't say "wanna go to the boat"?.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
We have a 15# Lhasa and at 10 weeks he jumped over the companionway door and fell down the 5-6 steps and only once have I seen him run up the steps to the cockpit. To be honest I'd rather carry him. The last thing I need is an independent dog at my feet in bad conditions.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i spent a couple days building a beautiful folding wooden 'dog ramp ' with stainless hinges. I installed indoor- outdoor carpet on one side for little doggie feet to get a good grip. got some good line to attach it securely between boat and dock. padded it at boat end to protect my gel coat, put friction pads to kep it in place on the dock side and a padded lip on the other side to fit over the coaming of the boat. i cetol'd it, put 2 rope handles on it, cleverly designed it so i could use it as a fenderboard against crummy docks.

my 4 month australian shepherd puppy took one look at the thing, and took a flying leap into the cockpit.